Which Regiment/Corps wore this peaked cap ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Chimurenga, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have one of these peaked caps and was wondering which cap badge I should mate with it when I sell it ? Red band, red piping, dark blue crown, etc.

RAOC, isn't it ? Any other ?

[​IMG]

2. REME- the buttons either side should resemble the collar dogs.

3. AGC wear this type also.

4. I understood that it was issued to Regiments & Corps with a "Royal" prefix - eg Royal Artillery etc

5. what? Like the Royal Tank Regiment and the Royal Hussars?

6. What buttons are they? There's your biggest clue!

7. Hmmm! I'll have to blame the QM at All Arms Junior Leaders Regiment for that - BUT it was a long time ago (1964) when i believed everything anyone with 3 stripes told me.....!

8. King's Own Royal Border too. I had one!

9. Most Infantry..

10. Looks like standard infantry to me. Looks a bit battered though!

11. In fairness I heard a similar line. I think that it is nearer the truth to agree that when No1 Dress was first issued, for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, this was the standard Number One Dress Hat, I believe the dark blue Beret was the first headdress to go with the uniform.

Of course, the Army being the Army no-oner could stand being dressed the same so all the variations came in.

12. I did a blow up of the picture and the buttons could be the RAOC - you know where Ammunition Technicians originally came from.

13. I'd beg to differ on that (my bold in your quote). I was issued an all dark-blue forage cap in the RAMC in 1966. I believe it was only later that a maroon band was added.

MsG

14. That is a "Cap Service Royal" which is part of the Number 1 dress uniform, but in most of the army the Number 1 service cap (of whatever pattern) is worn with Number 2 dress. It was used by the rather a lot of people including among others:

The Royal Regiment of Artillery
    The Queen's Regiment
    The King's Own Royal Border Regiment
    The King,s Regiment
    The Royal Anglian Regiment
    The Royal Regiment of Wales
    The Royal Hampshire Regiment
    The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment
    The Royal Army Ordnance Corps
    The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
    The Royal Pioneer Corps

Of course today regiments such as The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment also use it, but someone more up to date than I will have to list them.

I suggest you look at the buttons on the side and see which crest is displayed on them.

15. [quote="Bugsy]I'd beg to differ on that (my bold in your quote). I was issued an all dark-blue forage cap in the RAMC in 1966. I believe it was only later that a maroon band was added.

MsG[/quote]

Just guessing and I stand corrected. Were you a Junior or did you go through the Recruit Trg wing?