Whisky - elixir of life

As is The New Normal nowadays, I forget what I did the day before, and press buttons insensately when 'shopping' online. As a result, while trying to deal with the problem of an alcoholic cousin (she's had a couple of very bad marriages and all sorts of other issues) I was in the middle of a conference call with other cousins, giving sage advice, when the Amazon deliveries arrived. Opening the packages containing four unexpected bottles of scotch while on air may have been undiplomatic, but she's on vodka or something, so it doesn't count as a faux pas.

They're good bottles, though; the only one I've opened so far has been 'Monkey Shoulder', which isn't hugely outstanding, but I know that I also have one of Speyside's finest (Tamnavulin), and a Bush 10yr Malt, which shall go down to the boat's 'goodies' locker. The other is 'Naked Grouse', which I liked the last time, and is cheap; a major consideration. I like Amazon; very little effort and no driving involved.

As is The New Normal nowadays, I forget what I did the day before, and press buttons insensately when 'shopping' online. As a result, while trying to deal with the problem of an alcoholic cousin (she's had a couple of very bad marriages and all sorts of other issues) I was in the middle of a conference call with other cousins, giving sage advice, when the Amazon deliveries arrived. Opening the packages containing four unexpected bottles of scotch while on air may have been undiplomatic, but she's on vodka or something, so it doesn't count as a faux pas.

They're good bottles, though; the only one I've opened so far has been 'Monkey Shoulder', which isn't hugely outstanding, but I know that I also have one of Speyside's finest (Tamnavulin), and a Bush 10yr Malt, which shall go down to the boat's 'goodies' locker. The other is 'Naked Grouse', which I liked the last time, and is cheap; a major consideration. I like Amazon; very little effort and no driving involved.
Vodka gives me the creeps, it must be some sort of PTSD or other weird phobia, at her worst my other half was doing a bottle a day, other types of booze don't bother me just the vodka and also very weirdly that glug-glug sound from pouring into a glass sets my teeth on edge.

It's not my first choice for an evening's sip, I must admit, but it was a gift and so is acceptable. The other night, angry about my bottle of Bell's running dry at only 0100hrs, I ordered some replacements from Amazon; Laphroaig 'select' (£23), Shackleton Blended Malt (£20):
View attachment 486148

and Chivas Regal 12 Year Old Blended (£20), all in 70cl bottles. Pretty good value, there. Next week I shall bravely explore further.
ASDA do the Shackleton for 20 quid now and again.

@Whiskybreath and others, I always put some water in my whisky. I did get a bit pretentious and buy bottled water for a while. Nonsense.
My dad likes ginger ale in his, as does my MiL’s partner. Grand.
A splash of water from the tap is nice.
I have recently been to the continent to buy beer and wine. A supermarket in France had a “promo” on Whisky, but funds were depleted. I could only get a Dufftown Singleton and a Black Bush on my meagre funds, both of which I look forward to sampling.
Cheers!
Black Bush is very nice and very smooth.

The prices of whisky seem to be roller-coastering; that Shackleton blend was £20 when I bought it; £33 now at Sainsburys and Amazon, while Bells is at £13 for 70cl at Tesco. All very confusing.

The prices of whisky seem to be roller-coastering; that Shackleton blend was £20 when I bought it; £33 now at Sainsburys and Amazon, while Bells is at £13 for 70cl at Tesco. All very confusing.
I thought the decent ones were just reduced for Fathers Day? Maybe there is a whisky battle between the supermarkets!

Here in south Hampshire the Coop are consistent (Easter, Father‘s Day and Christmas), and some pretty good deals can be found. Sainsbury’s and Asda have frequent reductions that seem to follow no real pattern. Tesco are about a week behind.
Bearing in mind whisky in Britain is made with a view to the future, and therefore impossible to produce to a sudden demand, the supermarket pricing system is unfathomable.

Tell me about it- I got a taste for Lagavulin after buying a shedload of the stuff at £13 a litre!
These days I like Chivas (and Naked Grouse) and don’t give a shit what the snobs say. Most of them have probably got a similar palate to mine- I failed to distinguish between brandy and scotch when I couldn’t remember which hip flask was filled with which :).
I also like Asbach.

Black Bush is very nice and very smooth.
Tripple distilled and very tasty. I am a big fan of Bushmills especially the 10 YO Malt.
I remember visiting the Distillery on a few occasions in my time in NI. On one ocassion we were offered the chance to buy a hoggshead of single malt which would be ready for bottling just before the millenium.....

...If only I had had the money!

The stuff was a Big Thing in both Cyprus and Germany when I laboured for my shilling. With Coke, which in my opinion made it far worse. Luckily, there were in Germany far more more many delicious ways of falling over, such as Jagermeister and Apfelkorn. (And Schultheiss, Kindl and Herfy, of course). Cypriot village wine with lemonade was the grunt's choice in Cyprus, if you couldn't find a bottle of Keo or Carlsberg untainted by UV radiation. But Asbach...? No.

The stuff was a Big Thing in both Cyprus and Germany when I laboured for my shilling. With Coke, which in my opinion made it far worse. Luckily, there were in Germany far more more many delicious ways of falling over, such as Jagermeister and Apfelkorn. (And Schultheiss, Kindl and Herfy, of course). Cypriot village wine with lemonade was the grunt's choice in Cyprus, if you couldn't find a bottle of Keo or Carlsberg untainted by UV radiation. But Asbach...? No.
Brandy sours were our/my downfall in Cyprus.

Vodka gives me the creeps, it must be some sort of PTSD or other weird phobia, at her worst my other half was doing a bottle a day, other types of booze don't bother me just the vodka and also very weirdly that glug-glug sound from pouring into a glass sets my teeth on edge.
I also have an intense dislike of vodka. My younger sister destroyed her life drinking vodka, and a very good friend of mine went from a secure job with a company car to homeless through vodka.
Not for me

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:
Did you never encounter Ratzeputz, commonly known as Ratspiss? Evil stuff.

Tell me about it- I got a taste for Lagavulin after buying a shedload of the stuff at £13 a litre!
These days I like Chivas (and Naked Grouse) and don’t give a shit what the snobs say. Most of them have probably got a similar palate to mine- I failed to distinguish between brandy and scotch when I couldn’t remember which hip flask was filled with which :).
I also like Asbach.
Pater's favourite tipple is Lagavulin 16, which to my palate is "interesting" rather than particularly enjoyable.
At some London periphery airport a couple of years ago the first thing I encountered after getting through security was a young lady at a counter handing out shots of Lagavulin 9 (launched in connection with some stupid TV series, about thrones?).
Well, the Lagavulin 9 tasted like nectar.

Last edited:
I’ll give you Apfelkorn... but Jagermeister? The stuff tastes like earwax :).
Jagermeister was the drink of choice for fines!
Brandy sours were our/my downfall in Cyprus.
One of my first visits to Cyprus many years ago, I was getting the round in and ordered some brandy sours. The barmaid asked me after I had ordered "how many?" Thinking she hadn't heard me I shouted 5, holding up the obligatory number of fingers. All was well until we went to drink them. Apparently she was asking how many shots of brandy I wanted in each drink,not the number of drinks ordered. I thought they were a tad expensive?!
We drank them anyway.

Latest Threads