Which trade to choose?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by andrewb19, Jul 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I passed my BARB test last Friday, and I thought I knew what trades I wanted to do, but after speaking with my recruiter and some friends already serving, I am not entirely sure what I want to choose now.

I enjoy fixing and repairing things and I've always found physics and maths interesting. I am looking for a trade that will take advantage of these traits, as well as give me good prospects in civi street once I've finished my time in the Army.

My initial choices were Vehicle Mechanic, Electronics Technician and Communication Systems Engineer, but I've been told that VM is a poor choice for prospects after the Army and the other two are severly overmanned and that basic is few and far between.

I'm hoping someone with some experience could help me out.

Are there other trades I'm missing that could be a good choice?
    Which one is more likely to match what I enjoy?
  2. CS Eng is most certainly NOT overmanned.

Go onto the Sigs Forum, loads of info on there.
  3. If you say what qualifications you have it will make it easier for the guys here to say what you can and can't do. Some jobs you need certain quals for as i'm sure you're already aware of.
  4. I have 7 GCSEs graded A-C - combined with my BARB results, all job choices are open.
  5. have you tried looking on the official Army Careers website?

Clicky Clicky
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

7. if u like fixing things then look up fitter general on the army jobs website thats what im going in for u might lk the sound of it so have a browse at that pal!:)
  8. What have you been told is so bad about being a VM then?
  9. Thanks for the replies, guys.

WJP - everyone keeps telling me to avoid VM, as there are no prospects outside the Army.
    welshlad91 - General Fitter looks good, but there doesn't appear to be any decent qualifications with the trade.

Electronics Tech looks good, but I've heard they are overmanned and that intakes are few and far between.

It's a difficult choice to make, though one thing is for sure, I want the Army lifestyle.
  10. Ammo Tech in the RLC if you like the thought of playing with bombs...
  11. If you want the Army lifestyle then surely it doesn't matter about civvi job prospects later? In 22 years when you are a REME WO1 (or even LE Officer) will you be worried about whether the local Quick Fit will hire you or the AA with your VM background?

Do you want the Army to be fun and worthwhile or a springboard to a civvi job (like all the Signallers that left to work for mobile phone companies)?

Why not get A-levels and become an Officer?
  12. i agree i think joininng the army shouldnt be just a springboard otherwise youll get nothing out of it

hhahahah signallers working at carphone warehouse love it
  13. Well having been a VM for the past, well a few years anyway 9 I don't intend spannering when I finish in the far future!