Whisky - elixir of life

I'll happily bow to those who have a different experience but I talked to Iain Henderson at Laphroaig in 1996 about how long a bottle can be open before it starts to lose its flavour and he said 6 months.
My reason for asking was my sister had a bottle of Lagavulin which was pure raw spirit with no other flavour. She had been given it 20 years previously, not liked I so just left it on the shelf.
I poured my glass down the sink.

I am no expert on Whisky ... my son bought it primarily because of the link to Shackleton ... I find it not as smooth as say Glenfiddich ... normally I drink what is the best value supermarket blended Whisky ... currently Grants . Nice to have something different for special occasions and tell the tale .
Try Lidl. They do single malt whisky for £17.49. Ben Bracken in Speyside, Highland and Isla.
They also do Abrachan which is a blend of 3 single malts for the same price. All highly recommended.

Try Lidl. They do single malt whisky for £17.49. Ben Bracken in Speyside, Highland and Isla.
They also do Abrachan which is a blend of 3 single malts for the same price. All highly recommended.
The Ben Brackens are excellent for the price.

I'll happily bow to those who have a different experience but I talked to Iain Henderson at Laphroaig in 1996 about how long a bottle can be open before it starts to lose its flavour and he said 6 months.
My reason for asking was my sister had a bottle of Lagavulin which was pure raw spirit with no other flavour. She had been given it 20 years previously, not liked I so just left it on the shelf.
I poured my glass down the sink.
I've certainly had whiskies which deteriorate in flavour and aroma after a while; probably a year after opening. Mildly disappointing, but I do remember one which had been stupidly left in full sunlight for a few months and lost pretty well everything.

I've certainly had whiskies which deteriorate in flavour and aroma after a while; probably a year after opening. Mildly disappointing, but I do remember one which had been stupidly left in full sunlight for a few months and lost pretty well everything.
It's not a risk worth taking. Few of my bottle's are open for longer than a week.
I will be biking to Lidl in Cowely to restock tomorrow.

UV light will degrade most things it hits including whisky, plastics and skin.

A lot of the Americans complain when beer imported from the UK is bottled in colourless glass as it tastes a bit funky due to long shipping times - the UV light causes some rather complicated reactions in the beer. Brown glass reduces the effects a lot apparently.

I claimed a bottle of glenmorangie after my grandfather died. Tasted identical to a brand new bottle.

Mind you, I don’t take the risk with my bottles. I keep telling the mrs how the angel’s share keeps going once it’s bottled and that’s why they go down so quick.

UV light will degrade most things it hits including whisky, plastics and skin.

A lot of the Americans complain when beer imported from the UK is bottled in colourless glass as it tastes a bit funky due to long shipping times - the UV light causes some rather complicated reactions in the beer. Brown glass reduces the effects a lot apparently.
Anyone who has served in Cyprus knows the effects. Carlsberg and Keo bottled their beers in both green and brown (I think I remember), but the sensible drinker only took from the brown. Elsewhere South of the Tropic, the effects of a container-load boiling in the sun for a few weeks could seriously derange a product.

Anyone who has served in Cyprus knows the effects. Carlsberg and Keo bottled their beers in both green and brown (I think I remember), but the sensible drinker only took from the brown. Elsewhere South of the Tropic, the effects of a container-load boiling in the sun for a few weeks could seriously derange a product.
Hence IPAs.

The sensible drinker in Cyprus also avoided Keo!

Well I looked at tomorrows forecast. Thunder and rain.
So I've just back from Lidl.
6 bottles of Abrachan, 4 of Isla Ben Bracken, 6 bratwurst and a dozen eggs.
Well that's me sorted for Brexit.

The sensible drinker in Cyprus also avoided Keo!
I remember from Cyprus holidays that Keo in cans was alright. Certainly better than Fosters back in the UK.

Well I looked at tomorrows forecast. Thunder and rain.
So I've just back from Lidl.
6 bottles of Abrachan, 4 of Isla Ben Bracken, 6 bratwurst and a dozen eggs.
Well that's me sorted for Brexit.
A healthy breakfast there. Don't use lard in the pan, though.

I remember from Cyprus holidays that Keo in cans was alright. Certainly better than Fosters back in the UK.
That’s like comparing syphilis to gonorrhoea

Brandy spurs and gin and tonic were my tipple in Cyprus. The duty free whisky was brought back whenever I had a flight.

For some reason a whisky hangover is different (and worse) to every other and so never drank it in Cyprus or I’d wake up to a brain with the thinking power of cotton wool and a headache that’d kill a rock ape

I like my whisky how I like my women.

About 20 years old and topped up with coke.

I like my whisky how I like my women.

About 20 years old and topped up with coke.
I don't care what you do with your women but putting anything else but a very small amount of water in your whisky is an abomination in the eyes of the Goddess.
I no longer make Whisky Macks, I drink the Green ginger wine neat (the same as I did when I was ten and the special Christmas cordial made me feel really good).

I'd only do coke with American crap like JD.

For Johnny Walker and Talisker I have with water, Churchill used to have quite a lot of water with his whisky. I used the cheap blended stuff with tea and a touch of honey, it goes well with the smokey tea like Russian caravan.

philc

LE
Just popped in to Scapa the other day, not a huge selection on sale and no tour, unless prebookec. Still brought a bottle for home. On the way up also picked up a Blair Athol in Pitlochry which tasted like nectar.

Avoid this at all costs though, nothing to it what’s so ever. £18 quid wasted.

From some of the stuff I've read on this site, do any such persons exist in HM Forces?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tazmanian_clogdancer Finance, Property, Law 23
Bouillabaisse Cookery 37
Fang_Farrier Economics 3

Latest Threads