Whisky - elixir of life

philc

LE
In the mess in Berlin, there were a couple of old sweats, who would appear with a bottle of Glayva, and proceed to neck it like Tequila shots.

I got roped into this a few times, and whilst good fun at the time, I don't recall much about it, strangely enough!

Obviously Whisky based, with honey and spices, which gets rave reviews. Have you tried it? What is your opinion? Pure nectar or juice of the Devil to be conscripted to the pit of Hades?

The wife likes it, enough said.

In the mess in Berlin, there were a couple of old sweats, who would appear with a bottle of Glayva, and proceed to neck it like Tequila shots.

I got roped into this a few times, and whilst good fun at the time, I don't recall much about it, strangely enough!

Obviously Whisky based, with honey and spices, which gets rave reviews. Have you tried it? What is your opinion? Pure nectar or juice of the Devil to be conscripted to the pit of Hades?

Never been a big fan as it's a bit sweet for my taste. However in the 90's I used to go lough fishing with an old RA guy who was a friend of the family. Now even in the summer, an evening on a Scottish lough can be a bit nippy. Anyway Bob used to bring along a hip flask with Glayva in and a couple of those stainless steele colaspsable cups.
A generous slug of the stuff was always most welcome.

Vodka can be made very tasteful, by putting orange juice in it. Haven't you tried it? It's sweeter than whisky,
Whisky tastes nasty, and is only tolerable if you drink so much, that you lose your sense of taste.

That's true. Don't you know it really?

As a lone Scot, in England, I was often asked, "What's the best whisky?" My reply was, "Whatever you like." "But, but you're a Scot." As may be, but my taste may not be like your's. I was lucky. I drank whisky because I liked it. I have been with fellow Scots who have imbibed in whisky, but didn't like the taste!? "Why do you put so much water/lemonade into your whisky?" "To kill the taste." "But why do you drink it?" "To get drunk." "Well, **** me, so do I, but I enjoy the process." Drink what you like regardless of where it's from.

Drambuie - prompted by the above, I searched the darker parts of my booze shelf and found a bottle. The scent instantly takes me back to Friday nights before the village hop in Duns, Berwickshire, when the underage youth from many miles around would gather in the Black Bull to ram as much Drambuie and Special Brew down our necks, and bullshit each other about which fine lass was going to be picked up for a shag later. The most respected and impressive of us would demonstrate our ascendancy by being horribly sick on the way to the village hall. All that Scotch Courage was necessary, for we were indeed mostly a band of chicken-hearted wallflowers, and shags were a very sparse experience. Necking, fumbling, groping and promises of undying love were fairly common, though. Drambuie; I like it.

How perverted can you get. :oops:
View attachment 467945
Hard to be so disgusted as I am after seeing that, but the effect has been to make me refill my glass with Grouse. Please don't do it again.

Because I am ignorant(plus it was £8 off) I bought some Southern Comfort, it's minging.
Southern Comfort was, in the early 70s when I lived in London (Oakley Street, très chic) the bottle you'd take to a party. You didn't have to like the filthy stuff; you just had to pitch up with it in your camel-hair coat pocket. I lost many nights and following days to its effects. Mateus Rosé was easier to deal with, and together with 'Black Russian' cigarettes gave one an aura of sophisticated coolth. All very unhealthy, really. But cool.

Drambuie - prompted by the above, I searched the darker parts of my booze shelf and found a bottle. The scent instantly takes me back to Friday nights before the village hop in Duns, Berwickshire, when the underage youth from many miles around would gather in the Black Bull to ram as much Drambuie and Special Brew down our necks, and bullshit each other about which fine lass was going to be picked up for a shag later. The most respected and impressive of us would demonstrate our ascendancy by being horribly sick on the way to the village hall. All that Scotch Courage was necessary, for we were indeed mostly a band of chicken-hearted wallflowers, and shags were a very sparse experience. Necking, fumbling, groping and promises of undying love were fairly common, though. Drambuie; I like it.
For one's hip flask, fill almost to the brim with Tullamore and then finish with a tiny taster, no more than a couple of teaspoons full of Drambuie. It just puts a slight sweetness on the Tullamore, making it more drinkable in one's brew.

I'm told it's the ingredients one would use for a Rusty Nail, but I reckon it's nowhere near the ratio.

DSC04064 +1.JPG

Birthdays presents. The sixteen year old Highland park Twisted Tattoo is awesome it has been along time since I have savoured such an intense complex whisky. Well worth a punt lads

gorillaguts981

War Hero
For one's hip flask, fill almost to the brim with Tullamore and then finish with a tiny taster, no more than a couple of teaspoons full of Drambuie. It just puts a slight sweetness on the Tullamore, making it more drinkable in one's brew.

I'm told it's the ingredients one would use for a Rusty Nail, but I reckon it's nowhere near the ratio.
Usual ratio is 4:1 scotch to Drambuie but some with a sweet tooth go half and half. One of my favourite winter drinks.