Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky - elixir of life

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
An oppo of mind goes mental when I say "Aye a Grouse/Bells/Teachers is fine" if anyone offers. He reckons I should stick to malts, he knows "feck all" about malts as well.

Always worth tasting your grains and blends as you would a single malt.
I remember being over on the West Coast and being told that best sellers were 'low flyer' (Grouse) and Glenmorangie. I've not had - or even seen- GlenM for ages! Similarly Teachers, used to be the Aged Parent's standard.
I rather like Whyte & MacKay.

I remember being over on the West Coast and being told that best sellers were 'low flyer' (Grouse) and Glenmorangie. I've not had - or even seen- GlenM for ages! Similarly Teachers, used to be the Aged Parent's standard.
I rather like Whyte & MacKay.
Back in another world, hauf an a hauf was the way to go in some pubs - the first being a wee low flyer once JW Red was pulled. Still see Glenmorangie all over the shop.

I really want to try the Springbank 15 year old, and I have been looking since March or so. In my part of Ontario (SW) it seems to be unobtainable. Does anyone know if they have distribution issues.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I really want to try the Springbank 15 year old, and I have been looking since March or so. In my part of Ontario (SW) it seems to be unobtainable. Does anyone know if they have distribution issues.

Sometimes. Try Cadenheads
Whisky Shop London | Whisky Tasting London | Cadenhead's Marylebone

TamH70

MIA
Ah I got all exited then but alas no shipping to Canada. Looks like the US is out too. Boo.

Many thanks though.

This lot ships to the USA, you may be able to arrange further consignment from there. Here's their page for that specific whisky.

interesting, ta. Does the taste persist for a bit?
(I could never remember whether liked Tomatin or Tomintoul. Then went to a tasting 'seminar' where they told of Tomintoul being called 'The Gentle Dram'. Me & my mate slagged it off. Tried it at the same place a week later & it was really quite good!Sometimes it's the expectation, I suppose)
I would say that the Royal Lochnagar’s finish is a bit short, but I’m no drinks expert. Nice for a couple, but if you are after an after-dinner heavyweight sipper, try elsewhere.

It sells out PDQ - suspect you'd get stung for delivery/taxes if you bought it outside Canada. You might try pre ordering for next release.

Delivery not cheap either...ouch
1600673497520.png

Here be a selection.

Failing that...you could always have a bash at Longrow or Hazelburn, both excellent products from the same source.

Last edited:

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
This place has a informative website, though it's like a printed catalogue, text heavy. If you buy a few bottles, the postage is reasonable.
Good luck!

Springbank is (getting) expensive, as the graphs show.
I'll dig out the Society website

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
this just received..available in the USA (and presumably Canada, therefore?)
"Cadenhead's Original Collection - Available from this week! "
Interesting Deanston and a Tomatin, Dufftown Glenrothes-Glenlivet (cigar boxes & rock salt, nice).

AND! CAOL ILA 12yr old, soon....price'll be interesting
[edit to add Glenrothes. Used to be decent, went a bit knobby with 'expressions'.]

This lot ships to the USA, you may be able to arrange further consignment from there. Here's their page for that specific whisky.

Many thanks for that it was a bit of a voyage of discovery.

The bottle. 75 quid
Ship to New Jersey. 75 quid
Really struggled to calculate import duty and tax. Let’s say 50 quid
200 uk pounds about $350 Cdn

Then to ship to Canada you can only ship liquor into Ontario to the LCBO, the provincially owned off license. Current cost including LCBO fees and shipping and CBSA (border control fees) is $192. Then there is tax and duty at $80 Cdn.

Total approx (dont bank on me not having cocked it up) $622 Cdn or 364 pounds.

Bit too much for me I think. Thanks though.

It sells out PDQ - suspect you'd get stung for delivery/taxes if you bought it outside Canada. You might try pre ordering for next release.

Delivery not cheap either...ouch
View attachment 506046

Here be a selection.

Failing that...you could always have a bash at Longrow or Hazelburn, both excellent products from the same source.
The LCBO Provincial offy, apparently has it occasionally. I will just keep checking and go fast when or if they get some. I will try some others in the meantime eh.

this just received..available in the USA (and presumably Canada, therefore?)
"Cadenhead's Original Collection - Available from this week! "
Interesting Deanston and a Tomatin, Dufftown Glenrothes-Glenlivet (cigar boxes & rock salt, nice).

AND! CAOL ILA 12yr old, soon....price'll be interesting
[edit to add Glenrothes. Used to be decent, went a bit knobby with 'expressions'.]
Doesn’t seem so. You would think with such along shitty winter and legal weed we would be decent booze importers eh.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Seems Jim has not only upset the Whisky world by rating Indian Whisky as decent.

Sexism in Whisky, racy reviews.

He does get a bit Swiss Toni! Sometimes it's OK, even funny, othertimes, crass and boring.
In 2016 Canadian whiskey was his pick of the year? Fair play for not sticking to the classics

The LCBO Provincial offy, apparently has it occasionally. I will just keep checking and go fast when or if they get some. I will try some others in the meantime eh.
Look for release dates, Whisky Intelligence did publish the society news but don't know if they still do - better keeping an eye on twitter https://twitter.com/Springbank1828 for releases. Or you could always join Springbank Distillery

Latest Threads