Whisky - elixir of life

I had a wee play around tonight with three bottles of malts that I had nearly finished. Married a Loch Lomond with Morrisons Distillers choice and Allt -a -Bhainne and the result was very palatable
ralfy a big advocate of DIY blending - his latest vid is about NAS and explained to me why I prefer younger Islay malts - 18 down but older Campbletown and Speyside. Also got a Longrow in as one of his choices.

None at all! Unless, of course, the lower quarter of the nation's IQ bell-curve continue to spread their diseases incontinently, in which case I might have to start selling nips at the bottom of my driveway.
Join the guys in the corner at the ceilidh passing around a bottle of the real stuff...and wonder why you don't get up until 15:00 the next day. Allegedly.

You need to look at our glorious leadership in respect of contagion, maybe a move to Durham would help?

Join the guys in the corner at the ceilidh passing around a bottle of the real stuff...and wonder why you don't get up until 15:00 the next day. Allegedly.

You need to look at our glorious leadership in respect of contagion, maybe a move to Durham would help?
Oy! None of yer politics here! This is a serious thread about serious liquid foodstuffs. I suspect the people you're railing against get their jollies from vodka, in any case. With Sunny Delight or sugary juices for flavour.

Oy! None of yer politics here! This is a serious thread about serious liquid foodstuffs. I suspect the people you're railing against get their jollies from vodka, in any case. With Sunny Delight or sugary juices for flavour.
Vodka is just potato whisky that hasn't lived in a an old wine barrel for 5 years and I was pointing out that the masses were only following the example of their leaders. Sunny Delight? What is this?

Vodka is just potato whisky that hasn't lived in a an old wine barrel for 5 years and I was pointing out that the masses were only following the example of their leaders. Sunny Delight? What is this?
It's good when the other party goes on the defensive, especially when they profess that they've never slurped a bottle of Sunny D on a park bench with the guy who does parakeet impressions. Got you tabbed, pal. I'll see you in the park; you're claimed.

It's good when the other party goes on the defensive, especially when they profess that they've never slurped a bottle of Sunny D on a park bench with the guy who does parakeet impressions. Got you tabbed, pal. I'll see you in the park; you're claimed.
Spare a fiver furra cup o' tea?

I too have a bottle of that Shackleton Blended Malt as a present from my daughter last month for being a nice Dad ... well so she said ... still unopened ... is yours ? and if not can I look forward to a treat .
The mostly full Chivas wotsit bottle is inexplicably up on the bookshelf next to Chris Stringer's Homo Britannicus - an excellent treatise on an age past, incidentally - and the Shackleton is open and ready to give battle. The first nose and sip fill the sensorium; a lot of heavy, real whisky there. Second sip is rough and possibly ragged, but the tongue is quickly numbed and conquered; there's little subtlety here. The third inspires; there are seas to sail, frontiers to obliterate and Britain to honour. It's a winner. Your daughter, bless her, is also a Winner. You must tell her that this is the way to her daddy's heart.

Please excuse the ripe rhetoricals; it's a good 'un, but beware the punch.

The mostly full Chivas wotsit bottle is inexplicably up on the bookshelf next to Chris Stringer's Homo Britannicus - an excellent treatise on an age past, incidentally - and the Shackleton is open and ready to give battle. The first nose and sip fill the sensorium; a lot of heavy, real whisky there. Second sip is rough and possibly ragged, but the tongue is quickly numbed and conquered; there's little subtlety here. The third inspires; there are seas to sail, frontiers to obliterate and Britain to honour. It's a winner. Your daughter, bless her, is also a Winner. You must tell her that this is the way to her daddy's heart.

Please excuse the ripe rhetoricals; it's a good 'un, but beware the punch.
Excellent appraisal of the Shackleton .... I look forward to my first tasting .... I still have some of this left .... but only for high days and holidays ...

Shackleton Whisky.JPG

... and all daughters know the way to their daddy's heart ... whatever their age ... head to one side and a slight increase in pitch of the voice " Daaaaaad ..... " and you know it will be expensive ... and you cannot refuse if they are in difficulties ... I shall pass on your comments .

