Whisky - elixir of life

Ok guys which was the first malt whisky you tried. My first foray into Malts was in 1967 when an old guy in the pub I was drinking in said why don't you try this and it was Talisker there was only two malts in the pub the other was Glen Fiddich
First malt a Macallan, which I'm still fond of and I also supped Glenfiddich. Back in the day, drinking malt was viewed by some as being pretetnious as feck. Real men drank a Johnny Walker Red or Grouse, preferably a hauf and hauf.

Moved onto Islay's and Campbelltown about 1990, purely down to my local, also Clynelish and anCnoc. Which I stayed with more or less.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I was amazed how much he had to say about it. Having watched I decided to imbibe, this time with just a drip of water and I let it sit for a bit (not quite 18 minutes I think but close). Very nice, I’m in Canada but still got 40%, this could become a hobby especially if we are stuck in for a bit.

What he didn’t mention is the incredible rate of evaporation in the bottle. :)
If you watch him you'll get to know the jargon that goes with it, as I say a lot of bollocks talked but some it by very knowledgeable people. Roy from Aquavitae is a bit less flowery and does a cracking empty bottle review, Scotch 4 Dummies are 4 Canadians who will have something of interest to say and I also watch the Whisky Vault.

It's not about taking their word as gospel though, it's about your own taste and its development or not...

Thanks, given that this bottle seems unlikely to make the weekend I’m off to the LCBO lunch tomorrow (while I still can to see what next). I really am enjoying this one any tips what next - assuming it can be delivered.

TamH70

MIA
I had the chance last night to pick up a 70cl bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey for under 20 quid and I passed on it because I have to pay my first installment of Council Tax before the first of April.

Which is next week.

Bugger.

No more hooch for a fortnight.

Thanks, given that this bottle seems unlikely to make the weekend I’m off to the LCBO lunch tomorrow (while I still can to see what next). I really am enjoying this one any tips what next - assuming it can be delivered.
Watch...all of it...

Last edited:
I also picked up a bottle of Abrachan blended whisky from Lidl, similar price to their single malts. Very drinkable, the closest I can describe it is reminding me of Glenfiddich. Not the same, just similar in terms of lightness and a 'clean' flavour. A nice change from the Islays I usually buy.
Forget that, it's shit, the bottle's empty already ;)

I have ordered a bottle of Tamnavulin Sherry Cask and a litre of Wild Turkey to help see me over the current period.
The vendor delivers by courier, free of charge.

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: D8fOT6Le8Jn5gzAI)
Learn More

Thanks but wouldn’t play
Corrected the link, it displayed when I previewed and posted but was short of the final letter.

Just done a quick review of bar stocks. Should see me through to the end of the month... have to go easy though.
20200326_161117.jpg

Whiskey a favourite and reasonably well represented.

And why a little water can release those flavours and aroma.

Last edited:

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Personally I think all this stuff about "whiskey" is a lot of rubbish. All that matters is alcohol.

Alcohol makes you drunk. And whether you get drunk from the alcohol in whisky, or vodka, or anything else - what's the importance?

Personally I think all this stuff about "whiskey" is a lot of rubbish. All that matters is alcohol.

Alcohol makes you drunk. And whether you get drunk from the alcohol in whisky, or vodka, or anything else - what's the importance?
If you drink to get drunk fair enough but if you drink a couple to enjoy it then whisky has taste where as vodka is tasteless

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
If you drink to get drunk fair enough but if you drink a couple to enjoy it then whisky has taste where as vodka is tasteless
Vodka can be made very tasteful, by putting orange juice in it. Haven't you tried it? It's sweeter than whisky,
Whisky tastes nasty, and is only tolerable if you drink so much, that you lose your sense of taste.

That's true. Don't you know it really?

Vodka can be made very tasteful, by putting orange juice in it. Haven't you tried it? It's sweeter than whisky,
Whisky tastes nasty, and is only tolerable if you drink so much, that you lose your sense of taste.

That's true. Don't you know it really?
Philistine

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
The review on the Jameson's Stout Edition may have to wait, it went to the Mother for Mums day, how long of the self isolation is left?

Re vodka, you can get a great range of flavours if it's decent stuff. Russian Standard for example has a real vanilla note and a long after taste.

I was happily sipping my way through a bottle prior to Christmas

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads