Whisky - elixir of life

Current slurpage. The Smoky Black Grouse is very, very nice indeed... and £14 (Club Card) for 70cl isn't too bad for Tesco, though not as good as the £17 they were punting a litre of Johnnie out for a few days ago... pretty much the same as World of Whiskies are in T5. The Clubman got drained last night to help me sleep. Niiiiice.

20210720_175755.jpg

So Friday night started a bit rough. Tough day at work followed buy a gallon of Strongbow and a jerk chicken that would blow the balls off a polar bear.

Now whisky time. Starting with the Kilkerran 12 which I find a bit too Smokey after a couple and undoubtedly finished up with the Aultmore of the foggie moss. I have to say (really who cares) that the Aultmore is swiftly becoming the go to dram. Please give it a go if you haven’t it’s awesome. Happy imbibing arrserati.
099BA664-8ADF-44D0-B94C-C996E5EF3CBB.jpeg
89CB183E-6757-4AA9-A7DD-2861AEFF70B5.jpeg

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
I finished a bottle of the Aultmore 12yo recently. Bottled at 46% it went down pretty damn quick and I put it away before it was finished.. Then with a couple of drams left I finally succumbed and finished it off. Mooorish! I have an excuse for not throwing the bottle away. I'll keep the cork for when I get another bottle and in case I "cork" the bottle.

Cork Lives Matter.

Last edited:

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Most interesting about the Talisker, ta.
I rate the Glendronach, mind. Underrated iMHO
I agree about GlenDronach. I usually try and grab a bottle of the 12yo when they are on special. I have an older bottling of the 15yo before they withdrew it for a couple of years and the newer version was not rated as highly. So that will be hidden away for a tasting session. Meanwhile a week later and the port version is still available.

I still think that Tamdhu is the emerging sherry monster starting to come out from the shadows like GlenDronach did. There is talk that the GlenDronach may be chill filtered from now on so will wait and see if that is the case with the 12yo.

Nearly finished an already opened Glenlivet 15yo which I found at the back of the cupboard. I checked the code and it is a 2009 bottling so I probably bought it duty free. As it has been opened a few years it feels a little flat overall. A grapey/winey taste with a little spice and apple on the palette and nose. Maybe that is the cognac influence from the Limousin oak.

Meanwhile being the tight arrse that I am and looking for a bargain, one of the local importers have the independent bottler Claxtons available. Mostly single cask and 50% ABV. Different ages and priced a little more than standard bottlings, I think they will be a good way to enhance my whisky journey.

Bad Smell

Old-Salt

Ileach Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky is a 58% strength dram, which carries no age statement but must be above the minimum age requirement to be called a whisky.

No more details as my bloody browser won't connect with the pages that tell me more stuff.

If you like peaty strong whisky, then you might like the Ileach stuff.
I think there is also an Ileach at 40%. Probably reflected in the price.

The Lagavulin 8yo is my favourite Islay at the moment. I am keeping the remaining couple of inches in the bottle for a peated whisky session I am hosting next Friday, as long as bloody covid does not postpone it for the third time. Will finish the night with an unopened Ardbeg 10yo.

I'd hardly describe myself as a collector, but I do accrue whiskies - my 'war chest' for the inevitable collapse of society, alien invasion, WW3 or the unlikely event of England winning anything. Most acquisitions get swilled however. Having just returned from the weekly Tesco hit with 70cl of Black Label (Club Card) - which is good value indeed at £20, I thought I'd have a little audit, as I'd forgotten what was under the sink. I do like a bit of Johnnie, who is my favourite brown, sloshy friend, and there's a bottle of Blue somewhere... most likely boxed up in the loft. And I've yet to try the Green and Gold labels, which will be added to the hoard at some point no doubt. Single malt drinkers may scoff, but as blends go, Johnnie is as good as any other in my humble opinion. Anyhow...

20210724_144711.jpg

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
I'd hardly describe myself as a collector, but I do accrue whiskies - my 'war chest' for the inevitable collapse of society, alien invasion, WW3 or the unlikely event of England winning anything. Most acquisitions get swilled however. Having just returned from the weekly Tesco hit with 70cl of Black Label (Club Card) - which is good value indeed at £20, I thought I'd have a little audit, as I'd forgotten what was under the sink. I do like a bit of Johnnie, who is my favourite brown, sloshy friend, and there's a bottle of Blue somewhere... most likely boxed up in the loft. And I've yet to try the Green and Gold labels, which will be added to the hoard at some point no doubt. Single malt drinkers may scoff, but as blends go, Johnnie is as good as any other in my humble opinion. Anyhow...

View attachment 591243
I'm a fan of the JW 15yo Green Label. An enjoyable robust blend of four separate Diagio malts.

Is the bottle on the right the JW one which they recommend putting in the freezer? Be interested to know your thoughts.

Is the bottle on the right the JW one which they recommend putting in the freezer? Be interested to know your thoughts.
White Walker. A limited edition run. Not tried it. Reluctant to open it in case the slanty-eyed foreigners go bananas and whack the price up. One lives in hope.

White Walker. A limited edition run. Not tried it. Reluctant to open it in case the slanty-eyed foreigners go bananas and whack the price up. One lives in hope.
Strikes me as a marketing gimmick with little to back it, and will probably disappear gently. Apart from actual taste (?), 'Game of Thrones' was largely a Northern Irish film production and they should label it 'Whiskey' if there's to be any relevance. The JW brand probably ensures a decent nip, though.

Otherwise, I object to the presence of the foul 'Club' bottle there, and anywhere else; it's not fit for drinking. (My comments on the subject are purely subjective, but wholly true.)

Strikes me as a marketing gimmick with little to back it, and will probably disappear gently. Apart from actual taste (?), 'Game of Thrones' was largely a Northern Irish film production and they should label it 'Whiskey' if there's to be any relevance. The JW brand probably ensures a decent nip, though.

Otherwise, I object to the presence of the foul 'Club' bottle there, and anywhere else; it's not fit for drinking. (My comments on the subject are purely subjective, but wholly true.)
Agree with the comments about club absolute crap

Apparently the Aussies make whisky. It’s pretty nice. Maybe a bit sweet for some but I’m sure that will suit others.

austr_sta10.jpg

This Brexit/Protocol thing is leading me to Rebellion; I shall march on Westminster shortly.

On the other hand, I shan't go anywhere near the blasted place; London's now a foreign country to me, but I shall be sending a very stiff letter to the bastards. Researching my next few bottles of elixir has been blighted by vendors (Amazon, chiefly) who refuse to send their product to these green fields. I fancied a bottle of Tomatin - no chance. A good Lagavulin - forget it.
I'd found my little hip flask on the boat, with a few nips of truly lovely whisky in it, but have entirely forgotten what it was (it was a present); I put it there last year for that just-in-case moment. I've had to settle for Glen Moray, which wasn't really at the top of the list. Never mind, eh. Bastards. Bastards.

This Brexit/Protocol thing is leading me to Rebellion; I shall march on Westminster shortly.

On the other hand, I shan't go anywhere near the blasted place; London's now a foreign country to me, but I shall be sending a very stiff letter to the bastards. Researching my next few bottles of elixir has been blighted by vendors (Amazon, chiefly) who refuse to send their product to these green fields. I fancied a bottle of Tomatin - no chance. A good Lagavulin - forget it.
I'd found my little hip flask on the boat, with a few nips of truly lovely whisky in it, but have entirely forgotten what it was (it was a present); I put it there last year for that just-in-case moment. I've had to settle for Glen Moray, which wasn't really at the top of the list. Never mind, eh. Bastards. Bastards.

Where are you? Can someone not send it?

Where are you? Can someone not send it?
I'm in a cold, dark cell in a farmhouse in the rainswept green fields of an island in the Atlantic. I can only see lights in the far distance of County Down through this tiny hole in the wall. I believe I was kidnapped by a local woman many years ago and forced to provide for her and her offspring, who is now bigger and stronger than me and forces me to provide diesel for his boat, which he uses to fish for the mackerel on which I live. Otherwise, I subsist on home-brewed IPA and a hideous locally-produced 'whiskey', which weakens me by the day. They have no pity. I beg you for help.

I'm in a cold, dark cell in a farmhouse in the rainswept green fields of an island in the Atlantic. I can only see lights in the far distance of County Down through this tiny hole in the wall. I believe I was kidnapped by a local woman many years ago and forced to provide for her and her offspring, who is now bigger and stronger than me and forces me to provide diesel for his boat, which he uses to fish for the mackerel on which I live. Otherwise, I subsist on home-brewed IPA and a hideous locally-produced 'whiskey', which weakens me by the day. They have no pity. I beg you for help.
Basingstoke then.

Latest Threads