Which Regiment?

R

Roar0804

Guest
#1
I am currently in school and wish to pursue a career in HM Armed Forces. I want to go infantry (I have thought about getting a trade, but think I prefer infantry). Anyway origonally it was the Royal Marines I wanted to go for as they are classed as elite and go to a lot of differnt places like Belize and Norway for training but heard bad stories recently, like some Marines killing a Sapper. Then it was the Parachute Regiment because there is only about 2000 paras which seems like it would be very close knit, they are also classd as elite and go to Kenya and places often but they seem to take the piss out of other regiments (Crap hats and all that) which I dont agree with. Then it was the Rifles as they have a lot to offer (Light Infanty, Mechanised etc) and they can do the AACC if in 1Rifles, they also boast of being family like and encourage a lot of things, they are also my local regiment. But do these train abroad and stuff reguarly? How are they as a Regiment? and Which Infantry regiment out of all regiments) would you join? I have used the search button lol, this is just purely to help me and potentially others out?
Thanks alot.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#7
ANY British Infantry Regiment, and that includes Para, RM, and all line regiments.
 
#12
mortars2cg said:
Grizzly Panda said:
Lads, don't piss about.
.

I`m not pissing about,I`m ex Guards,So I think it`s fair to recommend the Guards
My point is this isn't a recommendation competition. Every bastard is going to say their own and it goes nowhere. This isn't a recruitment drive. He wanted info, provide it or do one.
 
#13
Roar0804 said:
I am currently in school and wish to pursue a career in HM Armed Forces. I want to go infantry (I have thought about getting a trade, but think I prefer infantry). Anyway origonally it was the Royal Marines I wanted to go for as they are classed as elite and go to a lot of differnt places like Belize and Norway for training but heard bad stories recently, like some Marines killing a Sapper. Then it was the Parachute Regiment because there is only about 2000 paras which seems like it would be very close knit, they are also classd as elite and go to Kenya and places often but they seem to take the piss out of other regiments (Crap hats and all that) which I dont agree with. Then it was the Rifles as they have a lot to offer (Light Infanty, Mechanised etc) and they can do the AACC if in 1Rifles, they also boast of being family like and encourage a lot of things, they are also my local regiment. But do these train abroad and stuff reguarly? How are they as a Regiment? and Which Infantry regiment out of all regiments) would you join? I have used the search button lol, this is just purely to help me and potentially others out?
Thanks alot.

Instead of letting duff rumours misguide you into a decision then why not get yourself down to Collie for the PARA insight course and decide for yourself. I'm sure RM and Rifles will run something similar. Even if you decide not to go PARA REG then the insight course will still be a worth while weekend for a keen young bloke such as yourself. I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for you to take the time to attend all 3 insight courses of your potential choices and then make a slightly more informed decision?

www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/4634.aspx
 
#16
GrizzlyPanda said:
mortars2cg said:
Grizzly Panda said:
Lads, don't piss about.
.

I`m not pissing about,I`m ex Guards,So I think it`s fair to recommend the Guards
My point is this isn't a recommendation competition. Every bastard is going to say their own and it goes nowhere. This isn't a recruitment drive. He wanted info, provide it or do one.
Yes, and it's a rumour service -not the careers service, so naturally people will recommend their own regiments. TBF if he went to an AFCO, he'll get prodded towards the recruiters regiment, but I would recommend that as his next move.
By the by GP, after a week on the site, and a whopping 274 posts, are you angling for a MODS status? :wink:
 
#17
The royal anglians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
#18
Make your own mind up. Join who you want to join, not because of some spankers recommendation on the internet.

I'd personally steer clear of a regt that takes 2 minutes to sound a mortar alarm when the officers mess gets "barrack busted"..........for the guy above......that'd be the Angle Irons.....you guys were pump in NI.
 
#19
smudge67 said:
Make your own mind up. Join who you want to join, not because of some spankers recommendation on the internet.

I'd personally steer clear of a regt that takes 2 minutes to sound a mortar alarm when the officers mess gets "barrack busted"..........for the guy above......that'd be the Angle Irons.....you guys were pump in NI.
i suspect things have changed a little since NI mate, i was a grenadier and did two tours in the eighties, but i'd put good money that the lads from all infantry regiments are better soldiers than we ever were, quite simply they've got to be nowadays.
 
#20
sfub said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
mortars2cg said:
Grizzly Panda said:
Lads, don't piss about.
.

I`m not pissing about,I`m ex Guards,So I think it`s fair to recommend the Guards
My point is this isn't a recommendation competition. Every bastard is going to say their own and it goes nowhere. This isn't a recruitment drive. He wanted info, provide it or do one.
Yes, and it's a rumour service -not the careers service, so naturally people will recommend their own regiments. TBF if he went to an AFCO, he'll get prodded towards the recruiters regiment, but I would recommend that as his next move.
True, but like I said, the guy wanted info - not every bugger jumping up and down shouting "one of us" without even giving a reason at all, let alone a decent one. This is supposed to help people, a person from every regiment/trade kicking off only adds to the confusion and does nothing else.

By the by GP, after a week on the site, and a whopping 274 posts, are you angling for a MODS status? :wink:
I know, quite chuffed meself. Every time I come on for a few mins there's enough to get me going for at least 10 posts 8O
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Infantry 46
B Aviation 50
Heavy_Lift Aviation 7

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top