Which Watch?

Blogg

LE
Trainers, track suite bottoms and a garish jumper, no style, all flash, grossly over blinged watch, with the class of a east end spiv, says it all really.

Long time ago prat at work made mistake of bigging up his new Breitling Cosmonaut, an unnecessary elaboration of the Navitimer

Got very irritable when someone asked him, out of genuine curiosity, to demonstrate use of the circular slide rule

Never saw it again

wp-content.jpg

George W Bush and Clinton both sported cheap Timex watches. Same with a number of mega bods in CEO land, although tending to the Iron Man variants.

It says "I have no need to prove a thing"

At the other end of the spectrum...

When I worked for a US fund management company there where a number of European Directors and Execs who wore Swatches, the Yanks tended to flash the cash with Rolex (GMT's) and Cartier.

Don't get me wrong, the European's also had luxury watches for special occasions, but it was always Swatches for the office. They had nothing to prove.

Long time ago prat at work made mistake of bigging up his new Breitling Cosmonaut, an unnecessary elaboration of the Navitimer

Got very irritable when someone asked him, out of genuine curiosity, to demonstrate use of the circular slide rule

Never saw it again

View attachment 616382

Watches like that you can't see the hands to tell the time because of the pointless crap covering the face.

Errrrr, I might just have made the 'worn in the gulf bit up' but it is definitely 1990 RN issue, so you never know. ;)
I really wish I'd kept mine. At de-kit time they couldn't find any record of my signing for one (I'd had it years) but seeing as it was on the counter with all my other gear, off it went into the back.
A freind of mine who did his full term and was a bit of a magpie said he'd send me a spare he had in the attic.
Turns out it's a Pulsar one, which is great as they are becoming highly collectable due to their short issue span and low numbers issued. Never mind that they were £30 in Argos and not very robust, it's the story behind a watch that sometimes dictates value.

I have the same watch as Bill Gates, and Mrs DM has the same watch as the Pope.

And no, there's no such things as Illuminati, scientology or lizard people. Why do you ask?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Frostee, whatever, PLEASE tell your friend to have the lad involved in the choice, as a watch is a very personal thing. I have a couple in a drawer that were (thoughtfully) bought for me - but they're just not 'me'.

Then have a gander at this place in Lymington:

Yep, turns out son wants to pick his own out AND pay for it himself as his own treat, so now the search is on for another gift.... :(

Yep, turns out son wants to pick his own out AND pay for it himself as his own treat, so now the search is on for another gift.... :(
There we go.

Same rules apply to the next 'gift' - at that budget, let the guy chose. We all know how picky we ourselves are. Don't want to end up with a £3k paperweight (or it get's sold for £1k).

Dunno how it sits but at that age I'd be looking at saving up for a deposit on a property...

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
There we go.

Same rules apply to the next 'gift' - at that budget, let the guy chose. We all know how picky we ourselves are. Don't want to end up with a £3k paperweight (or it get's sold for £1k).

Dunno how it sits but at that age I'd be looking at saving up for a deposit on a property...

Yep, he's already saved for a deposit - he's a smart lad! The only other suggestion I could come up with is a business card holder - obviously nowhere near as expensive, but he will get use out of it, plus it's nice to have SOMETHING to open on graduation day!

Yep, he's already saved for a deposit - he's a smart lad! The only other suggestion I could come up with is a business card holder - obviously nowhere near as expensive, but he will get use out of it, plus it's nice to have SOMETHING to open on graduation day!

I hear these are popular with the younglings theses days:

Engraved hip flask perhaps?
Thats really kind of you, thanks.
Are you going to put some Rum in it before sending it to me?

No offence but buying his own watch is the correct decision. Self reward. Tastes can change over time (pun apt not intended). He can also choose to sell it later if he wants. All the material possessions in the world don't compare to opportunities, experiences and memories. It doesn't need to be fancy or exciting. A trip on a steam railway before they are forced to convert to bio-diesel perhaps.

Possibly not, as they've all gone digital now - 'what's your number?' ping, 'there you go, give me a call!'

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Possibly not, as they've all gone digital now - 'what's your number?' ping, 'there you go, give me a call!'
You would have thought, but they are still used amongst some professions! I still use them, too! We already know he was a teeny bit excited about getting his first business card, so it will be useful.

Latest Threads