Whisky - elixir of life

Yes the Scots are well known for their healthy life style and longevity, why not have a fried mars bar and 10 fags with every glass.
Yes, and don’t forget the chips: one for each shoulder :)
My favourite was always Lagavulin but only because I once was able to buy it at £13 per litre bottle. Sadly my supply disappeared long ago and it’s now £50 for 70cl.
I’ve bought most of the well-known single malts over the years and still buy the occasional bottle if it’s on offer- I recently went astray and tried a 45% JD Single Barrel (Whiskey!!) because it was £30 and enjoyed it very much.
But mostly I like Chivas Regal.

(Edit; incidentally, an old friend from long ago when Castlereagh was the Butlins of the Province
Ah castlereagh.I

Closest I got to the bus load of nurses.

Bus load of CMTs from a local TA unit, one fine new year's eve.

I am not a whiskey expert but do like a couple of tots just before bedding down for the night. Generally I buy a bottle of the cheapy stuff from Tesco or indeed anywhere else that I spot with an offer on. Was in Tesco and saw this stuff(pics below)on offer for nine quid, didn't have my glasses on and all I really saw was the 21.5abv. Once home I read the label properly and see it's a mixture of Scotch Whiskey and Sherry, doesn't tell you what the %'s are. Sat down that evening, filled my shot glass and took a sip.
I've drunk some vile stuff in my life but this is Gopping, don't say I haven't warned you.
It's now sat at the back of the pantry shelf where it will live unless the wife can make use of it for some sort of devilish cooking .
1563365799197.png

1563365874009.png

pinback2001

War Hero
I am not a whiskey expert but do like a couple of tots just before bedding down for the night. Generally I buy a bottle of the cheapy stuff from Tesco or indeed anywhere else that I spot with an offer on. Was in Tesco and saw this stuff(pics below)on offer for nine quid, didn't have my glasses on and all I really saw was the 21.5abv. Once home I read the label properly and see it's a mixture of Scotch Whiskey and Sherry, doesn't tell you what the %'s are. Sat down that evening, filled my shot glass and took a sip.
I've drunk some vile stuff in my life but this is Gopping, don't say I haven't warned you.
It's now sat at the back of the pantry shelf where it will live unless the wife can make use of it for some sort of devilish cooking .
View attachment 404543
View attachment 404545
Once I read the ABV it would have been put straight back. Might be good for cleaning the kitchen sink

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Who on earth came up with that idea? If you want “lighter”, add more water. It ranks with the bottle of “pink gin” that Mrs Feu said “ooh look, let’s try that”, I think it was strawberry flavour but totally gopping

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I never touch whisky since the Sauchiehall Street incident in 2005.

However, a chap I get bespoke wood products hand made by in Carrbridge near Aviemore, Dougie, recently purchased a few dozen old casks from the Strathspey distillery for making a bar and some other items, including towel rails for me.

All empty.

Left them outside for a few weeks whilst he worked on other stuff. Quite warm.

Suddenly there's a few good litres in each cask of whisky. Devils Share apparently - the stuff that had soaked into the wood. I took a snifter, rude not to, and it's ******* gorgeous. Yes been collecting it in tin land and whatever else he's got to hand. I took some away in a water bottle!

I'm up next week -- unknown vintage but at least 12 years. Let me know if anyone wants me to grab them some. He is asking for cash but doesn't know how to price it, so let me know what you want via PM and how much you'll offer for it, if he has any left. All gen up, will send video / pics as well.

Cheers!

IMG_20190513_135558.jpg

Honest, it's not piss.

View attachment 404543
View attachment 404545
A fruity little wine, best taken at street temperature from a brown paper bag...;)

Dredd

LE
I am a complete novice to whisky drinking so here's a question - which is the best kind of malt whisky? I've tried blended but to be honest given a chance between blended whisky and bourbon, bourbon would win any time.
Joining this one late and haven't read the pages in between (yet), but as a personal recommendation, a good starter malt whisky is an Islay one, Isle of Jura. Very smooth.

Jura Single Malt Scotch Whisky - Jura Whisky

Although I do like the Tain-based Glenmorangie. Avoid the Talisker or Laphroig until you have found out you have the taste (and temperament) for whisky. It can have quite an effect on the imbiber that other spirits don't,. and not for the better.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I never touch whisky since the Sauchiehall Street incident in 2005.

However, a chap I get bespoke wood products hand made by in Carrbridge near Aviemore, Dougie, recently purchased a few dozen old casks from the Strathspey distillery for making a bar and some other items, including towel rails for me.

All empty.

Left them outside for a few weeks whilst he worked on other stuff. Quite warm.

