Whisky - elixir of life

Trip to Sbury's, thinking that Penderyn might be on offer for some reason (I think I've had it before & not rated it. maybe my palate has changed though).
Instead £30, Cotswold English Whisky, 2016 Odessey Barley, later noticed 46%, non-chill filtered.
Honestly, I bought it because I've had some from them before (freebies!) & they were nice. Not £45 special or nice...

This one though - it really does develop when left to rest or diluted. The glass had been sitting for 15 mins with a dribble in the bottom (ooer) of the glass.... sweet marzipan before, now there appears to be sweet tangerine! In a good way.
Not to say it is sweetened or one dimensional; it's no Talisker, but has a boot on it if you insist on gunning the stuff.
Hope there's some left, I'll be buying a couple.
Spotted this in Tesco at £16.00 a Litre, it suits my palate so is now in my pantry.
View attachment 576798
Question for the more knowledgable, as it a Special Fathers Edition and therefore a limited edition would it be prudent to salt a litre or two away?
I have exactly the same rascal. Can't say it tastes any different. Unless your name's on the label, I see no reason to keep it.

Drinking Johnnie walker black label it was on offer a couple of weeks ago at £20 and it is very palatable a change from my normal malts

Polished off the 12yr old Singleton last night with a very good friend. Toasted the blokes he left behind down south 39 yrs ago to the day.

Drinking Johnnie walker black label it was on offer a couple of weeks ago at £20 and it is very palatable a change from my normal malts
Now a quite reasonable £20 in Tesco’s , so worth a punt. I have become a fan of the Red, but this Black label is excellent.
On my purely arbitrary blended score, I’d give Black Label JW an 85.

Another wee heads up M&S have a £5 off their malts 12 year old Speyside and Highland are £25 and their blended malt a mix of Islay, Speyside, & Highland is £20

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Now a quite reasonable £20 in Tesco’s , so worth a punt. I have become a fan of the Red, but this Black label is excellent.
On my purely arbitrary blended score, I’d give Black Label JW an 85.
I might just give that a go. I tend to stay away from Blends as opposed to Malts, but you lot seem to know what's what.

Meanwhile the Springbank 10yo which I open around the New Year has just not got the appeal to me it has to others. I am really struggling with it as it is usually highly rated.
Just cracked a 10 - as good to me as it usually is I have to say.

12 year Old Pulteney very nice going down a treat

Off to Sbury's tomorrow...any offers going? Recommendations?
(would have had some Penderyn, but it was full price....and i don't think I like it that much. Because I'm not familiar with it. Because it's always full price. I don't like full price. I need some free whisky, dammit! Where the hell are the Welsh tourist board when you need them, grizzle, grumble etc)

Off to Sbury's tomorrow...any offers going? Recommendations?
(would have had some Penderyn, but it was full price....and i don't think I like it that much. Because I'm not familiar with it. Because it's always full price. I don't like full price. I need some free whisky, dammit! Where the hell are the Welsh tourist board when you need them, grizzle, grumble etc)

1623969760000.jpeg

I recommend this. @£20

I don't. But then, I'm drinking Red Label with milk, in the Jamaican fashion. G'night....
Went into Lidl to buy some black beans and pinto beans as I saw them advertised as part of their Caribbean week - none in stock but they do have a 7 year old Cuban rum - not a rum person but I bought it - it's OK...will benefit from limes and ice I reckon.

For some poxy strange reason, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda have removed dried pinto beans and dried black beans from stock...feckers.