Whisky - elixir of life

Teeblerone

War Hero
After my dalliance with blending whisky .Today I bought a bottle of Woodsman blended whisky £18 from Morrisons . First impressions a wee bit hot with a hint of smoke on the aftertaste. l looked it up on the net and it is going for around the £30-32 mark . I will have to have another couple tomorrow night just to get the taste for it but at the moment easy drinkable but not got a wow factor which would make me buy it again .
Any update? A new whisky is worth a go at £18 (though less is better, obviously!).. it'd be a rare blend that I'd go £32 for.
Ta & cheers!

Any update? A new whisky is worth a go at £18 (though less is better, obviously!).. it'd be a rare blend that I'd go £32 for.
Ta & cheers!

Aye it was ok for that price , I read the blurb after I bought it and it says good for cocktails and mixers so for me as I only take a suppy water not to my taste.

Aye it was ok for that price , I read the blurb after I bought it and it says good for cocktails and mixers so for me as I only take a suppy water not to my taste.
When you are getting Crabbies Yardhead at £16 and other malts on offer at around £20 I would buy them rather than the woodsman

Teeblerone

War Hero
Top man, thank you.
I've seen that a bit recently.. 'great for cocktails or with cola'. Makes me avoid them , mostly. Though Haig Clubman is worth a sample (I'm not saying buy a bottle!). Interesting to know what's out there.
Would like to think I'm not too much of a snob - currently sipping a LowFlyer, would've been Whyte & MacKay if it'd been on the shelf - buuuut...Crabbie's Yardhead . people here have rated it, I reviled it to my mate who is usually the one to say 'urgh caramel, filtered pish'.
I'd give Yardhead another go - but only at about £12! :)

Top man, thank you.
I've seen that a bit recently.. 'great for cocktails or with cola'. Makes me avoid them , mostly. Though Haig Clubman is worth a sample (I'm not saying buy a bottle!). Interesting to know what's out there.
Would like to think I'm not too much of a snob - currently sipping a LowFlyer, would've been Whyte & MacKay if it'd been on the shelf - buuuut...Crabbie's Yardhead . people here have rated it, I reviled it to my mate who is usually the one to say 'urgh caramel, filtered pish'.
I'd give Yardhead another go - but only at about £12! :)

Aye this is it. It's down to personal taste. I bought a bottle of Ardmore today at £20 which I have had before and to my taste it's fine . I am open to new tastes and will give them a go but prefer malt over a blend

Teeblerone

War Hero
When you are getting Crabbies Yardhead at £16 and other malts on offer at around £20 I would buy them rather than the woodsman
Good point & interesting crossing-posts.
I bought Yardhead before the bottle changed to the one with the fingerhole, bcause a) great green ginger wine b) £16.
Apparently, I was nonplussed enough to send a sample & snotty email to my mate, giving it a right shoeing; I'd not usually be too bothered.
Sooooooo....I'd really like to try it again! argh!!

Good point & interesting crossing-posts.
I bought Yardhead before the bottle changed to the one with the fingerhole, bcause a) great green ginger wine b) £16.
Apparently, I was nonplussed enough to send a sample & snotty email to my mate, giving it a right shoeing; I'd not usually be too bothered.
Sooooooo....I'd really like to try it again! argh!!
It's fine what to do is have a dearer whisky like a 12 -15 year to start with to get you taste buds going then go down market to the cheaper stuff ;)

TamH70

MIA
Crabbies Yardhead is still my go-to for a cheap but far from nasty single malt whisky. I would buy another one but I have still got more than half a bottle of my Svensk Ek left.

Crabbies Yardhead is still my go-to for a cheap but far from nasty single malt whisky. I would buy another one but I have still got more than half a bottle of my Svensk Ek left.
Aye a lot of the cheaper malts are pretty good as I have said before
Morrisons distillers choice at £14 is a good dram I put it into a rather more expensive malt empty bottle gave it to three friends after an pouring them a 12 year old highland park and all of them said that's a highland malt

TamH70

MIA
Morrisons distillers choice at £14 is a good dram I put it into a rather more expensive malt empty bottle gave it to three friends after an pouring them a 12 year old highland park and all of them said that's a highland malt

Would they still be your three friends if they found out that it was Distiller's Choice from Morrisons?

Teeblerone

War Hero
I have recently been informed of the 'in-finitey bottle' whereby a gash bottle gets redeemed by a dram or 2 of decent stuff. Worth a try for 'daily consumption' drams?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Would they still be your three friends if they found out that it was Distiller's Choice from Morrisons?

Used to have an Australian friend who brought a bottle of Lidl's not even finest to the house when he had been enjoying a range of rather good malts over the years.
Can't say I miss him

Aye I told them after the tasting then back on to better stuff

I have recently been informed of the 'in-finitey bottle' whereby a gash bottle gets redeemed by a dram or 2 of decent stuff. Worth a try for 'daily consumption' drams?
I tried that with A bottle of Loch Lomond malt a good few years ago and it did not work ended up using it for Toddies

This stuff is consistent, unpretentious, mixes well with colas and fruit juices and is on the 'rummy' side of whisky, so personally palatable. It will not win any gold medals but does the job.

150px-Mekhong_bottle.jpg

TamH70

MIA
A new video from Big Clive. Redistilling supermarket whisky of the cheaper variety:

Not sure of the point apart from maybe getting rid of some more impurities or whatever. But as he says, it's a fun experiment.

A new video from Big Clive. Redistilling supermarket whisky of the cheaper variety:

Not sure of the point apart from maybe getting rid of some more impurities or whatever. But as he says, it's a fun experiment.
Interesting that the redistilled spirit tasted more like whisky .

Latest Threads