Which Road Bike

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Galileo82, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Personally I'd rather have gears. But if you do go for a single speed then it will be a lot easier to maintain without a derailleur. As long as you go to a proper cycle shop you should be able to test some and work out which is best for you.

2. Gears mean the whole thing is an easier ride, and make hills less of a horror. A good rode bike, Giant or Specialized will have pretty small gogs anyway so you will get a lot out of them, much smaller than mountain bikes.

If you havn't cycled a lot lately and you don't intend to cycle all the time then a good rode bike, with gears will be ideal for you.

I switched to a mountain bike a while ago as there are loads of off road tracks and stuff near my house, but i still miss doing 30 on the flats on an empty road with my road bike.

Oh, and get a helmet, some glove and cycling shorts with LOTS of padding.

3. Double post

4. The whole fixed wheel single speed thing is b*llocks - poor bloody couriers who can balance indefinitely trying to convince themselves that this abiility, and being able to do without a back brake, means it is worth going back to the 1930's.

The one thing you really need to think about is, how serious is the possibility of "the odd race"? As soon as you say racing then you need thin alloy rims, 700c wheels, drop outs that allow quick wheel changes..... and riding a bike like that on shitty roads will drive you nuts with pinch punctures and buckled wheels. I was out on my cheap Trek 3900 mountain bike yesterday. It doesn't feel as good as a road bike on smooth tarmac, and you are a bit slower, but what a pleasure not having the wheels trued up and then one pothole later and they are hitting the brake blocks again. It's good fun catching guys posing on road bikes on a mountain bike, trainers and a daysac :D

For normal road use - what most people need a bike for - I'd have a good quality mountain bike with mudguards, no suspension (my front suspension is pointless, it just adds weight, you don't need it on the road, you get more for your money if you don't have it), and a longer stem or banana seat post so that you can stretch out a bit, and maybe some bar ends for a change of hand position.

But if you are going to race then you are forced into something very different. A lot depends on the roads. A £140 pair of 700c wheels and 20mm tyres just ended up totally pissing me off. For most things the mountain bike is a superior tool.

5. I wouldn't get a single speed bike, don't think you get as much out of them as geared ones. If you want a geared bike, get one with a compact casette, this gives you a sligtly lower high gear and a lower low gear than on most road bikes fitted with a double casette. This is helpful if you live in a hilly area. £500 is a good budget to start on with looking at a road bike. You can look at good starter bikefs from trek (1.5) specialized (allez) and giant (tcr???). That is if you want an all out road bike, meaning that you won't be able to cycle along canal paths or on too rough surfaces. I point this out as the bike you are looking at above is a cyclocross bike which is more of a multi terrain bike and is ceartinley not as fast as proper road bikes on the flat. But if you want a fast-ish all rounder durable bike then you need to look at the cyclocross bikes and hybirds. Personally if I had £500 to spend I would get myself a Bianchi www.evanscycles.com/pr...tyle=87038 . These are nice bikes, I was originally going to get one of the bianchis but instead crashed my hybird into a car. If you could strech your budget to £800 it is well worth looking at the planet x bikes as these are simply amazing. Very well priced. The one for £800 is an aliminuim team bike and has race geometry which is good at that price. I would say though that with race geometry it isn't going to be as comfortable as a more sportive geometry but does mean you will be able to go faster.

6. have a look at decathlon Decathlon

they seem to be very well regarded for their bikes especially their road bikes it seems to be the general consensus among the cycling guru's at work that you seem to get alot of bike for your money.

zippy483

7. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

As a long standing (sitting?) mountain bike user who got bored of being overaken on the daily commute by lycra clad racing cyclists, I bought a decent 2nd hand racing bike (Mercian, obviously), and took it to the local bike shop for flat bars, puncture-proof tyres, etc. Lo and behold, a fast daily commuter capable of on/off pavement manoeuvres and with the better all-round awareness that a slightly more upright position gives. If you want to race, just put the racing bars and skinny tyres back on.

8. I've got a Specialized Sirrus for commuting, which has been great. I'm a big bugger and travel some shockingly bad roads, so I replaced the wheels with 36-spoke touring wheels to get a bit of extra life out of the true.

The one downside is that there aren't any mounts for traditional mudguards, but SKS Race Blades do just as well and are far easier to mag-to-grid in sunny spells.

If you're doing it for general fitness, I'd advise getting proper shoes and clip-in pedals. They take a wee bit of getting used to but spread the load more evenly over all the muscles in your legs.

9. Thanks for all the advice so far gents, it is much appreciated. I think I am going to stick with gears; I'm not so keen on the singlespeed revolution. I contacted Edinburgh Bicycles and they sent me this link:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f_pg=site_info/single-speed-bikes.htm&f_cardinal=10

As for bike make, I'm still thinking. I have to say I do quite fancy a Bianchi now that I've had a wee look around. I'll need to get in store and have a shot I think.

Thanks again

G82

10. Bianchi's are very good, and if you know anything about cycling Marco Pantani rode one, in my eyes better than the texan or the likes of Ullrich. Bianchi's come smaller than normal bikes so make sure you allow for that when you get one. I would get yourself to Evans a very good bike shop and they will fit you to it. But if you do get a Bianchi, get it in celeste, looks ace.

11. Cheers 5.56, you seem to know your stuff!

Has your avatar got anything to do with Pantani?!

12. I have never thought about my avatar and just chose it randomly. So I didn't choose it intentionally to have anything to do with Pantani, but now you have pointed it out I will keep it up. lol. As seem as he is the "Pirate"

13. I could cycle up mountains if I had the amount of drugs in my that Pantani used to take. Like him or not Lance's book was called "Its not about the bike", maybe at his level its not, but at this level it is.

£500 will get you a cracking bike from most makers. You might still be able to get some good deals on some of last years models at the moment, if you don't mind the colour being out of date and one or two of the components not being the latest kit. Shop around to see what fits you and who gives a good price. Most bike shops employ bikers and can be very helpfull with sizing and stuff.