Whisky - elixir of life

pinback2001

War Hero
In my early days of working in a biochemistry lab. we used to order in 2 litre bottles of Analar pure ethanol for use in chromatography. A special licence was required to buy this stuff, and as I recall in the 1970s it was in the region of £280 a bottle, Obviously I had to try a wee nip of this, but it was impossible to drink, as it evaporated as soon as you got it in your mouth leaving a vile aftertaste. Cut 50/50 with water then 50/50 with orange juice was ok though.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
In my early days of working in a biochemistry lab. we used to order in 2 litre bottles of Analar pure ethanol for use in chromatography. A special licence was required to buy this stuff, and as I recall in the 1970s it was in the region of £280 a bottle, Obviously I had to try a wee nip of this, but it was impossible to drink, as it evaporated as soon as you got it in your mouth leaving a vile aftertaste. Cut 50/50 with water then 50/50 with orange juice was ok though.
I have had white spirit straight off the still.
It perfectly fits your description re evaporation and leaving a vile aftertaste.

Little known fact, Air Marshal Sir Arthur Tedder RAF grew up in the excise cottage at Glengoyne distillery on the way to the Trossachs. His father was the excise man.

I never touch whisky since the Sauchiehall Street incident in 2005.

However, a chap I get bespoke wood products hand made by in Carrbridge near Aviemore, Dougie, recently purchased a few dozen old casks from the Strathspey distillery for making a bar and some other items, including towel rails for me.

All empty.

Left them outside for a few weeks whilst he worked on other stuff. Quite warm.

Suddenly there's a few good litres in each cask of whisky. Devils Share apparently - the stuff that had soaked into the wood. I took a snifter, rude not to, and it's ******* gorgeous. Yes been collecting it in tin land and whatever else he's got to hand. I took some away in a water bottle!

I'm up next week -- unknown vintage but at least 12 years. Let me know if anyone wants me to grab them some. He is asking for cash but doesn't know how to price it, so let me know what you want via PM and how much you'll offer for it, if he has any left. All gen up, will send video / pics as well.

Cheers!

View attachment 404553

Honest, it's not piss.
Watch you don't go blind....can't beat the blue flame test.

Most Italian supermarkets sell pure spirit for about a tenner a bottle, so the locals can knock up Limoncello, or their favourite liqueur.........

Used to use a pot still in Saudi before graduating to a cracking column.

From a 10% sugar water mash used to get around 80% pure, the column was better at around 92%

Although it was almost odourless, and not an unpleasant smell, pretty undrinkable at that strength. Had to be cut. Most booze is around 42%.
Bacardi 151. ABV: 75.5% ... Devil's Springs Vodka. ABV: 80% ... Denros Strong Rum. ABV: 80% ... Balkan 176 Vodka. ABV: 88% ... Pincer Shanghai Strength. ABV: 88.8% ... Absinthe Hapsburg Hardcore. ABV: 89.9% ... Everclear Grain alcohol. ABV: 75%–95% ... Spirytus Vodka. ABV: 95%

Used to use a pot still in Saudi before graduating to a cracking column.

From a 10% sugar water mash used to get around 80% pure, the column was better at around 92%

Although it was almost odourless, and not an unpleasant smell, pretty undrinkable at that strength. Had to be cut. Most booze is around 42%.
Bacardi 151. ABV: 75.5% ... Devil's Springs Vodka. ABV: 80% ... Denros Strong Rum. ABV: 80% ... Balkan 176 Vodka. ABV: 88% ... Pincer Shanghai Strength. ABV: 88.8% ... Absinthe Hapsburg Hardcore. ABV: 89.9% ... Everclear Grain alcohol. ABV: 75%–95% ... Spirytus Vodka. ABV: 95%
Used to buy some stuff called Sediki from the Saudi moonshiners(via our government relations chappie).

Used to buy some stuff called Sediki from the Saudi moonshiners(via our government relations chappie).
My compounds at Riyadh and Khobar were awash with the filthy stuff (but far more so with Chateau Riyadh red), as were the compounds of a certain well-known aircraft manufacturer, and their in-house public houses (for they did have them) would flavour the muck with all sorts of vile food additives.

However, the discerning whisky taster would be in touch with the friendly local smuggler, whose 20ft containers from B****** plied the routes to and from the source weekly; stuffed, chokka kabisa and rammed with Johnny Walker Black. To you, sir, a mere 300% up on the Western market price. The leading man in this field tried to lure me into his employ with a very, very enticing bribe salary, but my principles held firm. Others have tried to bribe employ me, but all failed to spot that I'm chicken-hearted when such activity could involve residence in a local temperance nick.

From the Arabic Sadiq meaning friend.

If people were making Sid to sell they ran it through a pot still twice. Had an unpleasant tase and would give a hangover. Your more upmarket producers would run it three times, reasonably acceptable but took longer with less finished product and accordingly commanded higher price.

If you were making it for yourself...and were slightly fussy about what you drank it was run 4 times. This resulted in a very reduced...and refined end product which was pretty damned good by Vodka standards. Matured on Oak chips, from whisker/Bourbon barrels if possible, and you got Brown Sid which was a very smooth and pleasant beverage.

I would begin with a 10 gall mash which started with a kilo of sugar per gallon of water. With that a packet of high alcohol tolerant wine yeast that would give between a 10-13% abv. In the warm conditions that would finish fermentation in about a week.

When finished I would start running the mash on Thur afternoon ( the Saudi equivalent of Sat) using an 18Lt Pressure cooking pot with a copper condesation coil and a big immersion heater thermometer sealed into the lid. This then ran continuously until the mash had cycled through the still 4 times, on Friday evening.

