Which Watch?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
A mate is looking to buy his son a decent watch for a graduation present - problem is, he can't decide on what to get.
Son is finishing post grad qualifications in Law, and given his current track record it's likely he'll be mixing with the upper echelons of society, that kind of nonsense, and obviously wants to look the part. He's already sorted with the nicely tailored suits and ties and whatnot.

The question is, what brand of dress watch? He's thinking second-hand (no pun intended) would be suitable and budget is around £2500 - £3000. Possibilities so far are Breightling, Omega, etc., but not Tag, Rolex, or Patek Philippe. Watch face should be fairly simple layout, but not sure on strap; leather or stainless steel? What colour? Something classy!

Any ideas? All suggestions welcome (as long as they're about the topic in question.....)

Cheers all :)

A mate is looking to buy his son a decent watch for a graduation present - problem is, he can't decide on what to get.
Son is finishing post grad qualifications in Law, and given his current track record it's likely he'll be mixing with the upper echelons of society, that kind of nonsense, and obviously wants to look the part. He's already sorted with the nicely tailored suits and ties and whatnot.

The question is, what brand of dress watch? He's thinking second-hand (no pun intended) would be suitable and budget is around £2500 - £3000. Possibilities so far are Breightling, Omega, etc., but not Tag, Rolex, or Patek Philippe. Watch face should be fairly simple layout, but not sure on strap; leather or stainless steel? What colour? Something classy!

Any ideas? All suggestions welcome (as long as they're about the topic in question.....)

How about this:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

It's a personal preference thing, some people hate leather because it discolours, some dislike stainless steel because it pinches the hairs.

Breightling have a good reputation, Omegas are fine.

Personally, I think anyone who pays that much for a watch needs their head read, regardless of the social circles.

Hate to say it but while some Breitblings and Omegas are quite nice, they're very 'Middle Management' in the grand scheme of things.

If you really wanted to get something interesting for that sort of money, look at Vintage stuff.

Personally, I'd arrange for a day out to Burlington Arcade (good for shoes too), give him a budget and let him get what he wants.

Usual rules apply in these sort of scenarios - money talks, wealth whispers.

Last edited:

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
Omega Seamaster, simple classy and smart.

Go with metal bracelet, as leather will wear out and is eye wateringly expensive to replace with genuine parts.

It’s a very difficult question to answer as everyone has different tastes. Budget is also a large factor.

Breitling would be out as they are too chunky for dress watches, look at IWC.

A Mont Blanc could be a good purchase especially as he could add to it with further successes.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Great ideas so far, thank you for the suggestions - much appreciated.

Chrono24 can be good for inspiration - I've something for sale on there now as it goes... (wouldn't be suitable)

How very vulgar

Something like this at a very minimum

Watch

This would be ideal

Archie

Wetneck

Old-Salt
Id say an Omega Aqua Terrra, anyone who knows watches will appreciate the movement and finish, and it doesn't have the "desk diver" feel that you'd get with a Seamaster / Submariner.
If he'd like a diver though then I'd say the Breitling Superocean 44 is by far a better watch than most the others in that price bracket.

Personally I don't think a two grand watch on a recent graduate is a good look. One the richest blokes round here (2,000 acres, stately home, old old money) has a Swatch.

Personally I don't think a two grand watch on a recent graduate is a good look. One the richest blokes round here (2,000 acres, stately home, old old money) has a Swatch.

I used to have coffee in my mates gun shop in Marlborough, RIP Pete. Some of his regulars for cartridges and clays included some of the Rothschild clan and a Lord. They used to turn up looking like they had been clothed by the Sally Army, driving around in battered to death Lannies………old money. DeSavary on the other hand used to look like he had just been dressed by a tailor, and ponced around in a shiny Range Rover…….new money.

May I also suggest that you extend your gift to a set of Mont Blanc pens. I was presented a big Meisterstuck classic fountain pen and the biro when I left the army. I only use the pen for signing things and have done so for 30 years.

The biro was replaced with a rollerball about 15 years ago when it broke.

I used to have coffee in my mates gun shop in Marlborough, RIP Pete. Some of his regulars for cartridges and clays included some of the Rothschild clan and a Lord. They used to turn up looking like they had been clothed by the Sally Army, driving around in battered to death Lannies………old money. DeSavary on the other hand used to look like he had just been dressed by a tailor, and ponced around in a shiny Range Rover…….new money.
One of the blokes I was at Sandhurst with was from old money. He lived in (pretty much) a castle in Scotland, but dressed like a tramp.

All the family's money went on heating/maintaining the place, and as it had been in the family for many generations they couldnt sell it.

Morning @FrosteeMARIA,
One of these.
Screenshot_20211117-185451_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-185451_Photos~2.jpg

True dit. My BiL moves in 'upper' social circles and if the topic turns to watches and they 'compere' them, his always gets some humerous banter thrown at him.
When he explains it was his fathers. Bought for him by his father as a Christmas present when he was a kid.
Still going strong, keeps good time with one servicing donkey's ago. He's already bequethed it to his son AND he has the original bill of sale etc,. Their banter turns to envious nods of approval and he usually ends up with the 'in' crowd.
He good company anyway and doesn't need the watch but it breaks the ice nicely.

Crafty sod doesn't show them the 'Panerai' on the other wrist:)

Eta: For mong spelling

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-185435_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117-185435_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Morning @FrosteeMARIA,
One of these.
View attachment 616234
View attachment 616236

True dit. My BiL moves in 'upper' social circles and if the topic turns to watches and they 'compere' them, his always gets some humerous banter thrown at him.
When he explains it was his fathers, bought for him by his father as a Christmas present when he was a kid.
Still going strong, keeps good time with one servcing donkey's ago. He's already bequethed it to his son AND he has the original bill of sale etc,. Their banter turns to envious nods of approval and he usually ends up with the 'in' crowd.
He good company anyway and doesn't need the watch but it breaks the ice nicely.

Crafty sod doesn't show them the 'Panerai' on the other wrist:)

E2a: For mong spelling.

Latest Threads