Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Whisky - elixir of life

I only stopped drinking Grouse when I realised my local shop (for local people) was punting Bell's out cheaper.

In the interests of nostalgia, I would like to try some Teachers, VAT69, White Horse and Black & White - brands that I've never tried.
As you seem to swig your whisky rather than relish it the following blends are no use to you Te beagh, Isle of Skye Black bottle

I lied I opened it this evening.
I have to say I quite like it, I've said before I can't describe the various tastes/flavours etc having never chewed on aged oak or lumps of peat etc. All I can say is, it's smooth gives that warming feeling as it goes down and is very moreish, it does have a distinctive smell which reminds me of something but I don't know what. After a couple of hefty measures it's obvious that it is 45% ;).
More this evening and I have to say it is very nice, the aroma seems to remind me of chainsaw work on hardwood trees(not the 2stroke fumes).

Since lockdown I've been going through a litre of Bell's a week. Dean Martin measures with a splashette of H2O. Avoided C-19 so far. I think I'm on to something.

Bells 《shudder》. I know not why, but dont like the stuff. Grouse or aldi/lidl's blends no bother. Weird

True dit. A few years back an aunt died and our kid assisted in the house clearance. Amongst her stuff were several bottles of old whiskies that had been quite old (50s and 60s vintage) when her husband (my uncle) handed his kit in during the mid-70s.

After proffing a few for himself, what was left - basically a bottle of Dewars - was deposited under the sink at my mother's gaff - the traditional family drinks cabinet location. A couple or so weeks later I'm visiting the ol' girl and after a few down the local decide to retire with a nightcap.

Obtains vintage Grouse glass from cupboard and charges it up with a decent shot of Dewars. Before slugging, I noticed an odd powdery deposit at the bottom of the glass. I put this down to the booze being old before knocking it back.

Several hours later - after running through fields of lollipops, talking clouds and herds of unicorns, I awake, get my shit together, say bye to mother and off myself to the airport for my return home.

A couple of weeks later I repeat this process and again I notice this odd powdery deposit. I point this out to our kid who was equally bemused, at which point dear old mam interjects with this ******* pearler: 'Have you seen my sleeping tablet? I keep it in a glass in the cupboard.'

I'm beginning to wonder what was in the other bottles?

As you seem to swig your whisky rather than relish it the following blends are no use to you Te beagh, Isle of Skye Black bottle

I was ignorant, so had a little search. I have to say, that considering this is under £30, it doesn't have one bad review. Further (ingesting) research will be forthcoming.

A case of 6 @ £138. That's £23 a bottle! Unfortunately closed due to C19 at the moment.

Son has gifted me a bottle of this:
IMG_0521[17212].jpg

...which was very kind of him, and much appreciated; it has a fine bouquet to it. I shall taste this evening and report.

Sod it; the cap's off. It is indeed very smooth, and quite unlike the usual Jamesons (which I find too sharp and rough around the edges). Recommended.

Aye it was a blend mostly sold in pubs Macarthurs and Mackinleys were two others
Back around the end of the 60s there was a whisky named 'Beltane' on sale in many Scots pubs. It was the cheapest nip you could buy, and there was little doubt why that should be so. I believe it's long gone now. Which is a Good Thing.