Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky - elixir of life

TamH70

MIA

Teeblerone

War Hero
'Rum wood', eh? Sweet?

I confess that after a period of dosing at the cheaper ends of the market, yesterday I returned to the bottles at the back of my collection and poured a Laphroaig, their 10 year old, with a mere hint of fizzy water.

Utterly delicious; instant relaxation and appreciation. Really can't be beat, most of the time.
Excellent point about fizzy water or soda - can really change things for the better! (at the risk of juvenile sniggering from the back, I think the salts bring out something tasty)
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and ordering a bottle of this stuff from our Swedish friends:

Mackmyra Svensk Ek ¦ MACKMYRA – Mackmyra Store

Seems reasonably priced given that shipping is free and guaranteed.
I'm looking at the empty box for that one right now! Enjoyed the contents, hope you do too!

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
The winner of this year's S.W.A. s awards, in it's category, (17 - 20 year old single malt is....
Glad to see my home village, Aberfeldy being on the podium in a couple of categories but not making the first place

Attachments

• 0_tomob18yov2.jpg
    0_tomob18yov2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 11
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and ordering a bottle of this stuff from our Swedish friends:

Mackmyra Svensk Ek ¦ MACKMYRA – Mackmyra Store

Seems reasonably priced given that shipping is free and guaranteed.
When the first lockdown occurred, a wholesaler offered this near me. I live between Southampton and Portsmouth, and this person was more towards Chichester. The whisky is here, and Mackmyra is highly regarded. Go for it!
I didn’t buy it because I am skint. We eat, walk, pay the bills and have a drink now and then. There are lots of whiskies out there, and I’d rather eat beans on toast and have a nice dram than anything else right now.

I've been given a Talisker Skye and a Tamnavulin for birthday this year.
I dont have a developed palette like some on here but the Tamnavulin is tastier.
I put a splash of water in as well as I'm not keen on burning my digestive tract from tongue to stomach.
Is there a standard amount of water i should be using? A mate talked of using a pipette thing but I just put a splash in from the tap.
Also I'm looking for some recommends, nothing outrageous as I'm more of a slurper than a sipper and a bottle can disappear in a few days if I'm not careful.

TamH70

MIA
I dont have a developed palette like some on here but the Tamnavulin is tastier.
I put a splash of water in as well as I'm not keen on burning my digestive tract from tongue to stomach.
Is there a standard amount of water i should be using? A mate talked of using a pipette thing but I just put a splash in from the tap.
Also I'm looking for some recommends, nothing outrageous as I'm more of a slurper than a sipper and a bottle can disappear in a few days if I'm not careful.

I think I said before that I like the Crabbie's Yardhead Whisky - if you are not shy of drinking Single Malts with no age declaration it's really quite nice. I think it's a sort of slightly down-market version of the standard Glenmorangie, for much cheaper - and you can pay as little as sixteen quid a bottle depending on what shop you look at.

As for the Tamnavulin, having never tried it, I can't recommend what you do either way, but personally, I'd put as much water in it as you are comfortable with to start, then work your way down from there for subsequent wee drams.

Drink is as you find it palatable. I like a healthy splash in my whisky, but it’s up to you. It’s all part of the journey.
I find the peaty ones are sippers, and the Speyside are slurpers. That doesn’t make me correct, in any way. Slurp away, and if you want, a bottle disappearing in a day or two is not a bad thing. As long as you enjoy responsibly (wonky face, can’t find it).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

There's also a theory that you should add water of a similar hardness to that used in the manufacturing.

As to the amount, I usually don't add any but appreciate that some whiskies change slightly with a wee drop or two.

Do what's right for your palate (barring adding ice and coke!) - it's for you to enjoy, after all. I quite like a 'long whisky' (plenty of water) from time to time.

If you want something that is going to last, I'd recommend something more peaty/'challenging'. This might make you pace yourself a bit more (I say this as not a fan of peaty whisky).

Either that, or find something that you like that's just pricey enough to make your eyes water a tiny bit when you pull out the bank card to pay. You might then find yourself drinking it rather sedately and really enjoying it whilst also making it last.

If you're looking for a bottle for less than £25, I'd currently recommend Bank Note, Big T from Tomatin or Monkey Shoulder.

You could also try it (and I know this might sound silly) in different shape glasses. Drinking it from a wide, heavy tumbler will produce a different smell and taste than swirling it around in a nosing/tasting glass. Have a play!

Morrison have a five year old Blended malt at £14 it is a blend of Speyside & Highland malts and is very nice. It is called Distillers choice and is part of their best range. It comes with a metal screw cap but get past the snobbynish of not having a cork stopper it is well worth it

@Harry Skinters, I generally drink from a glencairn glass, but will also use a tumbler. Rarely neat, usually a splash of water, but now and again a small ice cube. We are all different and have different palettes and tastes. My sense of smell isn't brilliant being a smoker, and I tend to favour Islay whisky. I think your journey to find "The One", is the fun of it!

It's all a matter of personal taste. I like Laphroig and Lagavullin, but in small doses. I like to think of them as a special after dinner drink (i'm not a big fan of brandy)
It sometimes seems to me that some people think if you can't yamsing a laphroig, you are some kind of whisky lightwieght. I like peated whisky, but the really heavilly peated ones are to be enjoyed in moderation.
I prefer Caol Ila over both, some Laphroaig bottlings have needed an effort and I usually find they benefit from a large ish splash for my tastes.

I'd take the Talisker over Tamnavulin every time, each with a dead wee splash. But I'm not you and it'd be boring a feck if we were all the same. For the water, use whatever you fancy, tap or filtered, load up your drink a few drops and see what you think. Leave it a while, sip,

Add some more water and sip again. Find the point it tastes pish and dial back accordingly on your next glass. Leave it and come back to it in a couple/few days and see if it's still to your taste with that. Or drink it straight if you prefer.

It's all about pleasing your palate, everyone else can look after themself.

I'd take the Talisker over Tamnavulin every time, each with a dead wee splash. But I'm not you and it'd be boring a feck if we were all the same. For the water, use whatever you fancy, tap or filtered, load up your drink a few drops and see what you think. Leave it a while, sip,

Add some more water and sip again. Find the point it tastes pish and dial back accordingly on your next glass. Leave it and come back to it in a couple/few days and see if it's still to your taste with that. Or drink it straight if you prefer.

It's all about pleasing your palate, everyone else can look after themself.

I'm with you there some whiskies I can take neat but I usually take a drop of water to my taste more water in some less in others every one to their own as long as you enjoy the whisky

Teeblerone

War Hero
Excellent suggestions above!
My 2p: Get a nice glass and water. Changed the way I enjoyed whisky, poncey though it may seem.

Talisker was the first whisky that was 'special'. Now it's Caol Ila & Springbank at the top in the normal run of things - there's always another one out there to be discovered! Blends, Whyte & Mackay (an interesting blend..but I forget why, dammit) , Famous Grouse, because there's a time for a big glass.

A Glencairn (tulip) glass is cheap and makes things more interesting (and it'll stop you necking the stuff, least that's how it works for me). There's another one called a Norland, but they're about £30 and you can get a pipette..which is another £30 or something. Or £200 Glencairn glasses are about £6, or a quid from a charity shop.

Mineral, spring or soda water can make a big difference as well. I like the 'salt' in soda. Plan for this xmas is to get a set of 6 glencairn glasses& experiment with different amounts & types of water or not. Strange, but true, some whiskies change after being left in the glass for a while.

Special offers at the moment: Might try the Yardhead again (thought it was cack the first time), Shackleton was OK, Tamnavulin nice. Glen Moray (there are two) is often £20 or less. And that's before you get into the likes of supermarket own brands (wiser people have commented above).

Teeblerone

War Hero
Never used 'em:
Norlan(no d),
£50 for 2, insulated, weird mixing spike

Glencairn

Latest Threads