Which way do you swing?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Giblets, Jan 16, 2007.

?
  1. Total Independence for all Regions

0.9%
  2. Independent but with Queen as head of state & shared armed forces

6.6%
  3. Independent with membership of Commonwealth only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Independent with shared Armed Forces only

0.9%
  5. Devolution to Local Assemblies/Parliament (no say in English one)

8.5%
  6. Leave it as it is now

10.4%
  7. Retain the United Kingdom as it has been for 300 years

72.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to see what ARRSE members think of the whole Union issue, so I'm going to put it to a vote.

2. Ahhhhh poo. can i unvote? (is there such a word?) i wanted the last one the 300 years. cliked the wrong button

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You missed one - Get rid of the Welsh & Scottish thingys & return to what it was.

Edited to say: Sorry is that what you mean by the last one?

4. Eeerm, no idea.

5. Leave it as it is, old soldiers went to war to defend the Union. Surely they would be turning in their graves at such an issue.

6. It's at the bottom of the list (but not mine) :thumright:

7. Leave it as it is, old soldiers went to war to defend the Union. Surely they would be turning in their graves at such an issue.

8. As it is is half the problem - a bad deal for the English.

9. Given that we punch well above our weight at the moment on the world scene I can't see any benefit to any of our constituants role in the world should we become independant. It could only serve to reduce our role and ability to determin our future (in as much any nation can do this) Theres got to be more that unites us than separates us as far as I can see. In fact having lived/worked in or been related to members of all parts I can't see the massive cultural difference that needs to push apart. Other than moaning about the English whats actually different about the average Scot's life and world view than the average Englishman's?

10. We should be independent - independent of Europe and the USA. We're the world's fourth largest economy FFS! Why are letting foreign powers dictate our foreign policy?

The Bill of Rights 1689 required the Monarch to swear "I do declare that no foreign prince, person, prelate, state or potentate hath or ought to have any jurisdiction, power, superiority, pre-eminence or authority, ecclesiastical or spiritual, within this realm. So help me God"

It wasn't explicitly in HM coronation oath but I'm sure HM is still bound by it. Perhaps Charles will stand up to parliament on behalf of the people when it's his turn?

edit: spelling

11. Having lived in Scotland, England and Wales, I would say that we are united more than we are divided. All our plumbers are now Polish, there's a Starbucks on every corner, a Kentucky Fried Gerbil on every high street and the chavs/neds are breeding at an alarming rate.

Just as long as we remember to keep disliking the French, we'll remain united in the important matters!

12. If devolution continues at this rate, and the EU keeps building, we'll be closer to the French than the Scots. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

13. I think one can forget going back to the pre-devolution situation, the genie is out of the bottle and that's it.

The real problem is England has to decide how to live with this situation. Regional assemblies were suggested some time ago and discarded. Perhaps and English parliament and a UK parliament. Perhaps the English after thinking about it will want to just be rid of all their Celtic subsidy junkies and go it alone themselves.

As I say it is an English problem and England must find it's own solution and stop bleating about every one and thing else.

Peter

14. I think one can forget going back to the pre-devolution situation, the genie is out of the bottle and that's it.

The real problem is England has to decide how to live with this situation. Regional assemblies were suggested some time ago and discarded. Perhaps and English parliament and a UK parliament. Perhaps the English after thinking about it will want to just be rid of all their Celtic subsidy junkies and go it alone themselves.

As I say it is an English problem and England must find it's own solution and stop bleating about every one and thing else.

Peter

15. I think you'll find that myth has been comprehensively debunked on the other fifteen dozen Union threads. I would have thought better of you too VM...