Whisky - elixir of life

This gets consistent good reviews, and has been mentioned on here I believe?

Glenfarclas 15 Year Old Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

Thanks for posting that, I have subscribed and watched a couple of videos. Nice chap, down to earth.

About 20 years behind you! I used to bring a nice bottle for the old man, duty free from BAOR. I wasn't into it then, but would have one with him, before his Glaswegian mate and Welsh Crab Air mate descended, because they knew that free decent malt had arrived!

Long post, haven't been on thread for a week or two. Enjoying a nice peaty Caol Ila!
Glenfarclas are very highly regarded. Haven’t taken the plunge yet!
Glenfiddich: my favourite is the 15 year solera. Smooth and rich, the whisky I would give to someone who says they don’t like whisky. Sublime.
Glenmorangie is an excellent single malt, a great everyday tipple.

He's basically me but knows what he's talking about :D
As do I, my preferred Islay but I do like the Whisky Exchange own label Askaig - which could be a big clue ;-) I bought another bottle of the 10th anniv straight off after my first taste.
This one?

That does sound good!

Currently sat outside, by a garden fire with brother and his son.
Following all the rules, and common sense .

After a day shooting pigeons decimating the pea crop, we ate well and then bro said " there is a bottle of whisky left over from Christmas ".

Old Ballantruan.

Speyside Glenlivet, smokey as anything and 50% .

Lovely.

TamH70

MIA
This gets consistent good reviews, and has been mentioned on here I believe?

Glenfarclas 15 Year Old Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

Thanks for posting that, I have subscribed and watched a couple of videos. Nice chap, down to earth.

About 20 years behind you! I used to bring a nice bottle for the old man, duty free from BAOR. I wasn't into it then, but would have one with him, before his Glaswegian mate and Welsh Crab Air mate descended, because they knew that free decent malt had arrived!

Long post, haven't been on thread for a week or two. Enjoying a nice peaty Caol Ila!
I like the normal Glenmorangie, as shown above, but I would do almost anything including murder for a bottle of their old Port Finish aged whisky - the new fancy named stuff isn't as nice.

Got one of these yesterday for my birthday. Wont be opening it till I get my sense of taste back.

I like the normal Glenmorangie, as shown above, but I would do almost anything including murder for a bottle of their old Port Finish aged whisky - the new fancy named stuff isn't as nice.
The Longrow Peated I mentioned earlier arrived today...oh yes, @Wooden Wonder it's quite peaty which some find doesn't suit so you might want to ease into that kind of thing.

Got one of these yesterday for my birthday. Wont be opening it till I get my sense of taste back.
Hope you're not feeling it too badly. When it comes back you might find it heightened for the first few days, smell certainly is.

A glass of whisky by candlelight is quite pleasant. I fell for the Lidl Abrachan again and half the bottle has already disappeared in 2 days.

No power cuts or anything, just choosing to sit with a candle instead of electric lights before bed. Relaxing in a way I can't quite put my finger on, a bit like the Danish TV channel that broadcast a log fire.

philc

LE
Just broke the 40 day lent, a day late as I had to attend a funeral, so on the advice of someone here a glass or two of Glengoyne 12, I cant/dont do tasting notes but its very drinkable.

So the auction house has a new auction, here we go.

£500,000 as it stands. If I had the money, would I buy it and drink it, seems about the best time to do so.

Tool

LE
Recently I bought my Dad a bottle of Glengoyne 21yo for his eightieth birthday. So last night I was eventually able to get around to my folks place and assist him opening it.

I opened a bottle of the Glengoyne 10yo as a starter and as a comparison. Although it is a lovely drop and I prefer it over the 12yo, the 21 at 43% had the same Glengoyne taste but a bit fuller as expected. As it has spent the full 21 years in Sherry casks and not spoiled by bourbon casks it is sweet, fuller and lingers that bit longer.

Just making sure I can enjoy a few more drams with him whilst he is still healthy and active.
I'm not a whisky lover - quite the opposite in fact. About a bottle a year in total. And yes, with water. I did a tasting for the beginner whisky drinker. One of the samples was aged in red wine casks. Gopping sh!t. I also came to the cpnclusion that I don't like cask strength, and that peaty or Island style whiskys are not for me.

After that, I did a tasting at the Glengoyne distilliery and sampled 10, 12, 18 and 21yo drams. I preferred the 18 over the 21yo.
I've also grown a fondness (note my comment in bold) for The Macallan 12yo double cask.

TamH70

MIA
I'd be drinking some more of Tennessee's finest export that wasn't Ernie Ford if I hadn't cracked open a bottle of McEwan's Champion Ale to guzzle with my glorious repast of baked potatoes, spaghetti hoops, cooked ham and lashings of brown bread.

I like this thread though, it reminds me that I've still got some whiskey in the freezer.

My dry spell is over tomorrow (dry for Lent).

The choice to begin:

1. Allt a bhianne
  2. Steel bonnets (Lakeland Distillery)
  3. Penderyn Legend
  4. Penderyn Madeira Finish
  5. The Chita (Japanese)
  6. Talisker Storm
  7. Highland Park 12
  8. Tamnavulin
  9. Glen Keith
Where to start?

My dry spell is over tomorrow (dry for Lent).

The choice to begin:

1. Allt a bhianne
  2. Steel bonnets (Lakeland Distillery)
  3. Penderyn Legend
  4. Penderyn Madeira Finish
  5. The Chita (Japanese)
  6. Talisker Storm
  7. Highland Park 12
  8. Tamnavulin
  9. Glen Keith
Where to start?
After careful consideration, much thumbing through my tasting notes and a consultation with my friend.

Line 'em all up and start from the left!

Bushmills regular white label is one of my favourites.
I ordered a bottle of Tamnavulin sherry cask for the apocalypse and it is proving thoroughly delightful, particularly considering its reasonable price..
If you have the opportunity to go up the expense chain with Bushmills, try their Red and Black varieties. I don't mind White label, but it's definitely gulpin' whisky, not sippin'.

Teaspoon of Tullamore (it's whiskey, I know) in my Earl Grey does the trick.

Pot of Earl Grey with a drop of whizzo is just the thing while one sharpens the blades in preparation for the zombie apocalypse.

If you have the opportunity to go up the expense chain with Bushmills, try their Red and Black varieties. I don't mind White label, but it's definitely gulpin' whisky, not sippin'.
My opportunity to try Bushmills occurred 4-5 years ago when litre bottles of Black Bush were on sale at Luton DF for 21 quid. I found it very good indeed but when I needed to replen it was pricey, while the white label was on sale. I found that I like the white label so much there's no reason for me to fork out more for Black.
Can you recommend any other Irish whiskey (not Jamesons) that isn't expensive but could be interesting?

My opportunity to try Bushmills occurred 4-5 years ago when litre bottles of Black Bush were on sale at Luton DF for 21 quid. I found it very good indeed but when I needed to replen it was pricey, while the white label was on sale. I found that I like the white label so much there's no reason for me to fork out more for Black.
Can you recommend any other Irish whiskey (not Jamesons) that isn't expensive but could be interesting?
One of the more popular ones.

I like this, because it is peated and I like my Islays.

NB This was £23 when I bought my first bottle in Ireland.

But there is a whole array for you to have a browse through, slainte!

Latest Threads