Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Whisky - elixir of life

Thanks very much, I'll look at the Deanston. Springbank is superb.

Agreed with what you say about the hit and miss aspect to selling, but I've taken a bit of a punt and tried to put aside limited release/'interesting' whiskies. Predominantly Scotch with a couple of Japanese bottles as well. If I had the capital I'd buy two of everything, one to drink and one to store. The way I look is that some (like Macallan, which I've never really been that much of a fan of anyway) can be sold on, but the worst case scenario is that I get to drink it!
Buying two is a good enough strategy, I do it but it's one to drink now and one for later...

I've only had a couple of bottles which were worth selling on but as posted here, I drank them. That's what it's for. Dumpy Springbank 25s - best whisky I've ever had. I've always had a soft spot for Macallan, first malt I can remember buying and once upon a time, it was widespread enough to ensure a quality drink in a bar.

I've always had a soft spot for Macallan, first malt I can remember buying and once upon a time, it was widespread enough to ensure a quality drink in a bar.
Still is very common in bars and clubs in the NE and is often the go to malt for many locals.
The new distillery and visitors centre are well worth a visit.
20200117_111050 low res.jpg

Just returned from the supermarket with a large bottle of Bells. The prices of wine are fairly startling now, and the lass behind the counter told me that I could only buy four bottles; "in case of hoarding".
I may have to repurpose my beer-brewing gear.

Just returned from the supermarket with a large bottle of Bells. The prices of wine are fairly startling now, and the lass behind the counter told me that I could only buy four bottles; "in case of hoarding".
I may have to repurpose my beer-brewing gear.

I stopped by majestic on the way home from work Wednesday. I phoned home to swmbo to order ahead so I could pick up and pay.
On arrival I learned she had ordered six white, six red, six fizz. Thanks dear!
No concerns about us hoarding from majestic and I am doing my bit to reduce the number of bottles in case we are accused in future.

Since lockdown I've been going through a litre of Bell's a week. Dean Martin measures with a splashette of H2O. Avoided C-19 so far. I think I'm on to something.
Far be it for an old soak like me to lecture about intake quantity, so I won't.

In fact, having discovered this week that I may only touch hard liquor and dry white whine, (no carbohydrates in those), my learned medical opinion in your case has a positive prognosis. Come back for a blood test in a month, when we may move you on to 'Grouse', or even 'Talisker' which is easier to digest and has beneficial effects on your balance.

I only stopped drinking Grouse when I realised my local shop (for local people) was punting Bell's out cheaper.

In the interests of nostalgia, I would like to try some Teachers, VAT69, White Horse and Black & White - brands that I've never tried.