Whisky drinking.....

When drinking whisky what do you prefer it with?

• Spring Water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tap Water

• Ice

• Straight

• Another mixer

• Depends on the whisky being drunk at the time?

• None of the above this poll is dull....

• Total voters
As a slight aside to the well established whisky thread...............What are your preferences to accompany a nice single malt? Not interested in that blended shite!

Heathen I know, but I have a single ice cube. It just cools it slightly and adds a tiny bit of water at the same time.
If no ice, then a drop of water.

a splash of water - I went to a brilliant Whisky tasting evening a few years ago with one of the reps from Balvenie and he gave an expert spiel on how it releases and "loosens" the flavours and he is absolutely correct. Not enough to alter the flavour much at all, just enough to change the colour very slightly.

Also, in South Africa I stayed with a bloke who drank blended whiskey absolutely drowned in San Peligrino carbonated water, freezing cold. This guy took about a treble measure of whiskey in a 1/2 pint glass and topped it up to the brim with the water. It is not whiskey drinking as we know it in this country but after a boiling hot day, just as the sun is going down, it is very refreshing and quite delicious - that said I think the setting is more important than the drink since it just tastes like a pathetically weak whisky when I try it at home.

Two ice cubes in Malt or Tullymore Dew,
Mixer depending on the brand,Grants Ale cask is a dash of Ginger Ale,cheapo brand is often cola to take away the harshness.

In Malt (Glenkinchie or highland park being my favourites)- nothing, tho it has to be savoured from a nice crystal glass.

Blended - dash of dry ginger or, especially on a cold day, a good dash of Crabbies Green Ginger. No finer filling for a hip flask. And yes, some ladies DO have a hip flask. :D

There is only one correct way to drink whisky.

The way you enjoy it.

msr

mwl946 said:
In Malt (Glenkinchie or highland park being my favourites)- nothing, tho it has to be savoured from a nice crystal glass.

Blended - dash of dry ginger or, especially on a cold day, a good dash of Crabbies Green Ginger. No finer filling for a hip flask. And yes, some ladies DO have a hip flask. :D
Yes like them hevy and peaty to. Jura is another good one.

Haven't had it with crabbies in ages - Cant think what its called as a drink though

easesprings said:
mwl946 said:

Haven't had it with crabbies in ages - Cant think what its called as a drink though
A "whisky mac"

reminded me too of a splash of Drambuie "a rusty nail" mmmmmmmmm

Mr_Baiter said:
a splash of water - I went to a brilliant Whisky tasting evening a few years ago with one of the reps from Balvenie and he gave an expert spiel on how it releases and "loosens" the flavours and he is absolutely correct.
What the water will do to the flavour depends on the whisky.

I agree with msr, drink it how you like it (unless it's JD in which case you should smash the glash and try to slit your wrists with it due to the shame.)

mwl946 said:
easesprings said:
mwl946 said:

A "whisky mac"
Dohh age and drink has muddled me mind
reminded me too of a splash of Drambuie "a rusty nail" mmmmmmmmm

Trick said:
Mr_Baiter said:
a splash of water - I went to a brilliant Whisky tasting evening a few years ago with one of the reps from Balvenie and he gave an expert spiel on how it releases and "loosens" the flavours and he is absolutely correct.
What the water will do to the flavour depends on the whisky.

I agree with msr, drink it how you like it (unless it's JD in which case you should [/u]smash the glash and try to slit your wrists with it due to the shame.)

Had a few already???? :D

I can back a previous post with regards to putting an ice cube in the whisky, I had a friend who was involved in the labs within the distillery in Dundee who told me that an ice cube really does enhance the flavours in your dram, anything else is wasting the whisky.

My personal favourate is Glenlivet, a belting single malt. However if you are feeling really flush, there's a whisky called " Lord Of The Isles at a £1000 a shot.!!!

Speysides with a little ice or splash of water depending on temperature (hot/cold day).

Peaty Malts either straight or a splash of water, to taste.

Blended, Bourbon, Whiskey, and others, anyway it comes or I fancy, with/without ice, cola, ginger ale, etc

If you've been properly selective in your choice of single malt, why would you need to add anything to it?

Contrariwise, if you are going to add to it, then any old whisky will do. Except that 'boorbon' stuff. That's just silly.

I like to add a single ice cube to my malts as not only does it chill the whisky, but as the cube melts and slowly dilutes the drink, the flavour changes.

sandybag said:
I can back a previous post with regards to putting an ice cube in the whisky, I had a friend who was involved in the labs within the distillery in Dundee who told me that an ice cube really does enhance the flavours in your dram, anything else is wasting the whisky.
May have to try that tonight for research purposes of course