Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky - elixir of life

Not to bad.
60D66E15-10A6-461F-AB16-4B8BEC492BE9.jpeg

Tamnavulin. 2nd glass, perhaps the fish & chips have been washed off the tastebuds..better!
I got given a litre bottle of the sherry cask finish, much better than the double cask IMO. Not as cloying, the sherry makes a big difference.

Here's a one; Cutty Sark 'Prohibition', which is 50 things over whatever, and very strong - needs substantial dilution. Reminds me of 'Beltane' from the 60/70s for some reason, probably the sharpness:

But acceptable, withal. No real 'character', as with most overproof spirits without a serious underlying taste, such as peat or sugarcane.

£23.25, which is ok, though. I don't, frankly, recommend it; there are much better, lighter or heavier, sweeter or dryer whiskies for much the same prices, and unless you've been a Cutty Sark fan for all this time, I'd go for a nice Spey.

philc

LE
Indian Whisky awarded third in some blokes book.

Murray releases his Whisky Bible every year, which reveals the bottlings that have secured top marks across categories such as blended Scotch, Japanese and European.

Indian whisky Paul John Mithuna from the Paul John Distillery in Goa secured the third place spot in the Whisky Bible 2021, marking the first time a south Asian whisky has secured one of the coveted positions. Murray enjoyed the whisky’s “sensational chocolate and spices complexity”.

The Paul John Distillery is owned by Bangalore-based John Distilleries, which produces the Paul John single malt and Original Choice whiskies. Buffalo Trace owner Sazerac owns an equity stake in John Distilleries.

For auld lang’s syne etc:
Had some Bell‘s. I add water to the same again.
Not drunk this in a long time. Oaky and grainy. I disliked this years ago, now I like it.

jmb3296

War Hero
Not drunk this in a long time. Oaky and grainy. I disliked this years ago, now I like it.

They changed the recipe for bells a few years ago. Up to that point I found it vile and unpalatable. More recently okay, but I won’t buy it and prefer grouse or black bottle.
As we age our palettes change and mature.

But there are other blends I like, Bells not so much for me.

jmb3296

War Hero
I am a member of a society of like minded friends someof whom know a huge amount about whisky,others like me less so.
at least once a year there is a dinner or event and good fun is had and money raised for charity.
this years dinner has been cancelled but money for charity is still being raised.
this year they have bought a cask of Glenfarclas 10 year old and Glenfarclas bottled it at cask strength and numbered the bottles, which were then made available.
mine arrived yesterday. I will sample it shortly and compare it with the very pleasant commercial 10 year old bottling.
cask Strength in this case is a rather high abv level, see photo.
yummy
View attachment 499244
Further to the above.
i received a phone call from the society organisers and the raffle has been drawn.
the numbered bottles are the raffle tickets and my number has been drawn.
The prize is £1000 to donate to charity.
i will donate equally to Cancer Research UK as a chum is actively fundraising g for them before undergoing a stem cell transplant next month and I lost my father to asbestos related cancer.
and Diabetes UK for personal reasons
sometimes whisky gives that warm fuzzy feeling With no sore head the following day.

Bugger 'cancer'; give it all to Diabetes research. I have no personal interest at all, at all, but feel that it would be the Right Thing to do. Some of those diabetes sufferers have bloody sore feet, you know.

I found a miniature of Royal Lochnagar 12 year old. Many years ago I got a big bottle for Christmas from my MiL. And the same the next year, and the year after. Knowing she went on holiday to Scotland most years, but not for a while, I asked if she had bought a batch. Half a case, apparently. Back to socks when the Scotch ran out. Lord knows how long this little bottle has been knocking around.
It‘s very floral, heathery with some light honey in there. Light body with a surprising alcohol warmth.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I found a miniature of Royal Lochnagar 12 year old. Many years ago I got a big bottle for Christmas from my MiL. And the same the next year, and the year after. Knowing she went on holiday to Scotland most years, but not for a while, I asked if she had bought a batch. Half a case, apparently. Back to socks when the Scotch ran out. Lord knows how long this little bottle has been knocking around.
It‘s very floral, heathery with some light honey in there. Light body with a surprising alcohol warmth.

interesting, ta. Does the taste persist for a bit?
(I could never remember whether liked Tomatin or Tomintoul. Then went to a tasting 'seminar' where they told of Tomintoul being called 'The Gentle Dram'. Me & my mate slagged it off. Tried it at the same place a week later & it was really quite good!Sometimes it's the expectation, I suppose)

interesting, ta. Does the taste persist for a bit?
(I could never remember whether liked Tomatin or Tomintoul. Then went to a tasting 'seminar' where they told of Tomintoul being called 'The Gentle Dram'. Me & my mate slagged it off. Tried it at the same place a week later & it was really quite good!Sometimes it's the expectation, I suppose)

I’ve always found Tomintoul a bit underwhelming. A bit too gentle!

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I’ve always found Tomintoul a bit underwhelming. A bit too gentle!

Indeed & absolutely! That's why the re-taste was such a surprise - it does have a taste, but you've got to go looking for it, as it were.
It'd be nice to be able to afford a bottle to drink while reading by a fire.
And to have a proper fire in a fireplace.
Meanwhile, a mate informs me of 12yr old Edradour, independant bottling fair enough....but £90!

That Paul John whiskey is not bad at all. Remember it as 'pleasant' rather than 'wow' (only had a sample, can't remember any more).
Would probably buy it duty-free.
I have to admit my bias but the 'pleasant' is about the most I can muster for non Scots whisky or whiskey. English whisky is nice enough but the price point isn't VFM and not had much of the new Irish stuff.

An oppo of mind goes mental when I say "Aye a Grouse/Bells/Teachers is fine" if anyone offers. He reckons I should stick to malts, he knows "feck all" about malts as well.

Always worth tasting your grains and blends as you would a single malt.

Indeed & absolutely! That's why the re-taste was such a surprise - it does have a taste, but you've got to go looking for it, as it were.
It'd be nice to be able to afford a bottle to drink while reading by a fire.
And to have a proper fire in a fireplace.
Meanwhile, a mate informs me of 12yr old Edradour, independant bottling fair enough....but £90!
That's the price the market is willing to bear sadly.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I have to admit my bias but the 'pleasant' is about the most I can muster for non Scots whisky or whiskey. English whisky is nice enough but the price point isn't VFM and not had much of the new Irish stuff.
Yes to that! Macmyra Swedish whiskey is nice, but £38+. I'd not be exactly unhappy buying it, but...
Anyway, my main reason for replying is do NOT buy The Pogues single malt Irish whiskey without trying first or unless you like cardboard and Toilet Duck. I've had some decent single-grain whiskies, but that stuff isn't even drownable in cola.

Latest Threads