Whisky - elixir of life

Probably down to my unsophisticated taste buds but this stuff aint bad.
Not that I'm offering but it would be interesting to have the opinion of someone with a more educated palate.
Pretty ordinary supermarket blend could not drink it neat too firey .Do a taste test with an more upmarket blend like Isle of Skye 8 year old or Black bottle or high end Chivas Regal and you will notice the difference

Pretty ordinary supermarket blend could not drink it neat too firey .Do a taste test with an more upmarket blend like Isle of Skye 8 year old or Black bottle or high end Chivas Regal and you will notice the difference
The wife bought me some Dalwhinnie Winters Gold for christmas and yes there is a big difference, but as I've said my taste buds to say the least are "common".
With a birthday coming up I shall drop some hints about the ones you suggested.

The wife bought me some Dalwhinnie Winters Gold for christmas and yes there is a big difference, but as I've said my taste buds to say the least are "common".
With a birthday coming up I shall drop some hints about the ones you suggested.
I don't know whether there's such a thing as "common" taste buds but I am definitely stingy about alcohol. However, I recently visited mater and pater for a few days, which involved unimpeded access to their current stock of whiskies. Despite the variety of choice, at some point I just felt like a dram of regular Grouse and enjoyed it greatly. No matter how much I appreciate some of the more expensive editions, the lesson was what's best is what is available at the right place and time to suit one's mood.

Attachments

Come here for the thread title.

Stay for the recommendations.

I do love ARRSE sometimes

Here's one of my Christmas Collection; 'Naked Grouse'
...which includes this disturbing photo on the associated webpage.
Clipboard01.jpg

That page is clearly aimed at a younger market, and I'm no marketing genius, but; humbly, 'sours' are an American abomination, and I don't really think this whisky is so bad that it needs grapefruit juice to improve it. In fact, it's very smooth (but with a sharpish but pleasant aftertaste) and as a malt blend very acceptable. As an alternative to one of the comparably-priced blends, worth it.

Here's one of my Christmas Collection; 'Naked Grouse'
...which includes this disturbing photo on the associated webpage. View attachment 444744
That page is clearly aimed at a younger market, and I'm no marketing genius, but; humbly, 'sours' are an American abomination, and I don't really think this whisky is so bad that it needs grapefruit juice to improve it. In fact, it's very smooth (but with a sharpish but pleasant aftertaste) and as a malt blend very acceptable. As an alternative to one of the comparably-priced blends, worth it.
That is marketing bunkum, and if the Portman Group isn’t all over that I’d be surprised.
The use of sherry casks is well established, and like you, I enjoy a sherry cask-matured whisky.
I think the sour thing is a bit desperate in that these guys see the spirits market being overrun by gin. They will have to hold their nerve as quality will out. Bit difficult when you have a product that will hopefully come good in twelve years when a gin distiller can whack out a batch in a week.
Good things come to those that can wait.

I treated my self to a bottle of cask strength Ileach for burns night. What a dram one to savour on a cold January night complex ,smooth and very peaty if you like Islay whisky def. one to try

I treated my self to a bottle of cask strength Ileach for burns night. What a dram one to savour on a cold January night complex ,smooth and very peaty if you like Islay whisky def. one to try
:rolleyes: My usual bad habit of scan reading, I thought poor old lad he's resorted to drinking bleach. :cool:

...with "aromas of salty sea spray, bonfire smoke, Bramley apples and cinnamon; on the palate there are complex layers of allspice, tangy pineapple, smoked dark chocolate and hints of balsamic dressing".

I've widdled something like that into the dark waters of the marina in the early morning; it's amazing what scents and flavours your kidneys add to the experience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads