Whisky - elixir of life

I might have mentioned this before, but here goes anyway:
French whisky? Well the stuff I bought, Amorik, was distilled in Bretagne, so definitely not French. Calling the Bretons French is akin to calling a Jock English. People have died for a lot less. Any way it's nice stuff. Must get back to Bretagne sometime.
Another link.
Forgot to add that my last drop of Amorik was consumed as a toast to Emsav on hearing of her untimely departure from this world.

Last edited:
Did you never encounter Ratzeputz, commonly known as Ratspiss? Evil stuff.
When Charlie was but a young pup, never been abroad and still pre signing up, he visited his older brother in Celle. Having consumed too much quality bier, he left his brother with his mates in a bar and ambled off in search of his hotel.

Looking for directions, he happend across half a dozen helpful Scots lads who said they could assist him, once they had popped into a bar for refreshments!

After about 3 Ratzpiss, set on fire and with a coffee bean in the bottom (?) as I recall, I left them to it and wandered off into the night!

When Charlie was but a young pup, never been abroad and still pre signing up, he visited his older brother in Celle. Having consumed too much quality bier, he left his brother with his mates in a bar and ambled off in search of his hotel.

Looking for directions, he happend across half a dozen helpful Scots lads who said they could assist him, once they had popped into a bar for refreshments!

After about 3 Ratzpiss, set on fire and with a coffee bean in the bottom (?) as I recall, I left them to it and wandered off into the night!
After my first encounter with Ratspiss on detachment to some Luftwaffe base near the IGB I woke up the next day wishing that I hadn't.

Pater's favourite tipple is Lagavulin 16, which to my palate is "interesting" rather than particularly enjoyable.
At some London periphery airport a couple of years ago the first thing I encountered after getting through security was a young lady at a counter handing out shots of Lagavulin 9 (launched in connection with some stupid TV series, about thrones?).
Well, the Lagavulin 9 tasted like nectar.
Bloody stuff’s more expensive than the standard 16-year-old. How do they work that out?

Bloody stuff’s more expensive than the standard 16-year-old. How do they work that out?
I was very enthusiastic after that tasting and made a point of looking for it next time I came through the duty free.
There were at least three there - Lagavulin 8, 9 and 16 - out of my price range at the time and confusing too.

I was very enthusiastic after that tasting and made a point of looking for it next time I came through the duty free.
There were at least three there - Lagavulin 8, 9 and 16 - out of my price range at the time and confusing too.
You could’ve bloody told me- your post’s just prompted me to trawl the entire internet;-).

This Tamnavulin's nice. I looked up the bullshit 'tasting notes' on it ("adored for its sweet chocolate, caramel, apple and lingering sweet flavor notes"); other opinion alternates between 'very smooth' and 'not smooth', which is only evidence that two peoples' tongues differ in tasting capability. Prats. I like it because it's light - and smooth, and tastes of whisky. It creeps up on you, and makes you appreciate it, like a good whisky should do, unless it's from the Isles, when it should slap you full in the gub. (Apple? Well, bugger me).

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
The stuff was a Big Thing in both Cyprus and Germany when I laboured for my shilling. With Coke, which in my opinion made it far worse. Luckily, there were in Germany far more more many delicious ways of falling over, such as Jagermeister and Apfelkorn. (And Schultheiss, Kindl and Herfy, of course). Cypriot village wine with lemonade was the grunt's choice in Cyprus, if you couldn't find a bottle of Keo or Carlsberg untainted by UV radiation. But Asbach...? No.
The bar outside RAF Akortiri sold that wine, came in any bottle made from glass. The 7up was free if I recall correctly.

Duty Free makes organised crime look respectable. Other sources may be cheaper, especially in the run up to Christmas.

Duty Free makes organised crime look respectable. Other sources may be cheaper, especially in the run up to Christmas.
Don't get me started on duty free. One of the Ben Gurion airport duty free's most overt crimes is to only have special offers that involve buying more than one bottle, which is liable to get people into trouble at customs.

Don't get me started on duty free. One of the Ben Gurion airport duty free's most overt crimes is to only have special offers that involve buying more than one bottle, which is liable to get people into trouble at customs.
The bottles are then bought back from customs at a third of the price and put back on sale. Everyone's a winner.

The bottles are then bought back from customs at a third of the price and put back on sale. Everyone's a winner.
Oy gevalt...

One of the Ben Gurion airport duty free's most overt crimes is to only have special offers that involve buying more than one bottle, which is liable to get people into trouble at customs.
It's not a crime, it's called imaginative business practice. Nobody is obliged to buy from them.
Back into serious mode.

Latest Threads