Whisky - elixir of life

As for getting drunk, I'm nearing 61 and can count the amount of times I've been drunk on one hand, and it was never blind drunk neither.
Theoretically you have around 15 years to catch up. :)

I hope this isn't the wrong thing to say on Arrse, but I've never really understood what the attraction in it is, unless it's because it's a form of escapism maybe?
The sins of youth? It may be escapism for some, but it's a long slippery slope to oblivion.
One small measure on Friday or Saturday evenings is all that I need.

I’ve just opened my first ever single grain whisky after years of quaffing blends and single malts, bought it from amazon, Haig club, reasonably cheap, about the same as you‘d pay for a bottle of blended whisky. It had mixed reviews with some people calling it crap and others singing its praises. I’m in the latter camp. It‘s aged in Bourbon casks and you can definitely taste that. I’d buy it again.

philc

LE
This has just pinged in to my email box, any takers.

Macallan 72 Year Old Lalique Genesis Decanter

One of two "Genesis" releases bottled in 2018 to celebrate the opening of the brand new Macallan distillery. The first was the infamous Genesis 2018 Release, followed by this, the Spectacular Genesis Decanter.

TamH70

MIA

One of two "Genesis" releases bottled in 2018 to celebrate the opening of the brand new Macallan distillery. The first was the infamous Genesis 2018 Release, followed by this, the Spectacular Genesis Decanter.
54 grand and the reserve hasn't been met yet?

Cripes. Yon whisky must taste like the angels are peeing on your tongue for that amount of money not to be enough to buy it.

You'd have to buy 2. Drink one then the other one would be worth more!

Personally I think all this stuff about "whiskey" is a lot of rubbish. All that matters is alcohol.

Alcohol makes you drunk. And whether you get drunk from the alcohol in whisky, or vodka, or anything else - what's the importance?
Well then, feck off, run along now.

I was going to hazard a guess at 22K - well out.

54 grand and the reserve hasn't been met yet?

Cripes. Yon whisky must taste like the angels are peeing on your tongue for that amount of money not to be enough to buy it.
Collectors don't care, they have the money. the guy who introduced me to Springbank had an old vault style walk in room in his shop where he kept his rare stuff. He was selling stuff at 2K a bottle back then. What may be obscene to me is bragging rights for someone else. These people help keep the industry going.

I've always had a strict limit on how much I'm willing to spend on stuff I'll piss down the drain and though I can see the benefits in collecting have never bothered keeping stuff for that purpose. I have in fact cracked bottles because they were getting too expensive.

@Wooden Wonder

If you're looking to try a peaty drink, this was superb the last one I bought a few years back - can't vouch for the current release but it's VFM as a NAS bottle.

Longrow Peated

Collectors don't care, they have the money. the guy who introduced me to Springbank had an old vault style walk in room in his shop where he kept his rare stuff. He was selling stuff at 2K a bottle back then. What may be obscene to me is bragging rights for someone else. These people help keep the industry going.

I've always had a strict limit on how much I'm willing to spend on stuff I'll piss down the drain and though I can see the benefits in collecting have never bothered keeping stuff for that purpose. I have in fact cracked bottles because they were getting too expensive.
Much what I think
I have two bottles that cost just under £200 each,
Both Glen Moray, they have wonderful notes and I don't regret what I paid but my ceiling is £200 a bottle and no more.

Much what I think
I have two bottles that cost just under £200 each,
Both Glen Moray, they have wonderful notes and I don't regret what I paid but my ceiling is £200 a bottle and no more.
My limit was always £100 but: a) You're a long time dead and 2) Don't die rich or healthy

So I'm probably going to revise it upwards. There are plenty who see the £100 as obscene as well, let alone £200 mind. Often without taking into account how long a bottle lasts - half a dozen glasses will go a long way.

. What may be obscene to me is bragging rights for someone else. These people help keep the industry going.
The last time I invested dosh in bragging rights was for '58 pouches in Silvermans for tarting up my IDF assault vest.
I'd rather expend dosh on something nice I can drink than on bragging rights.

The last time I invested dosh in bragging rights was for '58 pouches in Silvermans for tarting up my IDF assault vest.
I'd rather expend dosh on something nice I can drink than on bragging rights.
Had a few long chats with the guy who had the walk in vault and he had spotted the market well early. Vince reckoned that as they were so wealthy they needed something exclusive and not that well known. It's all standard sales stuff but that's what forces the pace.

Had a few long chats with the guy who had the walk in vault and he had spotted the market well early. Vince reckoned that as they were so wealthy they needed something exclusive and not that well known. It's all standard sales stuff but that's what forces the pace.
All of which is fair game, and can only add to the coffers of the distiller, and the taxman. Which only benefits us all.
Distillers are making better whisky than ever before. I believe that, in turn, the thirst for the stuff is leading to higher standards in the world of whisky. I sampled a Dutch-made whisky in Amsterdam last year and it was pretty damn good. Before that I had never heard of Dutch whisky.
The world of whisky is very inventive and it was always so. Good times.

All of which is fair game, and can only add to the coffers of the distiller, and the taxman. Which only benefits us all.
Distillers are making better whisky than ever before. I believe that, in turn, the thirst for the stuff is leading to higher standards in the world of whisky. I sampled a Dutch-made whisky in Amsterdam last year and it was pretty damn good. Before that I had never heard of Dutch whisky.
The world of whisky is very inventive and it was always so. Good times.
Dutch have been distilling good booze for centuries of course, I have a 6 year old Bols Corenwyn on the shelf - a bit of an edge on it and meant for a chaser - not opened because it needs a good barbie and the shot glasses out.

Anyway, a local wine merchant has been in touch. His business delivers wines and spirits to bars, restaurants etc. As they are goosed, he has given a discount to locals who would like some booze. It’s all exclusive stuff, but they have some tempting Glenfarclas releases.
I am bust and living off savings. It is also my dads 70th this year, and I want to show I can produce a nice whisky. My dad sticks Canada Dry in all whisky bought for him (I can hear you whimper in pain).
This is something of an issue. I know that a really nice bottle would be a splendid pressie for the old geezer, and he would be happy slurping something “nicer”, just as supermarket stuff.
Any recommendations?
This gets consistent good reviews, and has been mentioned on here I believe?

Glenfarclas 15 Year Old Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

@Goutyfrub A review of a Glenfiddich 18 by Ralfy from today so it probably matches yours, he knows his onions..
Thanks for posting that, I have subscribed and watched a couple of videos. Nice chap, down to earth.

Ok guys which was the first malt whisky you tried. My first foray into Malts was in 1967 when an old guy in the pub I was drinking in said why don't you try this and it was Talisker there was only two malts in the pub the other was Glen Fiddich
About 20 years behind you! I used to bring a nice bottle for the old man, duty free from BAOR. I wasn't into it then, but would have one with him, before his Glaswegian mate and Welsh Crab Air mate descended, because they knew that free decent malt had arrived!

Long post, haven't been on thread for a week or two. Enjoying a nice peaty Caol Ila!

Thanks for posting that, I have subscribed and watched a couple of videos. Nice chap, down to earth.
He's basically me but knows what he's talking about :D
Long post, haven't been on thread for a week or two. Enjoying a nice peaty Caol Ila!
As do I, my preferred Islay but I do like the Whisky Exchange own label Askaig - which could be a big clue ;-) I bought another bottle of the 10th anniv straight off after my first taste.

Latest Threads