It required very close attention to temperatures and the removal of the Methyl alcohol part way through the run. I would end up with about 1 gall of around 87-90% Ethyl alcohol, with the methyl (poisonous) component and the fusel oils (nasty taste) having been removed.

This was then ‘cut’ with three galls of water leaving you with 4 galls of approx 40% abv spirit of nearly hangover free jolly juice/Sid..

Amazing how fast it disappeared in the very convivial social scene that existed.

From the Arabic Sadiq meaning friend.

If people were making Sid to sell they ran it through a pot still twice. Had an unpleasant tase and would give a hangover. Your more upmarket producers would run it three times, reasonably acceptable but took longer with less finished product and accordingly commanded higher price.

If you were making it for yourself...and were slightly fussy about what you drank it was run 4 times. This resulted in a very reduced...and refined end product which was pretty damned good by Vodka standards. Matured on Oak chips, from whisker/Bourbon barrels if possible, and you got Brown Sid which was a very smooth and pleasant beverage.

I would begin with a 10 gall mash which started with a kilo of sugar per gallon of water. With that a packet of high alcohol tolerant wine yeast that would give between a 10-13% abv. In the warm conditions that would finish fermentation in about a week.

When finished I would start running the mash on Thur afternoon ( the Saudi equivalent of Sat) using an 18Lt Pressure cooking pot with a copper condesation coil and a big immersion heater thermometer sealed into the lid. This then ran continuously until the mash had cycled through the still 4 times, on Friday evening.

It required very close attention to temperatures and the removal of the Methyl alcohol part way through the run. I would end up with about 1 gall of around 87-90% Ethyl alcohol, with the methyl (poisonous) component and the fusel oils (nasty taste) having been removed.

This was then ‘cut’ with three galls of water leaving you with 4 galls of approx 40% abv spirit of nearly hangover free jolly juice/Sid..

Amazing how fast it disappeared in the very convivial social scene that existed.
Must have been the 4 run stuff we bought, add a little tonic and it was very quaffable.

My compounds at Riyadh and Khobar were awash with the filthy stuff (but far more so with Chateau Riyadh red), as were the compounds of a certain well-known aircraft manufacturer, and their in-house public houses (for they did have them) would flavour the muck with all sorts of vile food additives.

However, the discerning whisky taster would be in touch with the friendly local smuggler, whose 20ft containers from B****** plied the routes to and from the source weekly; stuffed, chokka kabisa and rammed with Johnny Walker Black. To you, sir, a mere 300% up on the Western market price. The leading man in this field tried to lure me into his employ with a very, very enticing bribe salary, but my principles held firm. Others have tried to bribe employ me, but all failed to spot that I'm chicken-hearted when such activity could involve residence in a local temperance nick.
Late 70's/early 80's when I was working out there a special dispensation was granted whereby pork sausages and bacon was available in the "western diner". This was trucked in from the UK and the refrigerated wagons were never opened at the border, once the regular drivers realised this various other "items" became available, but as you say at inflated prices.

Late 70's/early 80's when I was working out there a special dispensation was granted whereby pork sausages and bacon was available in the "western diner". This was trucked in from the UK and the refrigerated wagons were never opened at the border, once the regular drivers realised this various other "items" became available, but as you say at inflated prices.
Not in the 2000's, unfortunately. We had to have an invitation to the US Embassy for a Thursday evening ham'n'bacon'n'Guinness fest. Luckily, the Embassy had a long invitation list, and more business of every sort was conducted there than anywhere else amongst the expatriate groupings.

Now, the fecken British Embassy... What a bloody shower of shit. In every possible sucking, boring, useless, unprofessional, unmentionably pointless way. Wholly crap. Even the Greeks, French and Italians were useful to me, but not the British. Shameful but entirely true. I could talk to a professional over a glass at almost any Embassy, but the British were infected with some sort of self-righteous code which even the Saudis thought contemptible.

Breathe.

The ARAMCO/Saudi government relations chap(who was a Saudi)got a telephone call one day asking him to arrange transport to collect the furniture(3 piece suite)from the docks in Dammam, he had it shipped from the UK and it was "leaking".

The ARAMCO/Saudi government relations chap(who was a Saudi)got a telephone call one day asking him to arrange transport to collect the furniture(3 piece suite)from the docks in Dammam, he had it shipped from the UK and it was "leaking".
When needed to improvise..

As I said before I am not a whiskey expert only take a couple of tots occassionally before bed but this stuff isn't bad, 40%, smooth and at 13 Lev(6 quid) it can't be bad.
1565337180401.png

There’s a butcher in Bahrain who will re-label your pork sausages as turkey sausages for the trip over the causeway.

There’s a butcher in Bahrain who will re-label your pork sausages as turkey sausages for the trip over the causeway.
There's always someone who is willing and able. There's more than one farm in Mullingar paid for with whisky imported into KSA

When I finish a bottle of whisky I always rinse it out with a drop of water and then pour that into my next glass

When I finish a bottle of whisky I always rinse it out with a drop of water and then pour that into my next glass
That's technically 'contamination', you know?
However, a very tiny drop is good, as is a tiny cube of ice-cold ...ice...
I'm on a wee glass of 'Bulleit' at the moment, a present from WB Jnr, which although from the colonies and made from the berries over there or something, is quite good; not harsh or sharp. Reminiscent of a reasonable Irish whiskey, twice or thrice boiled up.

That's technically 'contamination', you know?
However, a very tiny drop is good, as is a tiny cube of ice-cold ...ice...
I'm on a wee glass of 'Bulleit' at the moment, a present from WB Jnr, which although from the colonies and made from the berries over there or something, is quite good; not harsh or sharp. Reminiscent of a reasonable Irish whiskey, twice or thrice boiled up.
It may be contamination but my Scottish traits transends that ;) I myself have a wee drop of Glen Moray at the moment

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads