Whisky - elixir of life

Superstition's one of the marketing hype types mentioned earlier - it's blended mats. Discontinued last year.
Superstition was single malt.

The names have come about to challenge the snobbery of 'age' in whiskey. Talisker do storm and dark storm for example. The cynic in me says that they can then charge 18 year prices for nice tasting 12 yr malt...

I can't remember the distillery, but as anyone who's been round a Scottish one will tell you, there whiskey always had a 'hint of peat' usually attributed to the water used.

I remember trying one whiskey, it was more like drinking a pear bog!

Caol Ila, had a bottle of that a few years ago- really liked it.

I only started the drop of water thing recently, after i calmed the booze right down. A matter of taste for sure.

Have you tried the dark chocolate thing? Clears the palate.
Happen to really like dark chocolate but it's getting too close to the bollocks side for me - the best pairing for any whisky is the company you're in.

Having said that, you might want to try a mole or chili with chocolate and serve with whisky to drink alongside ;-) a strong peaty drop.

Superstition was single malt.

The names have come about to challenge the snobbery of 'age' in whiskey. Talisker do storm and dark storm for example. The cynic in me says that they can then charge 18 year prices for nice tasting 12 yr malt...

I can't remember the distillery, but as anyone who's been round a Scottish one will tell you, there whiskey always had a 'hint of peat' usually attributed to the water used.

I remember trying one whiskey, it was more like drinking a pear bog!
Superstition was a blend of malts, they're single source but blended different ages. It's about marketing, they can get a young -8 yrs to market early and charge the same price. That's exactly what the use of names rather than ages is about. charging more for less.

I said something about 'soul' above. Your action was correct, but your reaction means that you should abide with inland, lowland blends.
Feck me sideways I said a drip into the glass, not for you to become a fecking drip!! With your user name I presume you are/are of Scottish descent? No excuse, unless you're pished, hang your head.
Now lads picture the scene
As I open the door and go outside into the soft Scottish summer rain I look across the glen to the brooding hills and the stags and haggis lift their heads to watch with wonder as
I hold aloft my stemmed tulip shaped nosing glass and offer it up to the
rain gods, as the rain softly beads the inside and outside of the glass I hear the plaintive skirl o the pipes and the shortbread tin I have in my other hand resonates with the raindrops in time to the pipes.
I raise the glass to my lips and savour the taste and the other love of my life comes to the door
and softly says get yersel inside afore ye catch yer death o caul .

As I open the door and go outside into the soft Scottish summer rain I look across the glen to the brooding hills and the stags and haggis lift their heads to watch with wonder as
rain gods, as the rain softly beads the inside and outside of the glass I hear the plaintive skirl o the pipes and the shortbread tin I have in my other hand resonates with the raindrops in time to the pipes.
I raise the glass to my lips and savour the taste and the other love of my life comes to the door
I knew it was a lie as soon as I read that bit. There's feck all saft about the rain in Scotland at any fecking time!

Superstition was a blend of malts, they're single source but blended different ages. It's about marketing, they can get a young -8 yrs to market early and charge the same price. That's exactly what the use of names rather than ages is about. charging more for less.
Fair enough.

I always assumed the term 'single malt' meant not blended. Ie bells or similar.

I frequently call into a Lidl store on my way back from polishing my gunwhales or whatever down at t'marina, and with this stream of consciousness working at my mind, eyed up their offerings:
Clipboard.jpg
One a blended malt, one a single. I've sampled both previously, and are both well up to my standards, so bought one of each as I saw the last of the Bush 10yr last night. £16 each; cheaper than Bush gulpin' whiskey.

(Edit; incidentally, an old friend from long ago when Castlereagh was the Butlins of the Province has bought the boat next to mine on the pontoon, to my surprise. His capacity for this sort of product was always a thing of legends, particularly at Green Hut parties. It's going to be a long, hot summer.)

Last edited:
A fine response, worthy of another nip in itself.

I frequently call into a Lidl store on my way back from polishing my gunwhales or whatever down at t'marina, and with this stream of consciousness working at my mind, eyed up their offerings:
View attachment 398984 One a blended malt, one a single. I've sampled both previously, and are both well up to my standards, so bought one of each as I saw the last of the Bush 10yr last night. £16 each; cheaper than Bush gulpin' whiskey.

(Edit; incidentally, an old friend from long ago when Castlereagh was the Butlins of the Province has bought the boat next to mine on the pontoon, to my surprise. His capacity for this sort of product was always a thing of legends, particularly at Green Hut parties. It's going to be a long, hot summer.)
Not tried the blend, but been very impressed with Abrachan.

dragon825

War Hero
Errrrr no!
I do remember going to Chester races a couple of years ago and whilst walking through the city to the course we stopped at a whiskey and cigar shop. where a buxom young lady was puffing a Cuban as they were allowed to in the shop and the shelves were stacked to the roof with different bottles

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads