Whisky - elixir of life

It certainly has it’s cachet.
Just seen that. I won't give it an 'old', though.

Fishers was one of the hotels used by Parents of the vile youths at my school, so at half-term and whenever else they turned up, we youths would find ourselves there. I never forgot the slightly odd concessionary arrangement of the whisky bar, though, so it was my first choice of resort for a honeymoon when that occasion happened some years later. A very good choice; their collection of fine whiskies was unparallelled at the time, and probably remains so now.

A thought came to me earlier

Now I've recovered i thought I'd share; generally across the board I feel 10 year old malts are the sweet spot for me. Doesn't particularly matter what style, Ardbeg 10, Glengoyne 10, Glenmorangie 10 etc I always prefer these to the older offerings.

Anyone else have a similar age in their cabinets and not noticed?
Aye but again a personal choice I used to visit a malt whisky " expert" who said that whisky was at it's best between 10 & 12 years old after that the whisky absorbed more from the wood and could be not as vibrant as a younger whisky

Now I've recovered i thought I'd share; generally across the board I feel 10 year old malts are the sweet spot for me. Doesn't particularly matter what style, Ardbeg 10, Glengoyne 10, Glenmorangie 10 etc I always prefer these to the older offerings.

Not at the moment, but a few years ago my fine Son gave me a tour of the Bushmills distillery as a present, and I bought a bottle of their 11 (or maybe 12) year-old at the gifte shoppe. It was truly outstanding, but they don't retail it, the brutes. Their Red Label is very smooth and good (I'd rate it as equal to the J Walker Black), but for some reason is sometimes hard to find.

I have possibly a heathen question.. I have had a little water with whisky before and for me it’s influence is mariginal. Just tried I very small dash in the new one and it’s made it harsher. It’s much nicer warm (room temperature) and neat. I will sip it how I like it, but I understood a little water enhanced the taste. Are my buds shot.
Taste is personal, the flavour of the whisky may change a bit over time and you might try adding a teaspoon of water. Strength can affect it as well, Glenfiddich tends to be bottled at 40% which doesn't leave much room for pissing about with it.

Whisky, like anything that's fashionable, has a lot of bollocks talked about it - some of it is true. I used to down Islay whisky in one go just to annoy some feck who was forever lecturing about how you should drink it. There's a reason bars in Scotland have small jugs of water though.

Sip it how you like though, always a smooth dink is Glenfiddich.

I like less smooth sometimes, a bit of an edge.

The single malt produced for the 1er RPIMa by the Distillerie Rozelieures.

The 1er RPIMa is a French Army unit,the inheritor of the Free French SAS.

Whisky.jpg

philc

LE
Just seen that. I won't give it an 'old', though.

Fishers was one of the hotels used by Parents of the vile youths at my school, so at half-term and whenever else they turned up, we youths would find ourselves there. I never forgot the slightly odd concessionary arrangement of the whisky bar, though, so it was my first choice of resort for a honeymoon when that occasion happened some years later. A very good choice; their collection of fine whiskies was unparallelled at the time, and probably remains so now.
If your talking about Fishers in Pitlochery was in bar last summer, it was looking a little tired as was the whole hotel, however the Eastern European lass behind the bar had no concept of pouring a measure and was er rather generous.

The single malt produced for the 1er RPIMa by the Distillerie Rozelieures.

The 1er RPIMa is a French Army unit,the inheritor of the Free French SAS.

View attachment 457765
Never had any Rozelieures, my next purchase possibly. See what reviews say.

I always used to go for 15-18yo. Especially Linkwood, Springbank and Teaninich.
However the price has gone through the roof in the last few years.
Now I am happy with 10 and 12 yo. I like Jura and Highland Park, both very reasonable in the supermarkets at the moment at around the £25 mark.
Every now and then I will splash out on an expensive bottle, but it's a rare event these days.

I always used to go for 15-18yo. Especially Linkwood, Springbank and Teaninich.
However the price has gone through the roof in the last few years.
Now I am happy with 10 and 12 yo. I like Jura and Highland Park, both very reasonable in the supermarkets at the moment at around the £25 mark.
Every now and then I will splash out on an expensive bottle, but it's a rare event these days.
Springbank cask strength 12 year old a reasonable buy - whisky market's artificially high IMO, too many investors but I reckon some will get their fingers burnt.

There has been a programme on BBC Scotland about whisky I am watching it on catch up. It is in two parts and worth watching

There has been a programme on BBC Scotland about whisky I am watching it on catch up. It is in two parts and worth watching

The third episode is apparently on Sunday. I saw it when originally broadcast a few years ago but it's still worth a watch now.

Last edited:
Given all this panic buying stuff and finding out when I got in from work that pubs are shut I quickly restocked the beer supplies this evening.

I also picked up a bottle of Abrachan blended whisky from Lidl, similar price to their single malts. Very drinkable, the closest I can describe it is reminding me of Glenfiddich. Not the same, just similar in terms of lightness and a 'clean' flavour. A nice change from the Islays I usually buy.

Anything interesting? My own pet theory is that the Chinese crackdown on gifts/graft has affected the higher end. I reckon they've been managing poor sales for three or four years. No real evidence mind, just noticing what's been going on offer.

Cracked the Bladnoch 10, a bit sweet for my tastes but nice longish finish, which pleases me.

Cracked a Signatory 2008 Deanston, still a bit sweet for my taste but a whole different kettle of fish to the Bladnoch. Long finish with a pleasing bit of edge to it.

Taste is personal, the flavour of the whisky may change a bit over time and you might try adding a teaspoon of water. Strength can affect it as well, Glenfiddich tends to be bottled at 40% which doesn't leave much room for pissing about with it.

Whisky, like anything that's fashionable, has a lot of bollocks talked about it - some of it is true. I used to down Islay whisky in one go just to annoy some feck who was forever lecturing about how you should drink it. There's a reason bars in Scotland have small jugs of water though.

Sip it how you like though, always a smooth dink is Glenfiddich.
@Goutyfrub A review of a Glenfiddich 18 by Ralfy from today so it probably matches yours, he knows his onions..

Ok guys which was the first malt whisky you tried. My first foray into Malts was in 1967 when an old guy in the pub I was drinking in said why don't you try this and it was Talisker there was only two malts in the pub the other was Glen Fiddich

Ok guys which was the first malt whisky you tried. My first foray into Malts was in 1967 when an old guy in the pub I was drinking in said why don't you try this and it was Talisker there was only two malts in the pub the other was Glen Fiddich
Ha ha. I can remember exactly when and what it was. My old man used to drink Dimple, but every Christmas he'd buy a bottle of The Glenlivet. When I was 14 I sneaked a swig from the bottle. It nearly made me gag and I hated it!
I love Glenlivet now!

@Goutyfrub A review of a Glenfiddich 18 by Ralfy from today so it probably matches yours, he knows his onions..
Thanks for that, I was amazed how much he had to say about it. Having watched I decided to imbibe, this time with just a drip of water and I let it sit for a bit (not quite 18 minutes I think but close). Very nice, I’m in Canada but still got 40%, this could become a hobby especially if we are stuck in for a bit.

What he didn’t mention is the incredible rate of evaporation in the bottle. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads