Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky - elixir of life

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
I’ve got a bottle of Shackleton on the shelf, it keeps getting passed over for drinking, there’s always something newer to open. Is it any good?
IIRC from what a pipie taught me that many Scotches are merely cooking scotches fit for making caramel -- but a truly well-aged Lagavulin seduced my taste buds and now I will never look back on lesser whiskies

IIRC from what a pipie taught me that many Scotches are merely cooking scotches fit for making caramel -- but a truly well-aged Lagavulin seduced my taste buds and now I will never look back on lesser whiskies
Aye but you are missing out on some other lovely whiskies . On a dreich dour night a Lagavulin does go down a treat but on other nights do not be blinkered

Teeblerone

War Hero
It's a very fine whisky!
There are many out there that you might never consider, well worth going for a tasting at a shop.
Mate of mine (who I never had down as a fan of peat & iodine), donated some great samples of Bunnhabhain & Octomore. One is just too much, for me - your mileage may vary etc. etc. Both worth a try!
(pm if you want a diatribe about what crisps are best and why :) )

View attachment 523664

Any of you lot have any experience with the above? I just ordered a bottle, with a bottle of this to go with it.

View attachment 523666

Needless to say I won't be adding sales to the firearms industry for a bit.
Sadly not, the KGV is collectors stuff really, prolly be very good, not had Kaiyo either - bet it would be more to my taste.

It's a very fine whisky!
There are many out there that you might never consider, well worth going for a tasting at a shop.
Mate of mine (who I never had down as a fan of peat & iodine), donated some great samples of Bunnhabhain & Octomore. One is just too much, for me - your mileage may vary etc. etc. Both worth a try!
(pm if you want a diatribe about what crisps are best and why :) )
Canny bag o' Tudor Tomato Sauce...

KGV is Christmas sipping juice. We might as well make the most of 2020.
I agree entirely on making the most of it. Diageo aren't going to produce crap at that price and they produce for their markets - I'd like a bash at it but it's out of my range and....if I was going to break my self imposed limit I'd stick with Springbank/Longrow/Hazelburn.

Happy Thanksgiving....

As a southern jessie, I'll have to say......epic snacks! On a par with pickled onion walkers/monster munch. Hawayyyyyy!!
I actually made my own the other week, using a mandolin, tons of salt and fresh pepper. First time I've done it in around 5 years. Nearly went back and did another batch.

I agree entirely on making the most of it. Diageo aren't going to produce crap at that price and they produce for their markets - I'd like a bash at it but it's out of my range and....if I was going to break my self imposed limit I'd stick with Springbank/Longrow/Hazelburn.

Happy Thanksgiving....
It was not cheap, even on sale. But I did drop the same amount for 50 rounds of 7.62 NATO a month and a half ago. So why not? You only live once and you can’t take the Denarii with you.

I bought this last year and a Laphroaig set they were on offer at the local supermarket and the glasses are great as they are not huge but enough for a dram and you can have two or three a night and not feel as though you are overdoing it Plus they are difficult to knock over If you see them on offer this year go for it
View attachment 523313

Got one of these last week as a gift. Not opened yet.

Got this the other week from Tesco. Reduced to £20 with the clubcard offer (although i think its went back up again) Very smooth. Nice.
1606402221320.png

jmb3296

War Hero
Ooh a ten year old Grants. Don’t think I’ve seen one of theirs on this thread before ( no doubt I will be corrected)
I have t tried or heard of Aerstone before but at that price I am sorely tempted.
I have sampled a lot of their single malts at a distillery tasting before and haven’t yet found one I didn’t like.
Nice

Ooh a ten year old Grants. Don’t think I’ve seen one of theirs on this thread before ( no doubt I will be corrected)
I have t tried or heard of Aerstone before but at that price I am sorely tempted.
I have sampled a lot of their single malts at a distillery tasting before and haven’t yet found one I didn’t like.
Nice

Def worth it.

Lots of Bargains today in Morrisons 10 year old Laphroaig £26 and Talisker Skye £26 is the two I bought myself for Christmas

Got this the other week from Tesco. Reduced to £20 with the clubcard offer (although i think its went back up again) Very smooth. Nice.
View attachment 523903
Tesco, Morrisons and Asda have been belting out reduced stuff for about a month, on and off.

TamH70

MIA
Tesco, Morrisons and Asda have been belting out reduced stuff for about a month, on and off.

You get even more off of Tesco's spirit range if you have a Clubcard. Even up here in Weefreeistan, where cheapish booze is verboten.

You get even more off of Tesco's spirit range if you have a Clubcard. Even up here in Weefreeistan, where cheapish booze is verboten.
It's the only way you get to buy their offers I believe. I downloaded the app to buy some stuff which was on on offer t'other week - not whisky mind.

Worth having a look at Waitrose too. They have some different whiskies you won't get in other stores. I picked up a Lagavulin 16 for £49 and a Cotswold usually £39 for £30.

Only had a tot of the Cotswold, and first impression is it's overrated, I hope it's different next time. Lagavulin is Marmite, I love it.

Latest Threads