Whisky - elixir of life

I liked it and was impressed by just how good it is (hitherto my line of thinking had been: whisky from....Israel?? what kind of gimmick is that) so I immediately bought a bottle. However, I may be somewhat biased.....
rabbi.jpg

I hope there were a few lines from Rabbi Burns on the bottle? ;)

View attachment 486965
I hope there were a few lines from Rabbi Burns on the bottle? ;)
The founders - 5 friends from the Hi-tech sector, employed the late Dr. Jim Swan of Scotland to help them establish their enterprise. They based the standard they would work to on the Scottish standard for whisky, as in Israel there is no standard for whisky at all. As far as Rabbi Burns goes - I'm afraid none of them are of a religious persuasion.

Last edited:

philc

LE
The founders - 5 friends from the Hi-tech sector, employed the late Dr. Jim Swann of Scotland to help them establish their enterprise. They based the standar they would work to on the Scottish standard for whisky, as in israel there is no standard at all. As far as Rabbi Burns goes - I'm afraid none of them are of a religious persuasion.

Put in Kosher Whisky and this comes up.

Seems its a mine field of disagreement.

I went on a tour of the Whitewater Brewery at Castlewellan, Co Down last Christmas (another pressie from a family member) and it was disclosed that when they relocated to Castlewellan from some farmhouse in the Mournes, they searched far and wide for the best tanks (brewing containers) they could find. China? No. Israel. On being challenged on the contents of their crates by some official on the way out of the country, they said "Tanks" and winked. No problem, Sir.
Interesting you should mention that. The guide at M&H explained that although their stills are of German manufacture, they inquired of MGT - an Israeli company that manufactures brewing containers for the beer industry, whether they could make containers for their whisky manufacturer requirements- she said they did and that the containers are proving very good indeed.
Up to that moment I had no idea Israel manufactures brewing containers at all let alone world-renowned ones...

Last edited:
Put in Kosher Whisky and this comes up.

Seems its a mine field of disagreement.
Brother @scarbrough hath taught unto us all that where there is religion, there is disagreement.

Last edited:
The founders - 5 friends from the Hi-tech sector, employed the late Dr. Jim Swann of Scotland to help them establish their enterprise. They based the standard they would work to on the Scottish standard for whisky, as in Israel there is no standard for whisky at all. As far as Rabbi Burns goes - I'm afraid none of them are of a religious persuasion.
Jim Swan's a legend, was a legend whilst alive and was the advisor behind many Scots and other distillery projects. Take a look at the English enterprises and his name pops up time after time.

110 of your foreign European Union groats is a price I won't pay for that. Why should I, when I have a bottle next to me from the reputable Laphroaig Distillery at £23 fine British Pounds Sterling?
My thoughts exactly. The equivilent of £154 for a 70cl bottle of 8YO!

It is either glorious, or they are having it away?

110 of your foreign European Union groats is a price I won't pay for that. Why should I, when I have a bottle next to me from the reputable Laphroaig Distillery at £23 fine British Pounds Sterling?
Should have reacted a bit earlier, but I just realised that I have bottle of Laphroaig Select in my cupboard, unfortunately there is now far more air in the bottle than whisky. Here's hoping that Lidl get more of that in PDQ.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm really enjoying the Malts I've bought recently and the slower method of drinking to get the full flavour experience from each individual one; most water I've used being 2 teaspoons.

I popped into Morrisons to see if the Sherry cask Glenmorangie had been knocked down from the £50, but alas no. Decided to pop into the Whisky shop to have a browse and bought another bottle of Arran, the 12 year old Sherry cask: unchilled filtered and natural colour @46%

I'll report back on its tasting later

20200704_160855_copy_1305x1740.jpg

20200704_160956_copy_1305x979.jpg

Today I have received a gift of another bottle of Whisky from a villager for what was described as an act of kindness ... uncalled for gift really but it would be impolite to refuse ... Monkey Shoulder ... had a couple of glasses tonight and it is smooth and palatable ... and for free .

I'm really enjoying the Malts I've bought recently and the slower method of drinking to get the full flavour experience from each individual one; most water I've used being 2 teaspoons.

I popped into Morrisons to see if the Sherry cask Glenmorangie had been knocked down from the £50, but alas no. Decided to pop into the Whisky shop to have a browse and bought another bottle of Arran, the 12 year old Sherry cask: unchilled filtered and natural colour @46%

I'll report back on its tasting later

View attachment 487102

View attachment 487103
How much was the Arran?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Today I have received a gift of another bottle of Whisky from a villager for what was described as an act of kindness ... uncalled for gift really but it would be impolite to refuse ... Monkey Shoulder ... had a couple of glasses tonight and it is smooth and palatable ... and for free .
Nothing tastes better. Come on, out with it; what did you do?
(The last bottle I gave was to the twat of a Channel Islander who helped put my boat into the water a few years ago. Managed to snap my windspeed sensor off in the process, but showed willing. And he got cheap vodka, corresponding to his vile tastes.)

My local Tesco has Penderyn Sherrywood down to £30 fro £42. 46% and one of those rare whiskies that I like equally straight (herbal, ripe and rich) or with a dash of water (frees up sweetness and a hint of citrus). It even goes with a lump of ice. As our host at the Penderyn Whisky Experience said “The only way to enjoy whisky is how YOU like it”. I have had just enough tonight to generate a nice buzz Chin Chin

Isn't there a Moderator around? Why are these wittering drunks allowed to blether on Important threads such as this? I feel I may have to complain.

(THise three sentences took me about a minute each to write, including deletions, insertions and corrections. It's the homebrew, m'lud.) Five minutes, now.

Nothing tastes better. Come on, out with it; what did you do?
(The last bottle I gave was to the twat of a Channel Islander who helped put my boat into the water a few years ago. Managed to snap my windspeed sensor off in the process, but showed willing. And he got cheap vodka, corresponding to his vile tastes.)
It was to do with “ Home Isolation “ … I live in a village in which probably more than 75% of us are retired … I was able with the help of my son to arrange some ongoing additional support to one of my more senior widowed neighbours of our community who hails from North of the Border .

The founders - 5 friends from the Hi-tech sector, employed the late Dr. Jim Swan of Scotland to help them establish their enterprise. They based the standard they would work to on the Scottish standard for whisky, as in Israel there is no standard for whisky at all. As far as Rabbi Burns goes - I'm afraid none of them are of a religious persuasion.
If Dr Swan has been involved, then that’s investment. I will look out for these in future.

Latest Threads