Which rank or job meant the most to you?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Micawber, Nov 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is probably best aimed at those amongst us who had a proper, lengthy career and shiined at least partIway up the greasy pole in doing so (ie not me).

I was wondering which rank you earned in your time meant the most to you and/or your family?

Was it your first stripe, perhaps, or the third and joining the Sgts' Mess, or when (if) you got your Warrant?

Or perhaps is was still the biggest day of all when you passed out as a recruit, glanced in the mirror and saw a soldier looking back at you?

Jobs as well, the first time you were left alone in charge of a spanner? Commanded a vehicle or a section?

They all mean something, but was there a single 'big' one that meant more than the rest?

2. L/Cpl then Cpl Aircrewman Observer. Giving instructions on where to drive, to someone who outranked me, followed closely by Sgt Aircraft Commander, giving instructions on where to drive, to someone who (frequently) outranked me.

My last posting had me allocating helicopter resources at HQNI, which chiefly revolved around giving sightseeing trips to attractive women, and taking the piss out of the RAF.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Second head cleaner. E wing. HMP Durham. Happy days.

• Like Like x 2
  4. My best job was in the stores...handing in my 1157.

• Like Like x 4
  5. My best day was the morning after I broke into Redford Barracks NAAFI in 1991.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Call me cynical, but it is the current one because it means the difference between a decent pension and a good one.

7. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

The next rank

8. no next one for me, ceiling reached.

9. Best rank was probably captain, but best appointments were Pl Comd and Coy comd...

**** all to do with the rank - All to do with the job.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Being a Rent-boy at Kings Cross Station...got some self-respect back!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pte to LCpl. Fcuk me that was a hard year from joining to passing out as a fully fledged monkey.

12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Signals Sgt and BQMS, outstanding posts

13. Best time I've had is as a tom.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Warrior Driver.....................except track bashing

15. was responsible for a short time in 1970 for 12 wracs and cars at thiepval bks...didn't get to shag any....**** I must have been an ugly sod.