Whisky - elixir of life

I remember Stewarts cream of the barley! Not that long ago, surely.....squared-off bottlle IIRC. I'd buy it again.

Not overly impressed with Penderyn Welsh whisky, that'n should be interesting
And it’s rather expensive, I’ve never tried Welsh whisky and I won‘t be any time soon.

Queen Anne what?
sorry I should have included this link

Totally agree.
Cotswold Whisky is good though.
Cotswolds is OK if it's on offer but nothing to shout about, it's a good enough drink but nothing special, not tried an English Whisky company bottle but they get decent write ups. Best English whisky I've had by a country mile is Bimber.

It is! There's a sherried (?) one about in Sainsbury's at the moment, black & white paisley-pattern box. Not the cheapest, but very nice (and >40% alc if you need to justify the extra £ :) ).
The sub £40 marker is a lot for a 3 year old whisky. It came out at £45 as well so they've learned. As I say, IMO good but not great and there's better VFM (If you can get it)

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
sorry I should have included this link

Blended?

Not sure if that's my cup of tea, wot?

I like Single Malt and Bourbon Whiskey (and the Tennessee Sour Mash varietal thereof), and l don't think l have ever knowingly bought a blended whisky.

TamH70

MIA
More accurately :D

Nah. To be honest, when I were but a lad and it was still the T.A., I had my fill of drinking to excess. Now if I do more than two units of alcohol per week I'm surprised.

Blended?

I like Single Malt and Bourbon Whiskey (and the Tennessee Sour Mash varietal thereof), and l don't think l have ever knowingly bought a blended whisky.
I have, for two reasons. Make a toddy when I've had a cold; and when I've got outside a few malts, feel a bit drunk but don't wish to waste any more malts going that wee bit further.

Nah. To be honest, when I were but a lad and it was still the T.A., I had my fill of drinking to excess. Now if I do more than two units of alcohol per week I'm surprised.
I’m in a similar Boat mostly, but I still find I have odd times where it gets out of hand. Just takes way less to get there these days.

And it’s rather expensive, I’ve never tried Welsh whisky and I won‘t be any time soon.

Got this today in Asda on a whim. Cheap......thought......give it a go. Supposed to be a single malt but very much like a blend. Reminds me of Stewarts cream of the barley ( im sure the old among you will remember it) Def not sipping malt.

View attachment 683264
You saved me £20! Which I promptly spent on another recommended: Ardmore (nice, unspectacular, has character). Asda had Penderyn on offer, too,
So I spent another £20 on a litre of Jim Beam instead ;)

Gents. I have a confession to make. (Bless me father for i have sinned) . Out for daughters biffday tonight and she gets me a Gentleman Jack bourbon. Its lush, love it, want a bottle. I'm a sinner.

Gents. I have a confession to make. (Bless me father for i have sinned) . Out for daughters biffday tonight and she gets me a Gentleman Jack bourbon. Its lush, love it, want a bottle. I'm a sinner.
Shocking confession, say three highland malts and open a bottle of whisky and wash your mouth out ;) :D o_O

Blended?

I definitely have. For a long time it was all I could afford.
I remember when NAAFI whisky was Famous Grouse but 10 pfg cheaper.

Latest Threads