Whisky - elixir of life

Personally I think all this stuff about "whiskey" is a lot of rubbish. All that matters is alcohol.

Alcohol makes you drunk. And whether you get drunk from the alcohol in whisky, or vodka, or anything else - what's the importance?
Whiskey is great - it all depends on finding whiskeys that you like. As for getting drunk, I'm nearing 61 and can count the amount of times I've been drunk on one hand, and it was never blind drunk neither.

mcphee1948

War Hero
Whiskey is great - it all depends on finding whiskeys that you like. As for getting drunk, I'm nearing 61 and can count the amount of times I've been drunk on one hand, and it was never blind drunk neither.
When you say you're nearing 61, loofkar, I would like to get into bed with you, with us both blind drunk.
I hope there's no offence taken.

Personally I think all this stuff about "whiskey" is a lot of rubbish. All that matters is alcohol.

Alcohol makes you drunk. And whether you get drunk from the alcohol in whisky, or vodka, or anything else - what's the importance?
Probably the first time I have ever disagreed. Whisky is meant to be used as as loosener socially. Just like having a pint or two. Or a vodka on arriving at a Polish friends house. It is a gift or friendship, a reviver, something to be a social lubricant, something to do do business, and cement friendships over.

mcphee1948

War Hero
Probably the first time I have ever disagreed. Whisky is meant to be used as as loosener socially. Just like having a pint or two. Or a vodka on arriving at a Polish friends house. It is a gift or friendship, a reviver, something to be a social lubricant, something to do do business, and cement friendships over.
Thanks Rang, but it's the alcohol that really matters, cheers!

Anyway, a local wine merchant has been in touch. His business delivers wines and spirits to bars, restaurants etc. As they are goosed, he has given a discount to locals who would like some booze. It’s all exclusive stuff, but they have some tempting Glenfarclas releases.
I am bust and living off savings. It is also my dads 70th this year, and I want to show I can produce a nice whisky. My dad sticks Canada Dry in all whisky bought for him (I can hear you whimper in pain).
This is something of an issue. I know that a really nice bottle would be a splendid pressie for the old geezer, and he would be happy slurping something “nicer”, just as supermarket stuff.
Any recommendations?

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Anyway, a local wine merchant has been in touch. His business delivers wines and spirits to bars, restaurants etc. As they are goosed, he has given a discount to locals who would like some booze. It’s all exclusive stuff, but they have some tempting Glenfarclas releases.
I am bust and living off savings. It is also my dads 70th this year, and I want to show I can produce a nice whisky. My dad sticks Canada Dry in all whisky bought for him (I can hear you whimper in pain).
This is something of an issue. I know that a really nice bottle would be a splendid pressie for the old geezer, and he would be happy slurping something “nicer”, just as supermarket stuff.
Any recommendations?
What about that Glava whisky liqueur stuff? I'd imagine it would go lovely with ginger ale

Any recommendations?
As you are bust with limited funds go to Aldi or Lidl and get one of theirs aldi has a variety from 14.99 to 19.99 all good stuff same with Lidl

As you are bust with limited funds go to Aldi or Lidl and get one of theirs aldi has a variety from 14.99 to 19.99 all good stuff same with Lidl
If going to Lidl then their Abrachan blend is very nice for about 18 quid. They do a Highland and Speyside single malt, one of which was very pleasant and one was OK. Unfortunately I can't remember which way round it was.

No idea on their Glen Orchy cheaper blend but that's next on the list when I get bored.

Bad Smell

Swinger
Recently I bought my Dad a bottle of Glengoyne 21yo for his eightieth birthday. So last night I was eventually able to get around to my folks place and assist him opening it.

I opened a bottle of the Glengoyne 10yo as a starter and as a comparison. Although it is a lovely drop and I prefer it over the 12yo, the 21 at 43% had the same Glengoyne taste but a bit fuller as expected. As it has spent the full 21 years in Sherry casks and not spoiled by bourbon casks it is sweet, fuller and lingers that bit longer.

Just making sure I can enjoy a few more drams with him whilst he is still healthy and active.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Recently I bought my Dad a bottle of Glengoyne 21yo for his eightieth birthday. So last night I was eventually able to get around to my folks place and assist him opening it.

I opened a bottle of the Glengoyne 10yo as a starter and as a comparison. Although it is a lovely drop and I prefer it over the 12yo, the 21 at 43% had the same Glengoyne taste but a bit fuller as expected. As it has spent the full 21 years in Sherry casks and not spoiled by bourbon casks it is sweet, fuller and lingers that bit longer.

Just making sure I can enjoy a few more drams with him whilst he is still healthy and active.
I bang on about it but Glengoyne is an incredible bottle. Price rises fast after the 10 but luckily it's my favourite. The quarter bottle selection boxes are great too

TamH70

MIA
From reading the above posts, it's clear that there are many varieties of Scotch whisky. Each with its own individual nuances of taste.

What about the competing spirit - Irish "whiskey". I don't think I've ever tried it.

But I do remember that in "The Eagle Has Landed", and its sequel "The Eagle Has Flown", the central character whose name escapes me, keeps going on about "Bushmills" as if it was the only one worth drinking.

Is that true, or are there other rival, possibly superior, "whiskeys"?
Bushmills is the best known and as you say, the main Irish character, who is named Liam Devlin by the way, quite likes it, but Jameson's also exists - it's supposed to be fairly nice and comes in several varietals. Full disclosure: I have tried neither of those brands - I am either a Scotch, Bourbon or Tennesse Sour Mash drinker.

PSA - if you like Jack Daniels whiskey, Tesco are currently selling a 70CL bottle for the princely sum of sixteen of your British Pounds. I bought mine today, and it's now in the freezer.

mcphee1948

War Hero
Thanks for replying to my post which I thought I'd deleted! I get confused these days.

Bushmills is the best known and as you say, the main Irish character, who is named Liam Devlin by the way, quite likes it, but Jameson's also exists - it's supposed to be fairly nice and comes in several varietals. Full disclosure: I have tried neither of those brands - I am either a Scotch, Bourbon or Tennesse Sour Mash drinker.

PSA - if you like Jack Daniels whiskey, Tesco are currently selling a 70CL bottle for the princely sum of sixteen of your British Pounds. I bought mine today, and it's now in the freezer.
Bushmills regular white label is one of my favourites.
I ordered a bottle of Tamnavulin sherry cask for the apocalypse and it is proving thoroughly delightful, particularly considering its reasonable price..

Jameson's is lovely, haven't tried the caskmates or reserve editions though.

If you like blended this is a lovely whiskey:

Slainte!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads