Which number is greater, Military or Civil MOD staff

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WhiteHorse, Dec 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Listening to radio 2 the other day, Jeremy Vine reported that they had asked the MOD which was higher the number of Armed Forces or the Civil Staff, form his response the MOD didnt know.

So which is higher? Should'nt it be the "Fighting half"?

2. MOD staff - in my loc they have grown by 50%

BTW - Brown is bringing on the equivalent of one infantry regt A WEEK into the civil service and still cutting us.

500 a week 8O

3. I did read something some months back and the figures were very disturbing. In that it did appear the fighting half is larger than the civil staff but not significantly.

4. AND ... they ain't all on squaddies pay

Who's asking the questions????

Keetch???

Fat Boy Soames ???

5. Am I wrong or would that be 500 EXTRA comfy chairs a week too?

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don't have the exact numbers to hand but the MoD civil service staff have outnumbered the forces for some time now.

Sir Humphrey Appleby has become reality. If it wasn't so sh1te it would be funny.

7. There was an article in the papers - Scotsman, Glasgow Herald and Telegraph - about this in Late September / early October. At that point there was approximately 5,000 more MoD civil servants than the whole of the armed forces.

You do the math...

8. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

MOD civilian staff approx 80,000. Army approx 100,000. RN approx 44,000. RAF approx 48,000.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope, they certainly aren't. Most of the people I work with earn consdierably less than squaddies. Given, they don't get shot at a lot (depends where in London they live, of course) but even so Civil Service pay isn't good. Even the pension is being mucked about with, and that's the only thing that keeps a lot of people working.

Have a look at what the MoD pays a Civvy Vehicle Fitter, or Welder, and compare it to what they are paid elsewhere. It's no wonder there are lots of vacancies.

10. Then look at the claims they put in to supplement their meagre wages. They have access to military white fleet vehicles when on work related jobs but take their own and claim for fuel.

11. #

That they are all lighting their cigars with hundred pound notes was never likly, but even if they got paid less on average than a squaddie, it's the numbers, the sheer scale that gets me.

Time for them to be re-roled, more troops for iraq perhaps?

12. How do you intend to re-role Fat Eric the diesel fitter and Fag-ash Madge the typist?
    Armoured or Airmobile?

13. How do you intend to re-role Fat Eric the diesel fitter and Fag-ash Madge the typist?
    Armoured or Airmobile?

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Great soundbite mate - but the Ministry of Defence is NOT recruiting 500 civilians a week, so I'm not sure where all these good folk may be beavering away - Ministry of Regional Macrobiotic Yoghurt Weaving ?

FWIW, MoD Civilian manpower has decreased by around 35% in the time I've been in Her Madge's employ.

There's a pocket brief from DASA with all this in - talk amongst yourselves for a moment , enjoy the Mozart...... ah here we go -
    http://centre.defence.mod.uk/dasa/publications/pdfs/pocketbriefs/defperpocket.pdf

In June 2003 there were 88,550 MoD CivService compared to 206,440 Service personnel - all ranks.

If I can find a more recent copy I'll post how the picture has changed in the last 18 months. :)

Lee Shaver

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...see above....which planet exactly Sarge?...oh, Down Under...nuff said really.....keep taking the Swan mate, 'cos the pills are NOT working!

Le Chevre