Whisky - elixir of life

If you're ever in Kent gies a shout...a friends husband has been bitten and is distilling his own - may have mentioned it - at a barbie he got some out, I dropped some of the Lagavulin in and it turned it into a reasonable enough drink - a little harsh but hot off the still so expected.
Trouble is he would need wooden barrels to age it other wise it is just raw spirit or feek as we call it up here

I did the “flight of 6” (was five, but grew one) just for fun. Made the six, then spinning it became hard work.
As you chaps on here know, I am an indiscriminate whisky drinker, so Bushmills and all sorts crept in. I enjoy having a few single malts then a blend; you can see the similarities.
'S'true! De Oirish whiskey is good stuff . And apparently Whyte & MAckay has a belt of Caol Isla. It'd be my pick of the blends, given free rein.
(as long as that free rein excluded the COSHH locker, obviously).

I'll keep that in mind but 600 odd miles is a bit to far . Having said that spent 3 years at JLRE at dover and a few months in Chatham on courses enjoy your whisky mate
I lived in Chatham/Gillingham for 6 months, shared a hoose with a USN diver who was at DEODS - rough as feck it was...

Our UK office is closing, EMEA HQ relocated to Brno and I've been toying with the idea of moving North but don't know if I can be arsed really.

I lived in Chatham/Gillingham for 6 months, shared a hoose with a USN diver who was at DEODS - rough as feck it was...

Our UK office is closing, EMEA HQ relocated to Brno and I've been toying with the idea of moving North but don't know if I can be arsed really.

Nah, Minimum pricing on drink unless you fancy doing a bootlegger run plus you need more whisky to combat the weather for the next six months :D

Trouble is he would need wooden barrels to age it other wise it is just raw spirit or feek as we call it up here
Yeah - that's what a lot of the conversation was about - I said that unless he can source some decent barrels he's fecked - people used to use oak chips and whatever with sid in KSA but it isn't the same

This is a whole new game for me that I really only got into this year I think. I like the ones I’ve had so far and have some favourites I keep going back to. A year back whisky was just whisky but I’m learning what I like. So far it’s the Speysiders mostly for me.

I’m tending to have a few on the go at the same time, so I’m asking typically how long do they last. Mrs Gouty joins me in enjoying them but has been off it for a month or so as she s taking meds (broken ankle). The ones I have now on the go are a kilkerran, Ardmore and Craigellachie. All about two months old or so. I really like all three do we need to get blasted or are they ok for a bit.

'S'true! De Oirish whiskey is good stuff . And apparently Whyte & MAckay has a belt of Caol Isla. It'd be my pick of the blends, given free rein.
(as long as that free rein excluded the COSHH locker, obviously).
A lot of very good Irish stuff about at the moment - se red Breast PX sold out pdq in Master of Malt. Caol Ila in all sorts, it main use I believe.

Nah, Minimum pricing on drink unless you fancy doing a bootlegger run plus you need more whisky to combat the weather for the next six months :D
Weather the biggest consideration, had forgotten about the Krankie laws mind.

This is a whole new game for me that I really only got into this year I think. I like the ones I’ve had so far and have some favourites I keep going back to. A year back whisky was just whisky but I’m learning what I like. So far it’s the Speysiders mostly for me.

I’m tending to have a few on the go at the same time, so I’m asking typically how long do they last. Mrs Gouty joins me in enjoying them but has been off it for a month or so as she s taking meds (broken ankle). The ones I have now on the go are a kilkerran, Ardmore and Craigellachie. All about two months old or so. I really like all three do we need to get blasted or are they ok for a bit.

They will be ok for a while but will change over time so sip away lad and lass

They'll be fine over a year plus. Flavour might change a bit but not to an extent that you'd not drink it. Improve in some cases.

Weather the biggest consideration, had forgotten about the Krankie laws mind.

The supermarkets tend to do offers on malts here on a circular system . You just have to see what's on . But then it tends to be the same ones on a rota my personal favorite for a Speysider is Linkwood but it is never on offer

Most liquids, once exposed to the air, deteriorate. Sprits are better shielded than most; nevertheless consume within a year (Unless kept well). You might want to dare to keep some whisky for a long time, and update us accordingly.
In the meantime, drink and enjoy. Whisky was meant to be shared and enjoyed. The whiskies you describe are good, and will certainly keep until Mrs G is on her feet again.

The supermarkets tend to do offers on malts here on a circular system . You just have to see what's on . But then it tends to be the same ones on a rota my personal favorite for a Speysider is Linkwood but it is never on offer
Have a G&M Linkwood 15 and have just been looking at some of the James Eadie releases this week which have one but have already said, no further purchases for me this year. 1st of Jan though ;-)

Most liquids, once exposed to the air, deteriorate. Sprits are better shielded than most; nevertheless consume within a year (Unless kept well). You might want to dare to keep some whisky for a long time, and update us accordingly.
In the meantime, drink and enjoy. Whisky was meant to be shared and enjoyed. The whiskies you describe are good, and will certainly keep until Mrs G is on her feet again.
Yup - Ralphy and others use this kind of thing Private Preserve but on a personal basis think if you need that you're doing something wrong. :D

Each to their own though.

DSJ

LE
I have just pre-ordered two bottles of the first release malt whisky from the Clydeside Distillery.

I suspect it'll be one to drink & one to keep but looking forward to trying it very much.

Last edited:
I have just pre-ordered two bottles of the first release malt whisky from the Clydeside Distillery.

I suspect it'll be one to drink & one to keep but looking forward to trying it very much.

I have the weakest will. Official. :drunken: x 2 for me anaw

They're delivering already BTW @DSJ - don't think they'll be showstoppers otherwise they'd be rocking horse shit already but a big fan of having more choice. Keeps everyone ontheir toes.

Latest Threads