Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Whisky - elixir of life

This lovely lady has proven for me - not that I need much persuading - that whisky is indeed the water of life. Moderation appears to be the key, although I have my doubts, and shall continue to test the theory. 120 here I come.
14751430-7138373-image-a-20_1560443896333.jpg

Remember: a teardrop of water in any glass.

This lovely lady has proven for me - not that I need much persuading - that whisky is indeed the water of life. Moderation appears to be the key, although I have my doubts, and shall continue to test the theory. 120 here I come.
View attachment 398536

Remember: a teardrop of water in any glass.

A teardrop in a glass of whisky that is OVER 40% abv.
Got taught that by a very nice old lady in Bladnoch distillery.

I learned more about whisky in 15 minutes with her than in the past 30 years.

I am a complete novice to whisky drinking so here's a question - which is the best kind of malt whisky? I've tried blended but to be honest given a chance between blended whisky and bourbon, bourbon would win any time.

I am a complete novice to whisky drinking so here's a question - which is the best kind of malt whisky? I've tried blended but to be honest given a chance between blended whisky and bourbon, bourbon would win any time.

I don't think there is a best kind of malt but one that most appeals to your palate. You'll need to try a few before you know what you like. I quite like a Speyside malts. The world's two best selling single malt whiskies, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, are Speyside whiskies. My particular favourite is Cardhu.

I'm not keen on peaty whiskies. I was given a bottle of Ardbeg, an Islay single malt, as a gift and after having sampled half a glass the bottle's contents ended up going down the sink.

Scotch Whisky - Master of Malt

ETA
I have this bottle of 30 year old Glenmorangie Malaga Cask Single Malt Whiskey, one of a limited edition of 2597 bottles. It originally cost £256 and is currently valued at £1,895.

Glenmorangie Rare Aged Malaga Cask Finish 30 Year Old Whisky

I also have a 13 year old Glenmorangie Manager's Choice which originally cost £151 and is currently valued at £750

Glenmorangie 1987 - Port Wood Finish - Manager's Choice Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

And finally a 25 year old Glenmorangie also currently costs around £750 and originally cost £106.

glenmorangie-25-year-old-old-style-presentation-with-wooden-box-18591-p[ekm]800x800[ekm].jpg

Last edited:
I rather like Islay whisky, Laphroig or Lagavulin but for special occasions. Nothing quite like sitting in front of a log fire, glass cupped in both hands , breathing in that heady aroma

I can only see three distilleries from my house, the aforementioned Glenmorangie (rhythms with orange), Balblair and Dornoch.

I always find Glenmorangie over rated.

As Jimmy_Green says, depends on your palate. In one place I worked, for a time I was the only Scot. I was frequently asked, "Whats the best whisky?" My answer was always the same, "Whichever one you like. Just because I like it, doesn't mean you will."

As J_G said, find the one you like. I haven't a clue how many there are, but diligent research should take quite a few years, and pounds, before arriving at your own favourite. Enjoy.

PS Any you dislike, not too keen on, I'll willingly volunteer to despatch for you. Slainte.

I can only see three distilleries from my house, the aforementioned Glenmorangie (rhythms with orange), Balblair and Dornoch.

I always find Glenmorangie over rated.

The Glenmorangies I have are not for drinking. They were bought by my father and left to me when he passed away.

I have about 1/6th of a bottle of Johnny Walker Red to finish off and a 1L bottle of Grouse to make a dent in. Neither are what I would have bought myself but as they were raffle prizes I shan't complain. I then have a 15 y.o. bottle of Cardhu to enjoy.