Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky - elixir of life

There's Tamnavulin Sherry Cask and there's Tamnavulin Double Cask (which confusingly, according to the label is finished in Sherry casks). The packaging of both is very similar - as far as I can see only the wording on the label is different.
I can't remember which of these Tamnavulins I first tasted and became a fan of. Currently I have the sherry cask and it's just a really nice, inexpensive dram.
Sherry is the better IMO - double cask a bit too sweet.

NOD is out in Sweden - she has been effectively stuck in Stockholm for 4 months due to the C19 travel and quarantine restrictions.

Purely fortuitously I found this on Amazon - I never knew Sweden produced whisky, let alone single malt. It’s 48%. It arrived this afternoon and I’ll try a wee dram on Friday evening.

Has anyone tried it?

40B13C9E-718A-445E-B508-A8A7F73678B0.jpeg

TamH70

MIA
NOD is out in Sweden - she has been effectively stuck in Stockholm for 4 months due to the C19 travel and quarantine restrictions.

Purely fortuitously I found this on Amazon - I never knew Sweden produced whisky, let alone single malt. It’s 48%. It arrived this afternoon and I’ll try a wee dram on Friday evening.

Has anyone tried it?

View attachment 541730

I must confess I haven't heard of that brand, but I am passingly familiar with Swedish Whisky as I bought a bottle of this for Christmas last year. For myself, obviously...

Mackmyra Svensk Ek ¦ MACKMYRA – Mackmyra Store

It's quite nice. V. stronk. Coincidentally, I got mine from Amazon too, as it was a lot cheaper.

I mentioned to my girlfriend last year that I just didn't 'get' whisky and wished that I could enjoy it.

Since then for Christmas and my Birthday I have been gifted Whisky :) ....which is rather nice.

Today was an all out effort and I recieved the Highland Park 12, a book of Whisky appreciation, cold rocks and a really lovely whisky glass.

Looks like I had better get to grips with this drink.

IMG_2490.jpg

The Jamesons is there as a baseline as that is the only Whiskey that I can usually enjoy. Something to do with the sweetness and smokeyness from the sherry barrels.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Interesting new bottle! Fits with the gulping vibe.
(bought some [at what must now be] a year back at the teaser price for a new brew, probably £18. Didn't spin my wheels, mate who likes the good stuff hated it BUT 'a malt for less than £20 is always a bit of a bargain'. Like Glen Keith, it's something with a bit of character.)
Yeah, I'm thinking about trying it again

Has anyone tried it?

View attachment 541730
Nope but, the more competition the merrier IMO.

I mentioned to my girlfriend last year that I just didn't 'get' whisky and wished that I could enjoy it.

Since then for Christmas and my Birthday I have been gifted Whisky :) ....which is rather nice.

Today was an all out effort and I recieved the Highland Park 12, a book of Whisky appreciation, cold rocks and a really lovely whisky glass.

Looks like I had better get to grips with this drink.

View attachment 542166

The Jamesons is there as a baseline as that is the only Whiskey that I can usually enjoy. Something to do with the sweetness and smokeyness from the sherry barrels.
Give the Dalwhinnie a bash, not quite my cup of tea but I reckon you'll find it least offensive if your taste bus aren't attuned to whisky.

With the glasses and packaging, seems reasonable. I’d have a punt.
Arran distillery has been serious from day one, and apparently some are good.
I‘d like to try some.
The early bottlings were a bit rough (particularly the original 100 proof), but it has improved significantly.

Got one of these recently:
Very nice. More later.
Back to my everyday drinkers. White & Mackay regular blended. Bought as it was on offer for a litre bottle in Sainsbury’s .
A sweet, smooth slurper. My benchmark is Grouse, and at first, I thought this was underperforming. It is sweeter and more mellow. I think that could lead one to overlook it. But the blends are excellent, so it’s a 75 from me .
For newcomers (hah) Grouse is the benchmark of 80.

Last edited:

Teeblerone

War Hero
Got one of these recently:
Very nice. More later.
Back to my everyday drinkers. White & Mackay regular blended. Bought as it was on offer for a litre bottle in Sainsbury’s .
A sweet, smooth slurper. My benchmark is Grouse, and at first, I thought this was underperforming. It is sweeter and more mellow. I think that could lead one to overlook it. But the blends are excellent, so it’s a 75 from me .
For newcomers (hah) Grouse is the benchmark of 80.
Funny enough, I saw the last dram of that Bunnahbabhain off last night. Good stuff - a bit different, some oomph to it. Unchill-filtered and uncoloured.
And the W&M is a great blend, agreed.