Which Regiments used the Fox ARV?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by MTN1540, Aug 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am producing some artwork of the FV721 Fox ARV, the version fitted with the 30MM Rarden Turrets.

To go along side the artwork I am trying to piece together a bit of the history of the vehicle, I have the basics but I am trying to find out which regiments used this version of the Fox.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

2. Hi, try the TA who were based in Swindon in the 80S.
    Regards Gash.
  3. Royal Yeomanry
    Queens Own Yeomanry
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

All 3 of the LI Bns based at Weeton Camp in the 1980's, starting with 2nd Bn, then 1st Bn and finally 3rd Bn. 1LI also had them in Buller Bks Munster in 82/83 during its airportable phase but these were withdrawn after the 1983 Op Banner tour as the Bn became a trial unit in 6 Airmobile.
    The scaling was 8 vehicles per Bn all allocated to Recce pln although I rarely saw more than 3 working at a time.
  5. If you mean CVR(W), it was used by the recce platoons of 1LI and 1KOSB in the early 80s in Munster and Osnabruck respectively. Both battalions were non-mechanised and, IIRC, part of 5 Field Force.
  6. It was used by Recce Pls of non-Mech Inf Bns.
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The Fox CVR(W) was also used by a Squadron of the Tidworth Armd Recce Regt. (In 1976-77 this was A Sqn 15/19H.)

Never heard of a Fox ARV. I presume in you are saying ARV = Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle? ARV is an Armoured Recovery Vehicle.

Fow was a Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Wheeled).
  8. As well as the RY and QOY the UOTC armoured units had a couple each. Northumbrian racked this up to six, I think it was, as the JUO's dad commanded the RAC training regiment at Catterick and signed over four spares, issued in lieu of Scimitars for gunnery training, that he had in a hanger.
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Was the Fox well liked when it was in use irl? - always used them in tabletop gameing ultra moderns circa 1985!!
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We certainly liked them, a lot better than walking everywhere!
  11. RHG/D had a squadron of CVR(W) at Comberemere Barracks Windsor. They were not well liked; the REME repair shed was renamed the Fox Covert because they broke down so often and if you drove them fast round a corner they fell over!

It would be more interesting to hear about CVR (W) Vixen otherwise known as the "Fat Fox".
  12. Better than the Ferrets/Saladins that they replaced but with a filthy reputation for rolling if driven across a slope or cross country too fast: NUOTC lost at least one guy that way and when I visited an RY drill hall once I was almost blinded by several 'in memoriam' plaques from similar incidents.
    They also broke down a lot although the mechanical engineering students in the troop claimed that with a little work you could get 80mph out of them on a good day!
  13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You may wish to look at the www.hmvf.co.uk forums. There are some people there who own Foxes. I have learnt some interesting stuff about Fox servicing, which was a lot less straight-forward than CVR(T) servicing.

Our A Sqn got Fox primarily to learn to use the Rarden 30mm cannon. Fox was never intended for frontline service in BAOR, where close recce was provided by Scimitar.

Seeing our A Sqn in Fox, personally I felt happier in a Scorpion, but I can see why Fox crews liked them. What really put me off Fox was learning that one had rolled backwards end over end on the Plain just outside our barracks and killed a crewman. There were a lot of stories went round about Foxes rolling, but TBH, the armour was aluminium alloy and the turret was small in relation to the hull which contained three people, major assemblies etc and for me the maths don't add up.

By contrast the Mark 5 Ferret (remarkably similar shape but made of steel and mounting two Swingfire ATGMs in the turret) ought to my eye to have been less stable than the Fox. I did a couple of journeys on Mark 5 Ferrets, one the length of Northumberland on A-class roads between ranges and railhead and never once felt like we were anywhere near the Ferret's limits.
  14. Ayrshire and Carrick yeomanry had them as well
  15. They rolled one in front of the TV cameras at Bovy in 78 on an early edition of Top Gear pree Clarkson I think Raymond Baxter was the presentor