Suddenly there's a few good litres in each cask of whisky. Devils Share apparently - the stuff that had soaked into the wood. I took a snifter, rude not to, and it's ******* gorgeous. Yes been collecting it in tin land and whatever else he's got to hand. I took some away in a water bottle!

I'm up next week -- unknown vintage but at least 12 years. Let me know if anyone wants me to grab them some. He is asking for cash but doesn't know how to price it, so let me know what you want via PM and how much you'll offer for it, if he has any left. All gen up, will send video / pics as well.

Cheers!

View attachment 404553

Honest, it's not piss.
Used to be quite the perk of the leith docks police and dockers in the good old days.
Called "boul" as I recall and invariably good as long as you didn't dilute it.
Cask strength it is over 100% proof (not abv) and at that strength acts as an anaesthetic on your nose and tongue.
Dilute it to normal strength and it can be quite rough.
However, duty hasn't been paid on it and the excise will take a strong interest if they ever find out.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Used to be quite the perk of the leith docks police and dockers in the good old days.
Called "boul" as I recall and invariably good as long as you didn't dilute it.
Cask strength it is over 100% proof (not abv) and at that strength acts as an anaesthetic on your nose and tongue.
Dilute it to normal strength and it can be quite rough.
However, duty hasn't been paid on it and the excise will take a strong interest if they ever find out.
Yes, undiluted. That'd explain the feeling in the face then.

He sells it to mates for a few quid, or as is with me, gifts it as part of a wood purchase.

Excise. Hah. Ssssshhhh.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I remember my dad telling me about this and calling it the 'Angel's share'. You can bet that some little elf is getting it eventually...
Tha angels share is whatevaporates through the wood and the black lichen that grows on the whisky bonds thrives on.
This has been absorbed by the wood and subsequently leeched back out without being turned into the angels share.
I heard it referred to as boul. But devil's share may be accurate as it is can be burny stuff.

Last edited:
I remember my dad telling me about this and calling it the 'Angel's share'. You can bet that some little elf is getting it eventually...
I thought the Angels' share was the alcohol that evaporated out of the barrels during the aging process (another reason for the cask strength being much higher than the final drink).

Edit - beaten to it by jmb.

View attachment 404543
View attachment 404545
Looks like Whyte and Mackay are trying to make their own version of Drambuie and failing miserably from your post.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I thought the Angels' share was the alcohol that evaporated out of the barrels during the aging process (another reason for the cask strength being much higher than the final drink).

Edit - beaten to it by jmb.
Wahey I have finally beaten someone.

The spirit straight off the still is 100%proof. As it ages and pure spirit evaporates through the wood the percentage of water to spirit increases and the proof decreases.
When it falls below a certain level, I can't recall what, it can't legally be called whisky and can only be sold as spirit.
In bottling water is added to reduce the proof to the desired level and maximise profits.
I used to be quite the whisky afficiando, visiting distilleries every year on a boys trip.
Till the infamous Campbeltown trip last year when it all went horribly wrong. Swedish cask strength whisky was involved. That is as wrong as it sounds.
I now have a reasonable collection of various whisky which I cannot bring myself to open.
Hopefully it will pass.

Last edited:
The spirit straight off the still is 100%proof.
Pedantry warning.

Proof is not a percentage, it's measured in degrees proof. The UK and US systems are different, the US proof is just double the ABV %, the UK system was bloody weird and went up to 170 degrees from memory. Allegedly (and my memory may be playing tricks on me here) the 'proof' of a spirit was to soak gunpowder and light it. If the spirit contained too much water the gunpowder wouldn't light.

Also, under normal atmospheric conditions the maximum strength obtained from distillation is 95.6% alcohol - the alcohol/water mix is an azeotrope and boils at a lower temperature than pure alcohol.

End of pedantry.

Joining this one late and haven't read the pages in between (yet), but as a personal recommendation, a good starter malt whisky is an Islay one, Isle of Jura. Very smooth.

Jura Single Malt Scotch Whisky - Jura Whisky

Although I do like the Tain-based Glenmorangie. Avoid the Talisker or Laphroig until you have found out you have the taste (and temperament) for whisky. It can have quite an effect on the imbiber that other spirits don't,. and not for the better.
SiL has just jetted-in from the UAE, and during a brief stop-over at LHR bought me a bottle of Lagavulin for putting-up with her sister.

My niece from the US has just been staying on on arrival presented me with an old favourite of mine. Swing.

A lovely little sip, unfortunately only found in the US being made originally for the White Star line hence the rounded bottom of the bottle allowing it to rock without falling over.

He rambles on a bit, so have a moment, and despite being being Scottish must have kissed the Blarney Stone. He does however seems to know whiskey and Johny Walker, and I thought I knew most of their range... turns out I didn't. However airport shops very rarely stock in and even in the US it is proving hard to find.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads