Which part of Africa next?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Mar 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

And gaining on Sudan, already leaving Zimbabwe trailing, comes Eritrea:

The UN says Ethiopia has moved over 30,000 troops up to the Eritrean border, most of them near the disputed town of Badme. This breaks down to approximately six new divisions. Ethiopian infantry divisions have roughly 5000 troops. Ethiopia now has 90,000 troops in the area.

http://www.strategypage.com//fyeo/qndguide/default.asp?target=ETHIOPI.HTM

msr

2. The Eritrians are f*cked then?

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope, the Eritreans can take care of themselves pretty well, and have given the Rastas a few good kickings :)

4. How about we stop selling weapons to these crackpot despots, and i return for financial aid we demand political reforms and clear up the inherent corruption?

5. msr

msr LE

A renewal of fighting along the Ethiopia-Eritrea front now would be waged with more passion, and with new and better arms, than ever before, damaging both states in devastating ways and almost certainly pushing them into famine. It would also exacerbate tensions in a far wider sphere and create new openings for global terrorists to expand their operations.

In addition to this, a US failure on the diplomatic front will undermine confidence in all such internationally arbitrated settlements. The most serious consequence could be the collapse of peace talks in Sudan, in which the US is heavily invested — and where access to some of the world’s largest untapped oil reserves [my emphasis] awaits the end of the fighting.

Such an outcome would prove a political catastrophe for the Bush administration as it seeks to convince a skeptical American public going into an election season that this country and the world are safer today than they were before the "war on terror" got underway. The fact that both Eritrea and Ethiopia are charter members of Bush’s much-touted "coalition of the willing" in Iraq could then prove more than a little embarrassing

http://www.afsc.org/pwork/0402/040218.htm

6. msr

msr LE

7. Remember stage directions for Aida. Act 2 Scene I "The Egyptian army, having defeated the Ethiopians, returns home in triumph" Often described as the Egyptian Armys only battle honour.
    Just thought someone other than me should know this

8. we should sell the more weapons like SA80

9. we should sell the more weapons like SA80

10. I think they are doing just fine with their Russian made AK's/RPG's. But those folks really seem to like using their machete, it may even be the weapon of choice in many parts of Africa. The dead are the lucky ones, because they seem to really like boiling or grilling their victims.

11. what about a damn good borderline napalm strike a'la vietnam?? if placed with laser accuracy we could take 3 warring factions out in one sweep.

12. However, it goes on to say that's 1 in 12 of the population. So they need a peace deal soon, as their economy cannot sustain this.

13. Christ, it's like watching a train wreck.

Where are all the tree-huggers now, kicking up a fuss about those poor Africans. Case in point. Maximum financial leverage should be applied to these b*ggers. No aid without reform. No aid without peaceful settlement over disputed territories. No aid without peaceful coexistence with outer tribes.

It's time for some big stick.