Which non-issue smocks?

I've seen a few Keela SF smocks being worn recently, and was wondering which other non-issue smocks are currently popular among serving British forces?

I've seen a few brands for sale, such as Arktis, Solo, Bulldog, Defcon 5, Level Peaks, etc. Are any of these actually being used by forces members? I know that Arktis has still a big following here in Denmark, but I don't think I've even seen their smocks in MTP.

Or has the PCS system pretty much killed the market for non-issue smocks?

1543048171860.png
1543048209859.png
1543048246794.png
1543048319573.png

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As stated in that bloody good paper @ugly found about PLCE trials in the 60s and 70s, it doesn't matter how good issue kit is - soldiers will always buy private. Sometimes because of superior build quality and feature set, sometimes through misplaced belief that a certain bit of issue tissue is shit.

Also partly to give them some individualism.

We reviewed the Keela SF, it's a good jacket but.... Meh.... It's just a jacket. I've got the issue one and it's fine. Not as high spec but still fine.

I think also for smocks, the market is more limited as it's going to get wrecked if you're a proper soldjy, and you don't really want to be leopard crawling for 100m in your £200 smock. :D

So I'd suggest the market opportunities are far more limited for this particular product.

Misterio

Old-Salt
The latest issue windproof is about as good as it gets imo. I've removed the velcro from the arms and just sewn the patches on, same as for the shirt before the new barrack shirts came in.

I'm still trying to get my hands on one of those issue waterproof smocks with the dropliner and standard smock outer. Ebay has them but at about £100 i'll stick to a standard waterproof for the time being.

As stated in that bloody good paper @ugly found about PLCE trials in the 60s and 70s, it doesn't matter how good issue kit is - soldiers will always buy private. Sometimes because of superior build quality and feature set, sometimes through misplaced belief that a certain bit of issue tissue is shit.

Also partly to give them some individualism.

We reviewed the Keela SF, it's a good jacket but.... Meh.... It's just a jacket. I've got the issue one and it's fine. Not as high spec but still fine.

I think also for smocks, the market is more limited as it's going to get wrecked if you're a proper soldjy, and you don't really want to be leopard crawling for 100m in your £200 smock. :D

So I'd suggest the market opportunities are far more limited for this particular product.
I popped into Frontline Military Supplies in Larkhill a few weeks back, to buy a small drybag to put any brown trout I hoped to catch that day in.
There were a few squaddies in and as I was selecting which size bag would be appropriate, one of the lads was getting his card out to pay for a set of pouches, belt, yolk.
" That'll be £230 " says the lady .
And he paid it ! FFS you can get it for free down at the QMs and then spend £230 on beer and slappers !
Only Gucci kit I ever bought was a quality beret from that shop in Aldershot and a green zipup Peter Storm which was good for static patrols in the pissing rain.

Purple_Flash

ADC
Why would you spend loads of money for a smock covered in buttons and elastic cord that will snag? The issue design was changed precisely to get rid of all that. The designer of this abomination obviously never worked around cam nets.
Or submarine hatches!

The Germans used to have a smock based on a THEM smock presumably due to the old ILRRP school contact. I had one given to me and passed it on as I did not like all the extra bellows pockets that went around the sides and bum.

In the 70's I had occasion to buy a couple of tatty grade DPM combat jackets from Silverman's and then exchange them for new via Man at Q&M, to have a couple of decent spares. This new fangled PCS issue looks pretty decent from what I've seen.

Issue windproofs does the job, once you trim the hood back.
The black or olive liner smock is too warm for belt buckle slivering, yet ideal for static stuff
The initial lightweight waterproof adheres to the project Payne idea
Keela well that’s right Gucci
The Helikon light fighter is actually ideal

Yes, I've seen that one. Touted as being a KSK smock.

Edit: Here's one: BW KSK Smock Combat Jacket used flecktarn new at ASMC
The Fernspaeher used to wear them and then as a company of Fernspaeher morphed into a sizeable chunk of the KSK it went with them.

I think they are still worn but there is a bit of a change going on with Flecktarn there is a sort of multicam version of it knocking around - I dunno if they finished trialling it or not. However, re the smocks Mike Seul had Crye make box loads of Crye gear in Flecktarn for them.....they don't like the Crye style multicam, they want to stick with their Flecktarn.

Last edited:

Latest Threads