Whisky - elixir of life

263253362_2174872736002329_4046438413068473619_n.jpg

This is one of a couple of designs for the launch of Glen Wyvis . As an original investor I get a free bottle and it should be in my hands before Christmas .

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
As a beer drinker, I only tend to drink whisky on the odd occasion or after a meal, so my consumption is relatively small, apart from Hogmanay when it does go down like the Bismarck. I do like the stuff but just prefer the products of some of the small Scottish breweries of a Friday or Saturday evening.

I currently have around five bottles, including Glengoyne Cask Strength at 58.9%, which at the current rate of drinking is going to take me a good while to get through. I appreciate there's no 'use by' date but it appears some of you seem get through quite a lot of the stuff rather quickly and need topping up on a regular basis.

How often do you have a quaff and does anything accompany it?

As a beer drinker, I only tend to drink whisky on the odd occasion or after a meal, so my consumption is relatively small, apart from Hogmanay when it does go down like the Bismarck. I do like the stuff but just prefer the products of some of the small Scottish breweries of a Friday or Saturday evening.

I currently have around five bottles, including Glengoyne Cask Strength at 58.9%, which at the current rate of drinking is going to take me a good while to get through. I appreciate there's no 'use by' date but it appears some of you seem get through quite a lot of the stuff rather quickly and need topping up on a regular basis.

Most nights with a wee drop of water, but only after ten o clock at night. If you want to do a red cross drop off with any excess bottles feel free to message me

Last edited:

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer

Pretty similar to your consumption pattern for me

a slice of apple or some oatcakes help bring out a depth of flavour I might otherwise miss, some times I add water to the whisky but not often

if at home it is invariable a late evening drink

if on a whisky tour, it can be had for breakfast!

Spotted Lidl had an Islay in their own Ben Bracken range today. The rest of the range are good, any views on the 18 year old Islay? It's about 40 quid, worth it for that or two bottles of their Abrachan which is a nice dram?

Spotted Lidl had an Islay in their own Ben Bracken range today. The rest of the range are good, any views on the 18 year old Islay? It's about 40 quid, worth it for that or two bottles of their Abrachan which is a nice dram?

I was looking at that as well. Aldi are also doing an eighteen year old for the same price . Just not sure thinking of dropping a few hints for Christmas present

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Pretty similar to your consumption pattern for me

a slice of apple or some oatcakes help bring out a depth of flavour I might otherwise miss, some times I add water to the whisky but not often

if at home it is invariable a late evening drink

if on a whisky tour, it can be had for breakfast!
We used to play rugby on Islay and one of their props was an older guy and manager of one of the distilleries. They'd give us a tour of it before the game but some of our lot couldn't behave when it came to the drams at the end of the tour. They'd be fine for the first twenty minutes of the game, then - crash!

I was looking at that as well. Aldi are also doing an eighteen year old for the same price . Just not sure thinking of dropping a few hints for Christmas present
I gave in to temptation today as they've moved the bottles right next to the till. It's being saved until after the Christmas drunkenness but poured a tiny glass to test. Very nice, there's a hint of peaty grow-bag but quite understated compared to a standard 10 year Laphroaig. I don't buy expensive whisky as it's frankly wasted on me but this is definitely a step up from the usual 20 quid stuff.

I am now debating buying another couple of bottles to hide at the back of a cupboard.

Today have been given a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter Gold ....

Whisky WL.png

.... currently watching on TV Michael Palin in North Korea with a weather eye on the " Safe Journey " thread ... the Winter Gold is going down nicely ... also free which is a tremendous plus .

philc

LE
Today have been given a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter Gold ....

View attachment 620118
.... currently watching on TV Michael Palin in North Korea with a weather eye on the " Safe Journey " thread ... the Winter Gold is going down nicely ... also free which is a tremendous plus .

Some one some where suggested that chilled.

Some one some where suggested that chilled.

My initial reaction was soft ... sweetish ... long after glow ... will try the chilling in the future .