I was always under the impresssion that if ever I want to visit a whisky distillery, I would probably have to go to Scotland or the American South. Surprised I was then to discover a distillery working the Scotch standard just 15 minutes walk from home in Tel Aviv!
Yesterday I joined a technical tour of the facility.
A bonny Israeli lass drawing me a taster from yon cask.
20200701_203203.jpg

The product closest to the nectar I tasted from the cask is their "M&H Classic", for a bottle of which I paid the equivalent of 46 quid, but hey - it's a boutique distillery....

The first tasting was from a cask, 65% alcohol so water added into the glass and honestly it tasted divine. I really should have left it at that but I gilded the lily and tasted the other five - all within 45 minutes - 1 cask whisky of around 65% alcohol, 1 of 46%, 2 gins of over 40% alcohol and 1 herbal liqueur.
20200701_205605.jpg

20200701_192952.jpg

View attachment 486704
Oy gewalt!

(In an Isles accent, of course.)
That was a family present for me for another important birthday some years ago .... my son knew I held Shackleton in high esteem ... indeed I have many books concerning his Antarctic expeditions ... he knew someone associated with the Distillery and had some prior warning of this particular Whisky being marketed ... nett result I got a bottle and a book , not in the photograph , about the history associated with its recreation .

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I was always under the impresssion that if ever I want to visit a whisky distillery, I would probably have to go to Scotland or the American South. Surprised I was then to discover a distillery working the Scotch standard just 15 minutes walk from home in Tel Aviv!
View attachment 486702
The product closest to the nectar I tasted from the cask is their "M&H Classic", for a bottle of which I paid the equivalent of 46 quid, but hey - it's a boutique distillery....

The first tasting was from a cask, 65% alcohol so water added into the glass and honestly it tasted divine. I really should have left it at that but I gilded the lily and tasted the other five - all within 45 minutes - 1 cask whisky of around 65% alcohol, 1 of 46%, 2 gins of over 40% alcohol and 1 herbal liqueur.
View attachment 486706

View attachment 486707
I am obliged and better informed, thank you

Could you review the whisky and your impression of it. Is it worth me seeking out a bottle for my cupboard.

Ta

Could you review the whisky and your impression of it. Is it worth me seeking out a bottle for my cupboard.

Ta
Wot he said. My BiL is in Israel a lot for work, it would be great to know if it is worth getting a bottle or two brought back!

Wot he said. My BiL is in Israel a lot for work, it would be great to know if it is worth getting a bottle or two brought back!
OK so the first info I should give you is that the distillery sells a 70cl bottle of Classic for 199 Shekels but in the big liquor shop by the clock tower in Jaffa (same neighbourhood) it costs 219 for a bottle.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
OK so the first info I should give you is that the distillery sells a 70cl bottle of Classic for 199 Shekels but in the big liquor shop by the clock tower in Jaffa (same neighbourhood) it costs 219 for a bottle.
£45 ish here but could be worth it,

View attachment 486702

View attachment 486706

View attachment 486707
I went on a tour of the Whitewater Brewery at Castlewellan, Co Down last Christmas (another pressie from a family member) and it was disclosed that when they relocated to Castlewellan from some farmhouse in the Mournes, they searched far and wide for the best tanks (brewing containers) they could find. China? No. Israel. On being challenged on the contents of their crates by some official on the way out of the country, they said "Tanks" and winked. No problem, Sir.

Ta
I asked the guide which product is closest to the lovely nectar I tasted from the first cask and she said "Classic". After we repaired from the barrel room to the tasting room, she gave us Classic to taste and my impression of it is that it is very agreeable indeed. I did buy a bottle at the end of the tour. Obviously, I may be somewhat biased though.
I looked at the traits of the stuff in that cask that I loved and they pretty much match the traits specified for "Classic" - here's a photo of the sign on the caskand I'll translate the main gen:
Double distilled, American oak cask previously used for Israeli red wine, treated by shaving, toasting and level 2 re-charring.
20200701_202833.jpg

"Classic"
Our Classic single malt whisky is made using the finest ex-bourbon casks and our special red-wine STR casks, giving it a light and balanced character.
46% alc. 700ml

Last edited:

Not sold on the basis of that review. What did loofkar think of it?
I liked it and was impressed by just how good it is (hitherto my line of thinking had been: whisky from....Israel?? what kind of gimmick is that) so I immediately bought a bottle. However, I may be somewhat biased.....

Latest Threads