Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Whisky - elixir of life

Looking for your thoughts please. I've just had a "goodwill gesture" of £75 put onto a credit card by the provider due to their mess-up. Recommendations for a good bottle around the £50-£70 range to hide in a cupboard to either sell on later in life or to find it and enjoy it. Many thanks!
Selling on is hit and miss - buy and drink it has always been my motto though I've always had what looks like a collection. Depending on what you like, the Deanston 18 I linked to is good, a bit sweet for my tastes so I'd go for a Springbank 15 - take a look here though: Ledaig 18 Year Old

I got a pop-up that would not go away, but would like to see the goods.
I know this is an industry that relies on the dog seeing the rabbit, but please!
I bet the front of house are on minimum wage. Stop giving this away to ********* in London etc. This is a quality product that speaks for itself.
The Whisky industry is very good at what it does, most of that being selling. Don't have to like it, just know how it is. A lot more competition out there now, never mind Japan, from Ireland and the US as well as upstarts in England, Wales and Sweden. Tin mug will go down well on a RIB on a cold day when you've done the last dive ;-) Prolly not tin mind

Finding myself with only a small drop of cheap Lidl malt this evening, I've expertly blended it with the pretty repulsive bourbon gifted me recently. Hints of Tennessee armpit and notes of Romanian shelf-stacker bedsit, but acceptable withal. It's a reasonable colour and doesn't climb out of the glass for a fight, at any rate.

Finding myself with only a small drop of cheap Lidl malt this evening, I've expertly blended it with the pretty repulsive bourbon gifted me recently. Hints of Tennessee armpit and notes of Romanian shelf-stacker bedsit, but acceptable withal. It's a reasonable colour and doesn't climb out of the glass for a fight, at any rate.

With a wee drop of bottled water for sophistication ;)

Early Father's Day present, never had the Jim Beam stuff before, I will do the decent thing and not open it until Sunday. :p
View attachment 483024
I lied I opened it this evening.
I have to say I quite like it, I've said before I can't describe the various tastes/flavours etc having never chewed on aged oak or lumps of peat etc. All I can say is, it's smooth gives that warming feeling as it goes down and is very moreish, it does have a distinctive smell which reminds me of something but I don't know what. After a couple of hefty measures it's obvious that it is 45% ;).

I lied I opened it this evening.
I have to say I quite like it, I've said before I can't describe the various tastes/flavours etc having never chewed on aged oak or lumps of peat etc. All I can say is, it's smooth gives that warming feeling as it goes down and is very moreish, it does have a distinctive smell which reminds me of something but I don't know what. After a couple of hefty measures it's obvious that it is 45% ;).
If you enjoyed it, then it’s good. That’s how I rate my drinks ..

At the end of a very long week, a colleague and I liberated a bottle of Highland Park 30 YO; absolutely sublime, and meant a late Friday night working finished up as a much later Friday night getting home.

Selling on is hit and miss - buy and drink it has always been my motto though I've always had what looks like a collection. Depending on what you like, the Deanston 18 I linked to is good, a bit sweet for my tastes so I'd go for a Springbank 15 - take a look here though: Ledaig 18 Year Old

Thanks very much, I'll look at the Deanston. Springbank is superb.

Agreed with what you say about the hit and miss aspect to selling, but I've taken a bit of a punt and tried to put aside limited release/'interesting' whiskies. Predominantly Scotch with a couple of Japanese bottles as well. If I had the capital I'd buy two of everything, one to drink and one to store. The way I look is that some (like Macallan, which I've never really been that much of a fan of anyway) can be sold on, but the worst case scenario is that I get to drink it!