Whisky - elixir of life

Not sold on the basis of that review. What did loofkar think of it?
"A young single malt spirit which isn't quite old enough to be called whisky yet from Milk & Honey Distillery in Tel Aviv. This spirit has been matured in three types of casks: ex-red wine, bourbon and casks that were previously used to hold a smoky Islay whisky, all leading towards a tasty and complex flavour profile."
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why can't they give it a few years to file off the rough edges?
Yeah, costs, and a lowered expectation of the home market. I note the same ethic in their other brews. It may be good, but it won't compete internationally with the real thing.

"A young single malt spirit which isn't quite old enough to be called whisky yet from Milk & Honey Distillery in Tel Aviv. This spirit has been matured in three types of casks: ex-red wine, bourbon and casks that were previously used to hold a smoky Islay whisky, all leading towards a tasty and complex flavour profile."
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why can't they give it a few years to file off the rough edges?
Yeah, costs, and a lowered expectation of the home market. I note the same ethic in their other brews. It may be good, but it won't compete internationally with the real thing.
as I pointed out to jmb, The one in that review is not "Classic", it's a younger product from a few years ago.

Clipboard01.jpg

That's the same face I used to see on South Africans as they opened the bottle of foul 'brandy' to offer around and make the whole gathering violently ill. Bastards,

I may try the 'Milk and Honey' @loofkar, but it'll have to be a grey, windy and rainy day, with no Laphroiag in my special filing cabinet.

I was always under the impresssion that if ever I want to visit a whisky distillery, I would probably have to go to Scotland or the American South. Surprised I was then to discover a distillery working the Scotch standard just 15 minutes walk from home in Tel Aviv!
Yesterday I joined a technical tour of the facility.
A bonny Israeli lass drawing me a taster from yon cask.
View attachment 486702
The product closest to the nectar I tasted from the cask is their "M&H Classic", for a bottle of which I paid the equivalent of 46 quid, but hey - it's a boutique distillery....

The first tasting was from a cask, 65% alcohol so water added into the glass and honestly it tasted divine. I really should have left it at that but I gilded the lily and tasted the other five - all within 45 minutes - 1 cask whisky of around 65% alcohol, 1 of 46%, 2 gins of over 40% alcohol and 1 herbal liqueur.
View attachment 486706

View attachment 486707
Point of order…..or two
her personal weapon is a bottle of scotch?
Isn't Tullamore Dew the de facto whisky for israel.

Point of order…..or two
her personal weapon is a bottle of scotch?
Isn't Tullamore Dew the de facto whisky for israel.
Funny you should say that - she was friendly and knowledgable but didn't half speak at a rate of knots - in classic IDF female instructor style. That, her protective face shield and the sounds of whisky being manufactured all around us (not to mention my IDF service's legacy on my hearing) combined to make it somewhat difficult to hear everything she said. I actually asked her afterwards if she also gives the tours in English and if so, does she speak at the same rate.

Shouldn't that be Tullamore D.E.W.?
Chivas Regal and Jonnie Walker were the whiskies that I always heard Israelis talking about - decades before I ever started taking an interest in whisky myself. That certainly isn't the case nowadays, as this online liquor store's whisky section indicates:

... and on a lighter note I really enjoy the episode of " Still Game " when Jack and Victor win a visit to a Distillery , enjoy themselves and behave impeccably ...

I'll just get ma coat .

Why is that?
Well generally its cheap blended stuff that is produced and sold in tens of thousands of gallons. Bells teachers johnnie walker for example.
Look for the bottle in the corner of the bar sitting the right way up.

Funny you should say that - she was friendly and knowledgable but didn't half speak at a rate of knots - in classic IDF female instructor style. That, her protective face shield and the sounds of whisky being manufactured all around us (not to mention my IDF service's legacy on my hearing) combined to make it somewhat difficult to hear everything she said. I actually asked her afterwards if she also gives the tours in English and if so, does she speak at the same rate.

Shouldn't that be Tullamore D.E.W.?
Chivas Regal and Jonnie Walker were the whiskies that I always heard Israelis talking about - decades before I ever started taking an interest in whisky myself. That certainly isn't the case nowadays, as this online liquor store's whisky section indicates:
The prices in that link are a bit steep.

Even the duty free at Ben Gurion airport is not much better.
Duty free shops, making organised crime look respectable the world over.

Not just whisky, but mid 80s I did a quick detachment back to UK and on the return flight we were handed a duty free price list with 2 different prices. One for Joe public and a much lower one for service personnel and MoD staff. The lower one equated to Naafia* prices and they are high enough.

* What's the difference between the Naafia and organised crime? Organised crime is organised, the Naafia isn't.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Duty free shops, making organised crime look respectable the world over.
Funnily enough, in a lot of cases, those shops fall under the "protection" of the various crime families, such as La Cosa Nostra, Union Corse, Russian Mafiya, the Triads and the Yakuza. Things are profitable, y'all.

While talking of whisky from unusual places, I was surprised to discover that there is a small distillery on the island of Rügen, I tried to find it last time I was there but it's out in the wild off the beaten track. Perhaps it's just as well that they do most of their trade online. Guckst du:

While talking of whisky from unusual places, I was surprised to discover that there is a small distillery on the island of Rügen, I tried to find it last time I was there but it's out in the wild off the beaten track. Perhaps it's just as well that they do most of their trade online. Guckst du:
110 of your foreign European Union groats is a price I won't pay for that. Why should I, when I have a bottle next to me from the reputable Laphroaig Distillery at £23 fine British Pounds Sterling?

TamH70

MIA
110 of your foreign European Union groats is a price I won't pay for that. Why should I, when I have a bottle next to me from the reputable Laphroaig Distillery at £23 fine British Pounds Sterling?
Why indeed? There's no shortage of German customers willing to pay such sums. However these German whiskies are something of a speciality market, you never see them in the supermarkets. I buy Scottish whiskies, none of the imitations and am willing to pay € 30.00 or maybe a bit more. Booze in general is cheaper here than almost anywhere else in western Europe.