"Where did you get that accent?"
Ronnie " Eton, old sausage"
SM "Well, stop eating old sausages!"

Also
"What's this crap?"
"Bean Salad"
"I don't care what it was, I want to know what it is now!"
:)
Sad news Yardhead has demised ,farewell old friend , but onwards and upwards just open a Glen Moray Peated edition £18 in Morrisons last week

Last edited:

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Recently I had another online whisky tasting for BenRiach. One of those distilleries that I had mixed feelings for some reason but generally it was high praise previously under the guiding hand of Billy Walker. The general variety was just confusing with some many different bottlings available which are usually quickly sold out.

Anyway we sampled the 10yo, 10yo Smokey, 12yo, Quarter Cask along with its peated version, a 21yo and a Signatory 20yo at 59.4%. All at 46% except the 10yo at 43% whilst the Quarter Casks are travel retail only and designed with input from them. We had the local Brand Ambassador and Global Brand Ambassador before he had time for breakfast in the UK. All the whiskies had a small amount of smoke except for the 12yo which for me was the highlight with its combination of bourbon, oloroso and port casks. Good flavours across the range and hugely informative from the distillery. So overall another enjoyable evening and I ordered a bottle of the 12yo which is putting a bit of a strain on the budget as I have two more tastings in coming weeks.

A discussion afterwards and shipping delays mean most of the new and exciting stuff will arrive in January/February. Shipping costs are increasing at alarming rates and a lot of the entry level whisky is slowly being priced out of the reach of new consumers. Surprisingly Diageo with their global market reach are keeping their shipping costs static. In the last year I have seen $70-80 bottles hitting the $100-110 mark which makes my selection choice more difficult. I buy blends occasionally and they are typically in the $40-60 range.

So on the 7th I have an Arran tasting followed a week later by Elixir Distillers with their Single Malts of Scotland range. The bloke who runs the tastings is also the importer for Arran and apparently has three container loads in stock. I am looking forward to the Sauternes cask finish (50%) as I recently opened the newish Glenmorangie Sauternes finish which did not have the same feel about it compared to the previous 12yo version. I'll give it time as the 12yo is one of my favourite drams. Meanwhile that Deanston 12yo is running on vapours as it edges ever closer to empty.

Dragging the subj painfully back...I have been impressed by Johnnie Walker Red and (again) Shackleton's - Like Glen Moray, it's a bit different, not overly sweet & not expensive

Dragging the subj painfully back...I have been impressed by Johnnie Walker Red and (again) Shackleton's - Like Glen Moray, it's a bit different, not overly sweet & not expensive
JW Red is a steal at the moment. £17 for a 1l bottle (in England).
I think that the JW has a hefty bit of Talisker in the blend.

Boo hiss away with your English prices " Sensible people them south of the border"

Coo! that's quite a steal!
I'd not disagree about the island influence. It was a welcome surprise kick-in-the-pants!
(I've posted before about JW's influence/creation of the whisky 'industry. Is interesting)

fullsizerender-2-1.jpg

Back in Morrisons after a few weeks of absense up to £15 from £14 but still well worth a punt

bunob.non10.jpg

On offer in Morrisons yesterday £25 only one bottle left in my local store so had to take it home

How very noble of you as it must have been feeling very lonely.
Aye I know, I'm all heart when I see a lonely whisky sitting on the shelf I just have to give it a home . A whisky is not just for Christmas you know

Latest Threads