Whisky - elixir of life

TamH70

MIA
Not Whisky but sort of related.
Fathers Day present, hell of a thing, without the liquid it weighs just short of a Kilo.
View attachment 484761
I'm sure there is at least one malt whisky, or whiskey, that's matured in stout casks.

True>
Many moons ago(too many to think about)whilst on(as the army called it)adventure training in Scotland we visited one of the larger distilleries which included a brief look in the yard where the flat bed trucks were being loaded with wooden casks full of Whisky for delivery to bottling plants. These casks were on stillages with the "bung" at six o'clock, underneath each bung was a small metal container(a couple of which were mess tins). The very fit young lady wearing a short kilt told us that the [drips] from the bungs/casks were caught in the various containers and were "drivers perks".

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Son has gifted me a bottle of this:
View attachment 483899
...which was very kind of him, and much appreciated; it has a fine bouquet to it. I shall taste this evening and report.

Sod it; the cap's off. It is indeed very smooth, and quite unlike the usual Jamesons (which I find too sharp and rough around the edges). Recommended.
I was just coming in to report back on mine, well the Mother's. I'd say it's very good for what you pay. A lot smoother than the usual Jamesons. Definitely there's that coffee note. It's a little one dimensional but it is still Jamesons. I'd go for it over any blended offering at the moment

I tried a bottle of Jamesons Caskmates Stout Cask because it was on offer in the Warsaw duty free. I found it underwhelming and forgettable.
It's not my first choice for an evening's sip, I must admit, but it was a gift and so is acceptable. The other night, angry about my bottle of Bell's running dry at only 0100hrs, I ordered some replacements from Amazon; Laphroaig 'select' (£23), Shackleton Blended Malt (£20):
Clipboard01.jpg

and Chivas Regal 12 Year Old Blended (£20), all in 70cl bottles. Pretty good value, there. Next week I shall bravely explore further.

philc

LE
True>
Many moons ago(too many to think about)whilst on(as the army called it)adventure training in Scotland we visited one of the larger distilleries which included a brief look in the yard where the flat bed trucks were being loaded with wooden casks full of Whisky for delivery to bottling plants. These casks were on stillages with the "bung" at six o'clock, underneath each bung was a small metal container(a couple of which were mess tins). The very fit young lady wearing a short kilt told us that the [drips] from the bungs/casks were caught in the various containers and were "drivers perks".
In the north of Italy, one of these used in the production of wine, tasting, samples etc is known as a ladro, Italian for thief.

Large-Pipette-with-Scale-Plastic-Dropper-Measuring-Tube-Kitchen-Baking-Tool-Black.jpg

It's not my first choice for an evening's sip, I must admit, but it was a gift and so is acceptable. The other night, angry about my bottle of Bell's running dry at only 0100hrs, I ordered some replacements from Amazon; Laphroaig 'select' (£23), Shackleton Blended Malt (£20):
View attachment 486148

and Chivas Regal 12 Year Old Blended (£20), all in 70cl bottles. Pretty good value, there. Next week I shall bravely explore further.
If you can get down to one of their shops, some good bargains here: Whisky Sale & Deals | Flash Sales | The Whisky Shop They're mainly shop held stock, not mail order.

Best stuff, IMO, has sold out for the most part but the anCnoc 12 at £26.99 a bargain....if I travel into London to buy I'd have to buy a few to warrant the train fare.

Edit to change the price range, there were couple of 3K bottles in the first one.

Last edited:
View attachment 486148

I too have a bottle of that Shackleton Blended Malt as a present from my daughter last month for being a nice Dad ... well so she said ... still unopened ... is yours ? and if not can I look forward to a treat .

I too have a bottle of that Shackleton Blended Malt as a present from my daughter last month for being a nice Dad ... well so she said ... still unopened ... is yours ? and if not can I look forward to a treat .
I have had a couple bottles of this when it was on offer, pleasant drinking whisky not spectacular but palatable

some good bargains here: Whisky Sale & Deals | Flash Sales | The Whisky Shop They're mainly shop held stock, not mail order.
Some of the prices there look a bit odd - Laphroaig Quarter Cask, for instance is considerably cheaper on many other websites than their offer at £42.99 - Amazon's price (free delivery with Prime) is £33.95.
I too have a bottle of that Shackleton Blended Malt as a present from my daughter last month for being a nice Dad ... well so she said ... still unopened ... is yours ? and if not can I look forward to a treat.
Not yet opened, sorry. Chivas Regal currently being depleted; very workable.

Some of the prices there look a bit odd - Laphroaig Quarter Cask, for instance is considerably cheaper on many other websites than their offer at £42.99 - Amazon's price (free delivery with Prime) is £33.95.
For sure, shop around, caveat emptor and all that. I reckon we'll see a lot more sales if the economy doesn't pick up.
Not yet opened, sorry. Chivas Regal currently being depleted; very workable.
No rush with any of this is there?

For sure, shop around, caveat emptor and all that. I reckon we'll see a lot more sales if the economy doesn't pick up.
No rush with any of this is there?
None at all! Unless, of course, the lower quarter of the nation's IQ bell-curve continue to spread their diseases incontinently, in which case I might have to start selling nips at the bottom of my driveway.

I had a wee play around tonight with three bottles of malts that I had nearly finished. Married a Loch Lomond with Morrisons Distillers choice and Allt -a -Bhainne and the result was very palatable

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Not whisky but I got gifted a bottle of 12 star metaxa, that is some gorgeous brandy. Knocks the socks off pretty much all cognac I've had before. Amazon have it on a great price too

Bad Smell

Clanker
One of the major grog outlets here in Oz, Dan Murphys has had a contract dispute with LVMH since the beginning of the year. Not that I care about the fizzy stuff but as they own Ardbeg and Glenmorangie, the shelves have been bare and these products have been removed from their website. They are still available at the other outlets but Dan's generally has the better prices.

Apparently the stock is still sitting in the warehouse and hopefully one day when they settle their differences, Dan's shelves will be flowing with these products and I would like to think there will be some good discounts to be had. As I missed out on getting the Glenmo 25yo last year, I am hoping they have one in the back somewhere with my name on it.

I only stopped drinking Grouse when I realised my local shop (for local people) was punting Bell's out cheaper.

In the interests of nostalgia, I would like to try some Teachers, VAT69, White Horse and Black & White - brands that I've never tried.
Vat 69 is about, was around before Band of Brothers(2001) promoted it as the drink of Lewis Nixon. Black & White a favourite in French supermarkets, have a couple in the house not a bad tipple.

Latest Threads