Which new glass to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well soon I'll be getting a nice custom rifle back built on a Remy 700 action, only the serial number will remain as original, but it made the paperwork easy.
    Its a 7mm, and will be used for static hunting from boxes/seats, and also I'll be dropping it into an AI stock for tactical competitions out to max 600mtrs.
    I'm not a fan of huge and heavy glass PMII style, and I prefer 30mm to 34mm so I can swap rings/mounts etc with other stuff I have.
    Short list and prices:
    Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 Illum. Reticle = 1000
    Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 NXS = 1500
    Hensoldt 6-24x56 = 2-3000 if I can actually get one

I have a couple of nice Zeiss hunting scopes so that bit is covered, but it would mean re-mounting.
    So bias towards tactical.

Any other thoughts and recommendations?

P.S. I'll also be looking for a moderator to fit a M18X1 thread at some point too.
  2. Not going to help you really, but I'm binning my Eotech and planning to put on a Nikon 1-4x20 M-223 Matte Point Blank. Astygmatism is causing me to see two little red dots in the holo sight and all other illuminated sights I've peered through to try and find a solution. Perfectly fine with traditional optics so thats the future for me.

Nikon 1-4x20 M-223 Matte Point Blank Reticle Riflescope FREE S&H 8485, NI-RS-8485-KIT. Nikon M-223 Rifle Scopes, Nikon Rifle Scopes.

I'd be interested to hear what people have to contribute to your question as in the long term I want to add a 700 on an AI chassis to my armoury.
  3. I like Nightforce optics and they are compatible with the Archer/Longbow intensifiers. Good fox medicine.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

How would you compare them to Zeiss or other high-end glass performance wise?
    They appear rugged, are they in reality?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I remember what must have been the first nightforce in the UK grey imported by a foxer in the midlands, good then about 15 years ago and the Kiwis swear by them. Me I would go German!
  6. Hand tailoring for task is a big plus, obviously you pay for the privilege. At that level the build quality, lens grinding, coating etc. is in my opinion pretty good. I have heard rumours that the new Zeiss optics have some build quality problems. Finally, I can't help feeling that the European scopes place a premium on their brand names. As ever get your hands on before making a decision.

7. If you want to avoid paying the very heavy brand name premium, worth taking a look at the Bushnell Elite range. I purchased a Elite 6500 4.5-30 for the princely sum of £600 to sit atop an old and not very wonderful rifle but very soon found itself promoted onto an F-TR rifle. Very bright, solid and stands up against much more expensive offerings

Access Message
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If I'm stateside I always pick up the latest Leupold offering and grey import it as hand luggage.Works out usually better than half price!
  9. to my mind you can not beat Sand b zenith
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

11. Three good choices with the Nightforce being the most underrated. My choice would be the Zeiss, but shooting out to 600m I would also consider 4-16x56:-

34mm Rings - Check

Standard Mil-Dot Reticle - Check

Good BDC System - Check

Variable Reticle Illum - Check

Din ISO 9002 - Check

Relatively Low Height on Standard Rings - Check

Weight - 900g

Great light magnification with the 56 front tube.

There are some good T/S comparison videos on YouTube (www.snipers hide.com) including one between the Hensoldt and a SB that you might find useful.

I have a Hensoldt on order to replace a S&B on a .300 WinMag barrel and I will move the S&B over to a .338 Lapua barrel.

Good luck.
  12. 99 times out of a hundred you'll get away with it, but there is that 1 time when you'll get collared by the US TSA or Customs and Border Patrol and they will throw the ITAR book at you. Just to demonstarte the silliness of their ITAR regs; I was looking at scope rings this past week and all of them were marked up as "not for export".

<cough> the best way with optics is to put them loose in a camera bag <cough> That way you can say you use it for long distance spotting for bird watching if they notice it amongst the other paraphenalia.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I buy binos and hang them round my neck luckily with scopes its usually sporting ones and they don't seem to be so much bother!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  14. I'm not a telescopic sight person, I know very little about them and rely on good advice. Reading some bits and pieces yesterday I discovered that Redfield scopes are made by Leupold and are significantly cheaper. In fact the Redfield line became so popular and demand was so high that they had to stop producing Leupolds on the lines at the factory and just produce Redfields.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it makes Redfields a bargain Leupold.