Which pistol to shoot whilst visiting Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by pull_through, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently taken on a new project at work which has meant spending a month or so with Uncle Sam in Washington State. I've been chained to the desk for the past few weeks but feel I've earned the brownie points to slope off to the range and take full advantage of the second amendment.

Last time I worked out here, I borrowed a colleague's 1911 .45 and was a big fan, even though it’s got more bang than the browning, the weight keeps it in check, plus if it goes click not bang you can still use it as a club.

I'd appreciate suggestions of what "not to miss" on my all to brief trip to the range since I really don't have my finger on the pulse of the handgun scene for obvious reasons.

2. 41 Special Colt SAA
  3. The Desert Eagle in .50! :?

I know, I know, as a gun, it is FuCking useless, but I do believe that it is something that has to be tried, just for the comedy value of how pointless it is.

Most range shops have one to hire.
  4. I yielded to the same childish insticts last time and hired the S+W 500 Magnum for $30, inc 5rds.

I was thinking of something not just ridiculously huge but more of a pistol that feels like shaking hands with an old friend but also puts a sledge hammer in the bull everytime?
  5. Colt single action army perhaps 8O
  6. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

If you're after something mainstream...

I'm fifteen years out of practice, but back in the day I found my Glock 21 worked very well indeed. Glocks feel like horrible plastic when you handle them empty, but load and fire them and they just seem to work.
  7. As many as you can or cant afford youll probably never get the chance again.Spend Spend Spend I miss my S&W Mod 29 44Mag 4" Revolver.Now thats a shooter. :x
  8. I cried when I got rid of my 629 8" cannon
  9. Webley Mk. VI ?
  10. Why not go for broke and stay there? Then you can shoot all you like when you like.

If I was in your position and if it is legal in that State, I would hire an AK (full auto version) and hose off a mag or 2, just for the hell of it.
  11. All of them. :)
  12. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Ruger GP100 revolver in .357 Magnum - I shot the 4" barreled version and it's a wonderful gun. Predictable, if fierce, recoil, but accurate. I seriously think I could have shot it single handed.

Failing that, go for a Kimber 1911. If you like the .45ACP thing, shoot a Kimber; it improves on a classic. Or maybe a Sig P2340... .40 cal fun, although I did find it quite whippy on the recoil compared to the Kimber.
  13. Keep it simple, a nice S&W 357 mag. cock the hammer by hand for best accuracy.

14. :idea: try a Freedom Arms 454 Casull - up to 2100 ft lbs muzzle energy from a 7.5 inch barrel, and if I remember shooting mine correctly, you'd swear that you'd shot crap, but then find a great group at 25 metres.

And, when you're not shooting it, you can marvel at the quality of the piece, especially if it's the Premier grade (£932 in 1992, and that was the cheapest you could get it back then).