Which TA in/around Leeds?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by roxie_leeds, Jun 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm thinking about joining the TA and was wondering if anyone had any info on the different units around Leeds. I'd be looking to join as an officer if possible. I work in the NHS but my job doesn't exist in the army so I'm a little unsure as where to look? The job is less important than the people I'd be with.

I would like a unit that is friendly, good atmosphere/morale and got a range of people with decent banter. I have gone to the recruitment office but they couldn't really tell me about the units themselves.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. DLOY in Wigan, not in Leeds not even in Yorkshire but great bunch, travel should not be a problem

3. 64 Sig Sqn in Sheffield. Any idea what you want to do and how far you want to travel?

4. Come to Carlton Barracks at Leeds on a tuesday night, there are two units there one Signals and one Artillery.

5. LI in Wakey, used to be a Sig Regt in Leeds on Wetherby Rd.
    38 I think?

6. Long gone I'm afraid; those members who stayed have become part of 299 PARA Squadron Royal Engineers, who incidentally are looking to recruit at the moment, especially young officers.

roxie_leeds, are you male or female; your user name is a bit ambiguous and it would help us suggest a good unit for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Can Smudger reccomend a unit?

8. I'd not want to travel more than an hour if possible. I'm a female and not quite so sure PARAs would be the best fit!

9. Look no further than the middle of Leeds

Carlton Barracks, Carlton Gate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 1HE

Parade Times: Tuesday, 7.30pm - 9.30pm

Recruiting Contact: Recruiting Team on 01904 668646.

Alternative number for the Squadron HQ is 0115 9789024.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 53 Military Intelligence Coy, York. Go on you know it makes sense.

Duncombe Barracks,
    Burton Stone Lane,
    YORK,
    YO30 6BU

01904 644046

11. 217 Transport Squadron (V)RLC
    TA Centre, Churchill Barracks, Whitelock Street, LEEDS, LS7 1AP

If you don't want a busmans holiday and want to get away from NHS/Medical stuff then thats the place to go. HGV license up to cat C+E, HAZMAT license anything to do with driving really. Always looking for good blokes(and Girls) and always keen to recruit officers with the right quals.

The Squadron is equipped with the Leyland-DAF Demountable Rack Off Load and Pick up System (DROPS) also known as a Medium Mobility Load Carrier (MMLC) It is capable of carrying 15 tons of stores or equipment cross country, this capacity can be doubled by the coupling of a trailer.

In additoin to the DROPS vehicle the Squadrons are equipped with the All Terrain Fork Lift Truck, Fuel Tankers, 350cc Motorcycles, Fitted For Radio (FFR) Land-Rovers, Field Catering Equipment and Modern Weapon Systems

Soldier Trades

To enable the Squadron to operate the Hi-tech vehicles and equipment, our soldiers are highly trained and skilled in a wide variety of trades, these include: Driver (C+E), Driver Radio Operator, Chef, Millitary Accountant and Clerks and Combat Medical Technicians.

The Squadron also has a Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer (REME) Workshop Section attached, who provide the trained Vehicle Mechanics, Electricians, Metal Smiths and Recovery Mechanics with skills and expertise in the repair of all the Squadron's equipment.

12. This should probably be re-named "The West Yorkshire 'My TA unit is better than yours!' Thread".

13. 4 Para Pudsey details from 4 Para website.