Whickers War

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by growler, Jun 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last in series last night. I think that it was a repeat but missed 1st showing. He does seem to have been able to make himself very comfortable wherever he found himself. I accept that any idiot can be uncomfortable but couldn't help thinking about the PBI living in foxholes across the bay whilst at Anzio beachhead. Requisitioning villas at the drop of a hat.
    Plenty of crumpet and wine too, I’ll be bound! Anybody know about his service record/decorations if any etc?
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Seem to recall something about his being a VERY young Officer leading an Army newsreel team.

You can imagine it - "Hello, miss, would you like to be in the Movies after the War? Come back to my villa......

Bloody good Drills :D

3. Old school. Epitomy of being British (even though he was born in the smelliest country in the world, Egypt not Scotland).
  4. I got the impression that Whicker didn't think much of Gen. Mark Clark and his conduct of the Italian campaign.
  5. He did his bit no more no less. He makes no bones that the military would not have been the career for him but for the deluded plans of a certain Austrian corporal. I thought that the show made fine viewing.
  6. Excellent presenter and interviewer. I always enjoy those re-runs of Whicker's World. The one where he rode shotgun with the SFPD was particularly good. Is it me or did he stop ageing about 30 years ago?
  7. Alan Wicker, his reports had an influence on me when I was a young lad. Always seemed well presented, never knew about his military service.
    Quite surpised to hear he's still alive.