• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Which Regiment/Corps wore this peaked cap ?

I have one of these peaked caps and was wondering which cap badge I should mate with it when I sell it ? Red band, red piping, dark blue crown, etc.

RAOC, isn't it ? Any other ?

what? Like the Royal Tank Regiment and the Royal Hussars?

Hmmm! I'll have to blame the QM at All Arms Junior Leaders Regiment for that - BUT it was a long time ago (1964) when i believed everything anyone with 3 stripes told me.....!

Most Infantry..

Looks like standard infantry to me. Looks a bit battered though!

Gunner4388 said:
Hmmm! I'll have to blame the QM at All Arms Junior Leaders Regiment for that - BUT it was a long time ago (1964) when i believed everything anyone with 3 stripes told me.....!
In fairness I heard a similar line. I think that it is nearer the truth to agree that when No1 Dress was first issued, for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, this was the standard Number One Dress Hat, I believe the dark blue Beret was the first headdress to go with the uniform.

Of course, the Army being the Army no-oner could stand being dressed the same so all the variations came in.

I did a blow up of the picture and the buttons could be the RAOC - you know where Ammunition Technicians originally came from.

western said:
Gunner4388 said:
In fairness I heard a similar line. I think that it is nearer the truth to agree that when No1 Dress was first issued, for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, this was the standard Number One Dress Hat, I believe the dark blue Beret was the first headdress to go with the uniform.

Of course, the Army being the Army no-oner could stand being dressed the same so all the variations came in.
I'd beg to differ on that (my bold in your quote). I was issued an all dark-blue forage cap in the RAMC in 1966. I believe it was only later that a maroon band was added.

MsG

That is a "Cap Service Royal" which is part of the Number 1 dress uniform, but in most of the army the Number 1 service cap (of whatever pattern) is worn with Number 2 dress. It was used by the rather a lot of people including among others:

The Royal Regiment of Artillery
The Queen's Regiment
The King's Own Royal Border Regiment
The King,s Regiment
The Royal Anglian Regiment
The Royal Regiment of Wales
The Royal Hampshire Regiment
The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment
The Royal Army Ordnance Corps
The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
The Royal Pioneer Corps

Of course today regiments such as The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment also use it, but someone more up to date than I will have to list them.

I suggest you look at the buttons on the side and see which crest is displayed on them.

[quote="Bugsy]I'd beg to differ on that (my bold in your quote). I was issued an all dark-blue forage cap in the RAMC in 1966. I believe it was only later that a maroon band was added.

MsG[/quote]

Just guessing and I stand corrected. Were you a Junior or did you go through the Recruit Trg wing?

Bugsy said:
I'd beg to differ on that (my bold in your quote). I was issued an all dark-blue forage cap in the RAMC in 1966. I believe it was only later that a maroon band was added.

MsG
It's always possible that there were ones I wasn't aware of but I'm pretty sure that in 1966, the only all dark blue Forage Hats were Royal Signals and the Welsh Guards; the WG cap, in common with all the Guards regiments, having a removable band

I checked the hat I have in my possession (the one pictured isn't it) and the buttons on the side have a crest which is a Queens Crown atop a shield which bears three cannon and the scroll below says "R.C.O.C." (not RAOC).

Does this clear things up or further confuddle them ?

ps. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate it.

Chimurenga said:
I checked the hat I have in my possession (the one pictured isn't it) and the buttons on the side have a crest which is a Queens Crown atop a shield which bears three cannon and the scroll below says "R.C.O.C." (not RAOC).

Does this clear things up or further confuddle them ?
Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps?

RCOC

Just whack a set of wings or a SAS dagger on it, and sell it as the No1 hat of the Paras or "them". Makes it worth more on e-bay.

If you can singe it a little, and make it smell of tear gas and smoke you can say it was worn by "them" whilst they sorted out the Iranian Embassy siege.