Which?

Hello,

right, I am aware of various bias issues that will arise here but it’s worth a shot.

Is it better to join the marines or the army at officer level? Now before you all bight my head off, here are the issues;
The Royal marines seem to have a higher standard of fitness and training (I’m ready for the backlash, and yes I could be grossly misinformed)
There is a more compelling culture that goes with them,
(They get daggers, green hats and are called commandos! LOL )

the Army is more accessible,
more activity,
more people.

The main issue I’ve got is the type of work they do, you see, I don’t like the sea that much (I’ll get in it and swim, if I have to), and that could be an issue with the booties. Also am I correct in thinking that the army do more UK humanitarian stuff?
Also, and please don think of me as a Walt, are the Royals exempt from joining the Special Air Service, as the Special Boat Service isn’t as appealing.
With regards to that last point, it is only a prospects thing, I am under no illusions regarding the Special Forces, I am only looking at my horizons.
Help appreciated
J
(And I have done much research on all above topics, having thrashed my way through all of the recruiting propaganda)

-Edited due to being pointed out as being a plonker.-

GENT said:
Hello,

right, I am aware of various bias issues that will arise here but it’s worth a shot.

Is it better to join the marines of the army at officer level? Now before you all bight my head off, here are the issues;
The Royal marines seem to have a higher standard of fitness and training (I’m ready for the backlash, and yes I could be grossly misinformed)

more activity,
more people.

The main issue I’ve got is the type of work they do, you see, I don’t like the sea that much (I’ll get in it and swim, if I have to), and that could be an issue with the booties. Also am I correct in thinking that the army do more UK humanitarian stuff?
Also, and please don think of me as a Walt, are the Royals exempt from joining the Special Air Service, as the Special Boat Service isn’t as appealing.
With regards to that last point, it is only a prospects thing, I am under no illusions regarding the Special Forces, I am only looking at my horizons.
Help appreciated
J
(And I have done much research on all above topics, having thrashed my way through all of the recruiting propaganda)
There's your 1st mistake. The Marines are part of the Navy.

Also, no-one is exempt from selection when trying to join "THEM"

I know that. Thats why I stated that i am aware of Bias. I intend yo place a similar post on "Rum Nation".

??? Bradders, I dont follow, I cam on here genuinely asking for information that I could not fin the information to, is that a No, Royal Marines cannot apply to the SAS, or an Yes they can?

5205Bradders said:
Smudge, he meant to put marines or army at officer level, lol...
Thankyou Bradders
Its amasing what a typo can poo isnt it? :?

GENT said:
??? Bradders, I dont follow, I cam on here genuinely asking for information that I could not fin the information to, is that a No, Royal Marines cannot apply to the SAS, or an Yes they can?
Yes they can.

Thanks,
and I guessed as mutch after i thought about it, lol, sorry about that.

The info that i could find on THEM was all rather vague, talking of the forces in general, not specificaly mentioning Royals, thats where my confusion arose.

WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:
I'd Join the Marienes if i were you, the standard of training is far higher.
I'd imagine that is what you've heard then, as training cannot be that high if you fail to even spell your units title...

The fitness levels required are higher, without a doubt. The standard of training, however, is high regardless which service you decide to join.

In my opinion mate the botties are good and all that, but in all honestly the requirment of fitness is a little higher and they are trained to do amphibious landings etc, they do pretty much the same standard of infantry training.

young_lofty said:
I'd imagine that is what you've heard then, as training cannot be that high if you fail to even spell your units title...

The fitness levels required are higher, without a doubt. The standard of training, however, is high regardless which service you decide to join.
Higher than The Parachute Regiment?

The Royal Marines are fit, highly motivated and well trained individuals; but the same can be said about most units in the Combat Arm.

In reality it is down to nothing more than personal choice and opinion.

Weegie_Ninja said:
young_lofty said:

Higher than The Parachute Regiment?

The Royal Marines are fit, highly motivated and well trained individuals; but the same can be said about most units in the Combat Arm.

In reality it is down to nothing more than personal choice and opinion.
OK, I knew after I clicked on "submit" that somebody would pick up on that! :wink: I was just trying to bring up the difference between standards of training, and standards of fitness. Quite right, the headers apply across the board- it all comes down to what you want to do with your life.

(Edited for sticking keyboard)

No offense to the original poster this doesnt mean you, getting a lot of these people lately that decide on a service for no particular reason other than to sound good to their civvie mates in the pub. i.e "Im a COMMANDO! got me a dagger" in consideration to "Im a soldier"

GENT said:
Higher standard of fitness - generally yes. Higher standard of training - not really, perhaps trained in more things, but standards are on a par.

Lid, fella, lid, not hat.

?? Not sure what you mean there.

more activity,
Overall, yes, as individuals, no. Not many operations that don't involve Royal and with such a small Corps, there's a good chance of you being there.

more people.
Which has advantages and disadvantages.

The main issue I’ve got is the type of work they do, you see, I don’t like the sea that much (I’ll get in it and swim, if I have to), and that could be an issue with the booties.
Which isn't much of an issue unless you're going ASRM or elect to go to sea. Pusser's greys are generally just a taxi service, albeit more comfortable and slower than Crabair.

Also am I correct in thinking that the army do more UK humanitarian stuff?
Yes.

No.

Latest Threads